Chromeknight

MOC: PF Class 08 Shunter

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

A power functions loco based on the British Rail Class 08. I've had this built for a while now, but thought it was time to show it off to you lovely people.

I have been inspired by various people who've shown their versions of this loco here and on brickshelf, but I think I've done enough things differently that others might be inspired by my work in turn.

Of course, I can see half a dozen places where I could do things differently or add reinforcement, but for now, enjoy!

Pictures are links, click through to see bigger and others.

8722526252_ef45755545_z.jpg

8722526302_fa2f3b7b2e_z.jpg

8722556254_3e7ed71cb6_z.jpg

8722556306_2e36371fa7_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Really nice how you add that third wheel to the PF motor. Simple to implement, but I actually forgot all about that hole in the middle.

Nice compact build!

Indeed a good idea for the third wheel. Can I ask how it handles the curves with that third wheel, does it bind at all or is it OK?

Looks as though you have the main features in and it is easy to see what the engine is supposed to be. Hiding the battery box was the most difficult part of the build when I attempted one myself and a similar plate setup was needed.

This is an awesome MOC, I used to sit and watch these with my dad running in the shunting yard not far from my house. This looks just like the real thing

That's a really cool little shunter and it has all the character of the prototype. A useful looking solution to mounting the centre driving wheels too.

Indeed a good idea for the third wheel. Can I ask how it handles the curves with that third wheel, does it bind at all or is it OK?

If the bushes are pushed in tight it binds, but there's plenty of axle to back them off. If it makes a rattling sound when you shake it, you're good to go!

Interesting. I'm currently building a PF version of one of these also: Power Functions 08 BR shunter

I've used technic half pin/axles to hold the centre wheel in

I love the compactness of the motion and the greebles you've done, but ditch those ladders! They are way too big!

Some of Zephyr's custom ladders might do the trick.

Those British shunters (I'd call it a switch engine :wink: ) are cool and you've really done them justice with that little gem.

Joe

Like! Been wanting to build something similar for ages, and this may be the motivation I need!

Agree with comment about removing ladders though - looks just a tad oversized

AWESOME shunter 'Chromeknight', though please fix those ladders......but now I will say the third wheel idea.....pure genius - Brick On ! :grin:

I love the compactness of the motion and the greebles you've done, but ditch those ladders! They are way too big!

I was thinking similarly that the ladders were too large for the build (still a great little build BTW)

Some of Zephyr's custom ladders might do the trick.

Sure, some of my ladders would work, or if you wanted to keep it 100% lego, some 60478 might be in order.

60478.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I'm glad it is an isnpiration, even if it pales a little next to Bricktrix's.

I will revisit this moc, and be back with freight cars and lineside after we finish moving, sometime mid July.

On 09/05/2013 at 5:22 AM, Chromeknight said:

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

A power functions loco based on the British Rail Class 08. I've had this built for a while now, but thought it was time to show it off to you lovely people.

I have been inspired by various people who've shown their versions of this loco here and on brickshelf, but I think I've done enough things differently that others might be inspired by my work in turn.

Of course, I can see half a dozen places where I could do things differently or add reinforcement, but for now, enjoy!

Pictures are links, click through to see bigger and others.

8722526252_ef45755545_z.jpg

8722526302_fa2f3b7b2e_z.jpg

8722556254_3e7ed71cb6_z.jpg

8722556306_2e36371fa7_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'm looking at making this myself, how does the PF motor sit under the battery box? I'm looking at that first hurdle

Hi Lister, welcome to EB. But please remember that we have some rules (see my signature), please re-read them. Don't bump and also be cautious to quote lots of images! Apart from that, hope you will have a good stay. Feel free to share your ideas about LEGO trains and other LEGO related things.