ronenson

MOC: TTX Intermodal for 7939 container size

I've been looking at the 10170 TTX intermodal cars for some time, and I really like them,

except the container size. When I went looking around, I found the following topic, which

was a good start for me:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71804&hl=10170

I however thought the design was a bit too long, to wide and too high. I ended up with

only copying the elements of the 10170, got rid of the 7939 container car elements, and

this is the result:

intermodal_ttx_7939_size_v3.png

It can take a double stack of containers, and with the increase of the bridge of the 7937 by one brick, it can pass underneath it.

Nice mod. You kept the same looks and these look better than the Maersk train.

I liked the compability of the 9V era 8x4 containers with each set that contained them, including the harbour sets. Six wide is more realistic of course.

I love the design. You inspired me this weekend to redo my old original Lego TTX cars for a more modern style to equip the larger more lifelike containers. Suprisingly alot of the old parts from the old cars were able to be used in my new design. I will post pics but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration.

On a sidenote I built a model just like the one you posted above. I loved your design but the wheels are restricted and can not turn left or right due to the ladder. The design programs do not take this into affect. I also noticed that the cars have a slight bow to them in the middle and require additional support when adding containers to them. Keep up the good work and inspiration. :)

Glad I could be of inspiration. I've actually designed it such that the wheels can actually turn without

issues. You might want to check out the LDD file, which shows better how it works:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ronenson/ttxintermodal/intermodal_ttx_7939_size_v3.lxf

It does slightly bend indeed, but that's fixed when you add the containers to it. I've already build it,

but haven't taken pictures yet, mostly because I'm not satisfied with the containers.

Nice mod and a special thanks for providing the instructions via lxf-file as well. :wub_drool:

I have bricklinked my TTX-cars for the original size, but I'm seriously thinking about modding them the way you did. :thumbup:

Wow! Thank you for the .lxf Obviously I built mine in error and you have addressed he issuses above. Great design and great build! Keep up the inspiration for us!

Looks great! And if you ever have the time, please make a pdf of the instructions and add it to the Railbricks.com instructions library.

Great Mod, looking at adding to my Maersk and other cargo trains.

The color yellow seems to work rather well.

Can we see them with the containers stacked on them please?

Sure, no problem. The first car contains the containers I designed, but don't have yet in real life,

the second of course the standard containers that come with the 7939

intermodal_ttx_7939_size_v3_with_containers.png

Big fan of the MAERSK type containers. Ordered my first bunck of parts from BrickLink, hopefully will have a few more containers to add to the collection.

I extended to a 3 cars, and now I have some more decent containers in real bricks. Picture quality is not very good though.

2013-05-29_20.31.08.jpg

Alright, you have some built! They look great. I've thought about widening/extending my TTX cars for my BNSF. AWill you be adding more? :classic:

Good stuff! It is a little unfortunate I came out of my dark ages just after the last but one posts so I managed to miss it first time around - I might of otherwise ended up building one of these!

thanks for the LXF, i just need to find how to open it on a mac ;)

edit... Lego soft already installed :)

Edited by elicend

Great job on these! As soon as the last few pieces show up in the mail, I'll get some pics up for you!

I took your design and extended it to 5 cars. Around here (Chicagoland) I see more 5 cars as opposed to 3 cars. Now to just find some decals and get these done by Brickworld in a few weeks.

Wow, great design! I really have to build a pair of these since i hated the original 7939 container car. Ever since i got the Maersk train, i converted the 7939 set containers to the maersk train size, but they are a bit too bulky for 20 foot containers.

Good to see this MOC/MOD is appreciated. In the meantime, I've added a second 3-piece spine car, and worked on some better containers, both 20 and 40 foot.

2014-05-07%2018.56.07.jpg

Edited by ronenson

So we recently had our LUG's holiday show and I remembered to bring my camera. Thanks for uploading the instructions again...

I used Microscale Decals on the cars, O Scale.

In motion:

15514564353_7c6bb9114c_z.jpg

And 2 from the yard:

16133529352_9cc6cb0173_z.jpg

15948512037_f19fcf768c_z.jpg