Hey, I think that everyone has seen that in the summer you can't control your models outside very well. The signal should normaly last about 10m, but on a sunny day it only lasts about 1m. And so my question is that does somebody has some tricks or suggestions how to improve the length of the signal?

@ JohannesESTONIA: It's tough to overcome the sun's infrared (IR) light when using the Power Functions (PF) Infrared Remote Control. However, it may be possible to use a polarizer filter (in front of the transparent plastic on the PF IR Remote and PF IR Receiver) to filter out some of the sun's IR light.

680px-Wire-grid-polarizer.svg.png

How about using wires to connect them?

Unless they're very long, that is very restrictive...

Unless they're very long, that is very restrictive...

They should really make some better controllers then... maybe Bluetooth wise...

Edited by Someonenamedjon

@ JohannesESTONIA: It's tough to overcome the sun's infrared (IR) light when using the Power Functions (PF) Infrared Remote Control. However, it may be possible to use a polarizer filter (in front of the transparent plastic on the PF IR Remote and PF IR Receiver) to filter out some of the sun's IR light.

680px-Wire-grid-polarizer.svg.png

Thanks!

How about using wires to connect them?

Don't think so :)

They should really make some better controllers then... maybe Bluetooth wise...

Yes, bluetooth would be good, or to a update on the rc controller system!

I'm looking into XBee, hope to get the modules this week. You then receive the IR signal directly from the remote, process it, send it using XBee to the receiver station and the receiver makes a new IR signal close to the application.

I am voting for a upgrade of the PF system, but belives that to be pretty unlikely haveing seen TLG plans for Mindstorm EV3, does anybody knows how many wires that are in cables for that system? I renemeber something about it being the same as the NXT RJ16 plug. And I will public maintain my viewpoint that the reason for TLG not to intergrated the two eletricial systems is more about buissnes reason, than care about kids and afol useing and playing with there products e.g. LEGO.

In regards to the polarization filters, would old 3-D glasses work? I've got many pairs lying around, and don't know what to do with them.

In regards to the polarization filters, would old 3-D glasses work? I've got many pairs lying around, and don't know what to do with them.

Yep, you pretty much read my mind :classic:

I am voting for a upgrade of the PF system, but belives that to be pretty unlikely haveing seen TLG plans for Mindstorm EV3, does anybody knows how many wires that are in cables for that system? I renemeber something about it being the same as the NXT RJ16 plug. And I will public maintain my viewpoint that the reason for TLG not to intergrated the two eletricial systems is more about buissnes reason, than care about kids and afol useing and playing with there products e.g. LEGO.

I also think that we wont see any big updates on the PF system because of the new EV3. But hope dies last! :tongue:

I'm looking into XBee, hope to get the modules this week. You then receive the IR signal directly from the remote, process it, send it using XBee to the receiver station and the receiver makes a new IR signal close to the application.

And how much will this cost?