ER0L

MOC: Monorail Train (7w) with PowerFunctions

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

8710255722_9d6296fe17.jpg

Hi all,

being a car builder mainly I am working on some background for the cars, and when I was offered a monorail I thought this might fit with what I am actually planning. In my view the monorail can be integrated very well in smaller city layouts, but I wanted to have something that moves more realistically than the usual monorail trains with their high speed and abrupt stops. So I opted for a MR with PowerFunctions that can move very slowly. And since most of the cars are 7 studs wide to be able to fit the figs side by side, the train has the same width.

Functions:

- working headlights and backlights (PF)

- interior lighting (9V)

- openable front door (manually)

- detachable roofs

The train is quite heavy (around 0,6 kilogrammes) but that doesn't seem to be a problem, neither for the engine nor the tracks - until now, that is. I am watching these aspects thoroughly. The train is controlled by an 8879 Speed Remote Control. Capacity: 10 minifigures.

My main inspiration was the amazing 6w Monorail Berlin Subway Train by Brucewaynelego-Toyshansolo, see http://www.flickr.co...ego/5110796438/ There are some similarities between my train and the Berlin Subway Trains of the Twenties.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as usual.

More pics:

Interior:

8710254000_85ed46791d.jpg

8709127783_2fb3a9cbeb.jpg

Street Scene with Monorail:

8709548007_405687fb34.jpg

Excellent monorail ER0L! Building a 7W was a great choice. Do you have a video of it running? :classic:

Thanks a lot Lego Guy Bri! There's a video, see below.

Nice build, and I like how you did the grills on the front.

Many thanks zephyr1934!

A short video. Sorry for the poor quality, but at least you can see how the train moves, especially its slowness.

A short video.

Awww yeah, I see the remains of a 6991 :wink:

Why is it so slow? Is it just really heavy or something to do with the PF stuff? I definitely remember my monorail running faster...

I really like that a lot. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but it's running on the old monorail track, correct? What about the motor?

Thanks, Joe

Awww yeah, I see the remains of a 6991 :wink:

Why is it so slow? Is it just really heavy or something to do with the PF stuff? I definitely remember my monorail running faster...

It's so slow because I want it to look realistic when moving. That's why I'm using the 8879 speed control which allows seven levels of speed. I've even reduced the voltage, there are only 4 batteries instead of 6 in the box. So it could move a lot quicker - but never as quick as a usual lightweight monorail train with a 9V battery.

I really like that a lot. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but it's running on the old monorail track, correct? What about the motor?

Thanks, Joe

Many thanks Joe! No dumb question, the train is using the usual monorail chassis, motor included. Luckily, there is that nice adapter cable (http://www.bricklink...em.asp?S=8886-1) that allows to run the motor with PowerFunctions, too.

Very nice monorail! And PF inside, that makes it even better!

Personally i would speed it up a bit, even if it is not to scale, but you have taken the choice.

Very nice monorail! And PF inside, that makes it even better!

Personally i would speed it up a bit, even if it is not to scale, but you have taken the choice.

Thanks a lot Gerald, glad you like it! Well, the advantage of modding the monorail with PowerFunctions is that you can choose the speed you like. I am always thinking in terms of an urban surrounding where speed is less important. But even this heavy train can move probably twice as fast as shown in the video with all 6 batteries fully loaded and at a speed level of 7.

Super Jop Marcus! 7w is very cool.

Edited by Altezza

I like this a lot, especialy the way the train consumes the motor in the middle. Nice work

Super Jop Marcus! 7w is very cool.

Many thanks Michael, glad you like it!

I like this a lot, especialy the way the train consumes the motor in the middle. Nice work

Thanks a lot kieran. I would have loved to integrate it even more, but it didn't work out the way I wanted. Anyway it's a compromise that works quite well, I guess.

What an excellent monorail train, the 7w bodyshell looks great with the bonus that your passengers have so much more elbow room while travelling on their daily commute. I love the way that using PF has improved slow running which seems more realistic as compared with the standard 9v monorail setup. The street scene with the monorail is good too; - are you planning on making your monorail operate as an elevated urban transport system within your town?

What an excellent monorail train, the 7w bodyshell looks great with the bonus that your passengers have so much more elbow room while travelling on their daily commute. I love the way that using PF has improved slow running which seems more realistic as compared with the standard 9v monorail setup. The street scene with the monorail is good too; - are you planning on making your monorail operate as an elevated urban transport system within your town?

Thanks a lot Locomotive Annie, glad you like it! Yes, I think a little room is important to feel comfortable when riding a train, even for the minifigs. :wink:

Well, I'd love to have it as an urban transport system within my town, the only problem is that there's hardly a town until now. My "town" consists of a modded GE, a non-modded FB, a diner and a gas station - but I'm working on that ... :sweet:

Love it, especially the PF controls. I'm going to try something similar with my monorail - avoids the issues I've been having with control systems and width. How did you mount on to the monorail bases, jumper plates?

Love it, especially the PF controls. I'm going to try something similar with my monorail - avoids the issues I've been having with control systems and width. How did you mount on to the monorail bases, jumper plates?

Thank you! You're right, it's done with jumper plates.