XimenaPaulina

79108 Stagecoach Modification

How do you find this modification?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find this modification?

• Better than the original stagecoach
    • I like the original better

Even before I got the 79108 Stagecoach Escape set, I already knew from the official set images and even from the earlier convention pics that the stagecoach would be a bit, actually not just a bit but quite oversized for minifig-scale. When I finally built the set, despite the visually-pleasing overall design of the stagecoach, I wasn't really fond of its glaring oversized proportions. So the natural thing for me to do was to modify it, and good thing with a little bit of scavenged extra parts here and there and some nice ol' building time, I was able to make some minor modifications that signifcantly improved its relative size with respect to the other elements (horse, minifigs):

Modifications:

• First thing I changed was the wheels, downsizing both pairs to their next smaller sizes (back: 56mm --> 43mm diameter, front: 43mm --> 33mm diameter).
  • I reduced the length of the stagecoach by two studs by removing one pair of doors (one door per side was enough IMO).
  • I decreased the height of the stagecoach by 1 brick by removing the two huge curved cockpit piece underneath, plus another plate height at the top.
  • I made the connection of the horses nearer to the stagecoach so they wouldn't be quite far as in the original model.
  • I removed the "baggage launching mechanism" at the back and simply made the space as baggage storage.

Here are some pics of the modified 79108 Stagecoach:

8716541346_fd203c6765_c.jpg

Yeah I know, the differently-colored wheels are eyesores :blush:, but those are are the only ones I have at the moment until I get my BL orders. Do note that there is no dark tan 33mm-dia. wheel to match the the 43mm-dia. one used in the set, so if ever you're going to change the wheels bear in mind that the only matching colors for the 43mm-dia. and 33mm-dia. wheels are reddish brown or black.

8716541060_a5412a6fe2_o.jpg

Here's a complete side view, where we could see better how the relative size, particulaly the height of the stagecoach, is now more realistic-looking. :sweet:

8715419913_6436b647cb_o.jpg

One compromise I had to make when I downsized the wheels was I had to change the front working wheel mechanism of the original model to this (unfortunately) more blocky version using standard wheel holders of CITY vehicles. This is the only part that I'm not much happy about, but there seems to be no other way to attach the small wheels using other parts other than this specific type of wheel holders.

8716539578_4918062cfc_o.jpg

A quarter back view showing the simpler baggage storage area replacing the 'baggage launching mechanism' of the original model.

8715419275_2de0811e60_o.jpg

The good thing about this mod is the interior space was retained and you could still comfortably seat two minifigs inside even with their bulky hair, hat, or headdress pieces. Also, the roof can still be detached/attached easily with the minimal studs of the connection point.

Comprison of the Modified (left) and Original (right) 79108 Stagecoach

8715417245_860ab2889f_c.jpg

Clealry you could see in this side-by-side comparison how much better the size of the modified stagecoach is compared to the original model. The good thing about this is majority of the overall design and details were retained despite the reduction in size.

Reference Pic of a real Stagecoach:

8716936788_6662f99e61_z.jpg

Overall Thoughts:

I am very satisfied how this mod turned out, and now I could happily display the stagecoach knowing it suits my visuals better. :grin: What's good about this mod job is it didn't require too many or too complex additional pieces, the parts used were quite common and the only part you may be needing are the two pairs of wagon wheels in the same color.

For those who want to "fix" their 79108 stagecoach also, I prepared the instructions so you could do these modifications if you want to.

Note: These instructions are oversimplified compared to the standard step-by-step procedure of TLG instructions, so pls. bear the lack of piece call-outs, but I know the AFOLs in you would figure everything out (hopefully!).

8715418795_8ee8f65233_o.jpg

Alternatively, for those who use LDD, here is the LXF file so you could see the virtual model of this modified stagecoach: LXF

8716536806_1b8c72712b_c.jpg

Modified 79108 Stagecoach by Kiel.Da.Man

Note: Pls. kindly use the instructions and/or the LXF file 'responsibly'. Thanks. :classic:

Thanks for looking! As always, comments, violent reactions are welcome! :grin:

Very nice. As tchuk-norst said, it removes the unnecessary bulk. Now only if this was the original set, with a price reduction of $5-10 :tongue:

This is a great improvement. Everything that really bothered me in this set was the height of the Stagecoach and now it is perfect! The rear wheel in the original really is a bit of an overkill. If only the smaller wheel would also come in tan ... Or at least the rear wheel could be used in black from POTC London Escape. Great job!

Great mod, the height is much improved and the fact that it can still set two figs is a plus. Methinks reddish brown wheels would go better than black, though. The front and back do seem a bit less rounded off in the mod, I guess since the overall length is smaller. Looks much more realistic however! :thumbup:

AWESOME modifications 'Kiel', I'll be building the original as per the set but I might just have to build your coach redesign to display in my Aussie country town layout ! :wink:

Good job on the much improved MOD here! From my somewhat limited resarch, the majority of stagecoach manufacturers built them about twice the size of the horse team. Iv'e sat in a real one before, but I can't remember it I ever got to go for a ride in one. Now I can live out that western fantasy vicariously through my LR minifigs. Thanks, partner.

:caroler:<---- cowboy hat

Ah, now this is what LEGO is about! If you're not satisfied with a set, make it better (unless it's a helicopter from the Superheroes line, in which case, just scrap it for parts)! I haven't gotten the Stagecoach yet, so I can't behold its ridiculousness for myself, but this is a wonderful MOD.

Great job Kiel!

I doubt anyone will have a violent reaction to this! The mod keeps the integrity of the stagecoach while significantly improving its size. I wonder why LEGO didn't do this. Maybe the wheel mechanism, or maybe the film coach actually is oversized! I like yours much better. Great job, Kiel!

Thanks for the feedback guys! :classic:

The front and back do seem a bit less rounded off in the mod, I guess since the overall length is smaller.

Yeah I wish I could've retained the U-shape of the stagecoach's bottom, but there are no current inverted curved slopes with a steeper curve angle than the 1x6 ones so that's one of the details of the original that were compromised in this mod.

I wonder why LEGO didn't do this. Maybe the wheel mechanism, or maybe the film coach actually is oversized!

In fairness to the designers I think they just adhered with their standard design protocols - aesthetic accuracy, build stability, and working functionality/playability - which I honestly think they got a good balance of with the stagecoach in the set. The compromise in the relative size proportion is not something we haven't seen before in sets (e.g. oversized truck in Cosmic Cube Escape), so it's not really surprising.

The mod that I made, even if the size is more realistic minifig-scale-wise, has its own share of compromises: the U-shape of the body became less pronounced, some build elements are not as stable as in the original (e.g. the red inverted curves at each side are only connected at the top without any connection at the bottom), and some functionality had to be sacrificed (front working wheel mechanism was removed to accomodate the smaller wheels), etc.

At the end of the day, I made my mod as an AFOL who will be displaying this set on the shelf. On the other hand, the set designers obviously had kids in mind (since this is a toy afterall) so understandably they had to build a stable, playable, and nice-looking set that kids will enjoy playing.

What a fabulous improvement! So far my kids are enjoying the LEGO version, and I honestly didn't notice the size discrepancy until I read your review of the original set. However, I plan to build a western town and fort, and with the original model being so huge I was worried about how this set would look in comparison. With this mod that you've so generously shared, now I have an easy way to mod my stagecoach when I need to. Thanks so much and great work!

Well obviously this is your first go at it, but still I think it could be modded further, so that the front wheels do turn. It would not be a mechanism as detailed as the original, but I guess there's still enough space to squeez a 2x2 turntable in between. Even if it mens lifting the Stagecoach for a plate it would still be an improvement from the original height ...

Well obviously this is your first go at it, but still I think it could be modded further, so that the front wheels do turn. It would not be a mechanism as detailed as the original, but I guess there's still enough space to squeez a 2x2 turntable in between. Even if it mens lifting the Stagecoach for a plate it would still be an improvement from the original height ...

Curiously I did think of putting a 2x2 turntable to approximate the turning mechanism of the original model, but decided to forego it for two reasons:

1. It will elevate the stagecoach one plate higher (like what you mentioned) thus negating the purpose of the mod (even if only a bit).

2. I thought the ball-and-socket connection already serves the purpose of allowing freedom of movement for the horse-stagecoach set-up (right-left-up-down movement), so a second one may be redundant (though I assume the front wheel mechanism of the original model was based on the design of real stagecoaches).

I'm sure there are still other solutions to have a working front wheel mechanism that may be worth exploring (like a 88072.jpg-4085b.gifconnection perhaps?) but in the end I was already satisfied with my initial mod so I didn't fix that issue (but I do encourage others to improve this mod further! :classic:).

Great mod. I'll definately be copying this when the LR sets are finally released in the UK. One suggestion: From the side it looks like the front axle could do with moving back one more stud or maybe a half stud. The wheel base still looks slightly too long for the carriage. Maybe this wheel holder from the coffin car would work? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2926

(Ed: Maybe not - I see you need 6 wide, not 4)

Apart from that it's perfect.

Edited by Missing Brick

Outstanding mod ! I was thinking about doing exactly the same thing ! I only need to find a decent deal now ><

It is a very nice mod. I love that about LEGO.

However, I may be the only that prefers the original over this, only because I think the rounded undercarriage shape is essential and the larger out of scale version nailed it. I do agree that one door is enough. I don't mind the out of scale version, but I can understand completely why you modded yours. I considered doing that, but I wanted to maintain the same function with the wheels.

I think one of the main problems with scale, as if the coach wasn't already too tall, let's add a safe on top to make it appear even taller... Simply removing that might help with the size distortion, if only a little.

But keep up the great work. If you come up with any other mods, please share with us.

This looks awesome with your modifications. It's my favourite set from the Lone Ranger series and you've made it even better. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the additional feedback! :classic:

I think one of the main problems with scale, as if the coach wasn't already too tall, let's add a safe on top to make it appear even taller... Simply removing that might help with the size distortion, if only a little.

Yeah, the safe on top does make the stagecoach even look taller than it should be, that's why in the comparison pic I intentionally removed it (by photoshop). It still looks out-of-scale but a bit better than with the safe on top.

8715417245_860ab2889f_c.jpg

I understand your preference for the original build, I really wish I could've retained that curved shape at the bottom, so I guess that is one room for improvement for this mod. I'm pretty sure there are various ways and solutions to further improve this stagecoach, and I'd be happy to see others' take on this mod job. :classic:

Nice job, Kiel! I actually like this one better than the set, and it turned out very well. I like how similar it looks to a real stagecoach, as well.

I think the only thing I have a problem with is that the bottom isn't curved, but you even said you wished it could have been curved, so I don't see a huge problem.

I'm definitely going to pick this set up now! Should fit in great with my pirates sets!

Great that you have aded a instructions for us! This MOD is simply amazing- this is how the set should look like, and they could add some other parts to it or even more figures for the same price. I'm tottaly MODing it as soon I will get it! :D

Thanks so much for this! I put this together this morning and immediately starting thinking of ways to improve it/reduce the size.

This thread came up first in a Google search of "lego 79108 mod", by the way.

The eliminations of features are a fair trade off for a better scale. Bravo!