• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which X-Wing is your favourite?

• 10240 (the new 2013 version)
    • 7191 (the 2000 original)

Ordered mine last weekend and finished it on 2 days ago. Great model, I enjoyed every minute of this set. I will not mod the X-Wing, as I collect and display my Lego vehicles as they were created by TLG. The most annoying part were the stickers on the cockpit, but I used a sharp cutter and cut the clear parts off - I only used the frame of the stickers. Afterwards I polished the clear part and the look is just perfect!

How did you polish the cockpit? What did you use? Did you dip the whole cockpit with the frame of the sticker applied into the polish? Would love to see pics if you can as I really wanted to attempt to cut out the clear parts as well.

After this review, I´m not convinced to not buy this UCS. It´s a iconic fighter, yes, but it has some several mistakes, like the cokcpit, the small engines or the minfig R2 (instead a 4x4 dome, like the UCS 10215).

Maybe, it´s bad that I say this, but I prefer my moc (http://www.eurobrick...76#entry1549703), but bigger. It´s a very "system" contruction, I was hoping some more "agressive" construction techniques. And all the stickers...

Edited by hachiroku

Would you happen to have a picture of the spare parts, I would like to compare to what I had leftover.

Thanks

I didn't sit on the fence for a long time, ordered it and looking forward to start build it next week. Not too happy about the cockpit stickers but I'll manage (cannot be worse than UCS Y-wing).

Anyhow.. I suspect Rufus being a sales representative from TLG, I seem to end up buying the sets he gives a good review. :laugh:

Would you happen to have a picture of the spare parts, I would like to compare to what I had leftover.

Thanks

I didn't take one, but I'll see what I can do...

Anyhow.. I suspect Rufus being a sales representative from TLG, I seem to end up buying the sets he gives a good review. :laugh:

I wish! :laugh:

I didn't take one, but I'll see what I can do...

Here you are:

8749995307_0079f06f06_c.jpg

By bag, left to right from the top.

By bag, left to right from the top.

I've been a little slack checking part lists as I go, this at the end of each bag is really helpful, thanks :classic:

P.S. Really enjoying the build so far too!

Just spotted a very minor mistake in your build - from bag 5 you have 1 extra 1x1 round grey piece - I believe it goes on the assembly just behind the chair.

Edited by Alternator

Just spotted a very minor mistake in your build - from bag 5 you have 1 extra 1x1 round grey piece - I believe it goes on the assembly just behind the chair.

That's where the rod sits for the targeting computer.

Great review, loved the build, I may just have to pick this set up!

That's where the rod sits for the targeting computer.

Great review, loved the build, I may just have to pick this set up!

That's right, but on the right side of that assembly there are two 1x1 round pieces stacked if I'm reading the instructions correctly.

Definitely best to trim away the inside portion of the canopy sticker before applying, in my opinion.

post-19519-0-09262700-1369433191_thumb.jpg

Build is great so far!

Edited by santos.

the more I see the reviews, the more I want it, but still, I really dislike the nose of this model, but that's a point to mod in the futur.

Incredible review as per usual, Rufus!

Finally got around to picking up this set yesterday. I missed out on the first UCS X-Wing, so it was amazing to acquire this new one. The build was enjoyable, and the finished model is impressive. The ship looks way better in person than in any pictures. Overall I'm really happy with the set, but I have the same complaints as many people. The biggest aesthetic flaw for me is the nose of the ship. Even without any comparison photos, the nose just looks wrong. It's disappointing that on a model this size that the nose is still so darn ugly. I'll definitely be modifying it. The engines don't bother me too much as they at least are pleasing to the eye. Sure it'd be nice if they were bigger, but that's really only because I know they're supposed to be bigger. The massive gap between the wings for the opening mechanism is a bit unfortunate, but they open and close so smoothly that I'll take the tradeoff. I'm a massive fan of printed pieces, so I'm always dissapointed by stickers. Big expensive models like this really deserve to have nice printed pieces. The cockpit stickers were of course the worst, but the technique of cutting out the clear part made applying them easier and the end result looks flawless.

I haven't been able to stop starring at or tinkering with the ship since building it. Though it's a little awkward due to a lack of a good place to grip the hull, swooshing the ship is completely addictive. Reenacting scenes from the movie have never been so much fun!

Thanks for the review Rufus. This is a fantastic set IMO, despite the cockpit stickers and other shortcomings. I went to the LEGO store a few weeks back and they had this ship propped up on its side for display instead of on its stand, which actually looked pretty nice.

Excellent review of a great set, Rufus. I appreciate comparison pics with both 7191 and studio models, as it's always nice to see how close these LEGO representations approximate their "real-life" counterparts.

I agree that the nose is the weakest element, but the new engines with their lovely augmentor detail make up for it. Part of me wishes they'd built in some working landing gear, but I'm guessing most folks would rather see her flying, so a stand makes more sense.

Many thanks to TLG for including two copies of the infernal windscreen decals, as I botched my first attempt, even following their advisory in the instructions, which I've been using since, to good effect, on other sets. I wish LEGO would print large prominent parts like this when the placement of decals has to be so precise. It becomes a frustrating irritant to what is otherwise an overall enjoyable experience.

Definitely best to trim away the inside portion of the canopy sticker before applying, in my opinion.

post-19519-0-09262700-1369433191_thumb.jpg

Build is great so far!

I thought about doing this myself, but relented. After seeing it done, and done so well, I regret not doing it on mine, since the "glass" parts of the stickers never apply clear no matter how careful you are. I managed a good application of my stickers, but your cutouts are brilliant.

Is Toy R Us carrying this in the United States yet? would be nice a pick up with their buy 1 get 50% off deal

Has anyone tried fitting a minifig Luke into this set? With the R2D2 included, that cockpit begs for a pilot. Anybody know if it works? What about a Technic man?

Has anyone tried fitting a minifig Luke into this set? With the R2D2 included, that cockpit begs for a pilot. Anybody know if it works? What about a Technic man?

Luke flies mine. He uses the Force to operate the rudder pedals.

Build is great so far!

I've been building mine this weekend, and I took your advise and trimmed out the inside of the stickers. It is absolutely the best option for dealing with them in my opinion. A sharp No 2 Hobby Knife with a fresh blade. A metal straight edge and about 5 minutes work really solved the sticker problem. Applying them was a little tricky as they were now thing fragile strips, but I had some sort of "application solution" used to help apply an iPad screen protector. Spritzed my fingers with it so the stickers didnt stick to them, spritzed the canopy so the stickers could be nudged and adjusted a bit, then squeegee'ed them into place.

My only complaint on the model is more a reflection on poor planning on my part. This thing is a bit bigger than I realized, so it will never fit on the space I had planned to use to display it. Hmmm? I wonder if the wife will notice a new centerpiece on the dining room table?

When I read this great review the other day, I was thinking "it looks nice, but nothing special justifying the 200 euros". However, when I saw it on display in the Lego Store in Koln (Germany) this weekend, it was love at first sight.

I was really flabbergasted by the looks and the size of this wonderful model. I managed not buying it, but it's a matter of days instead of weeks :wink:

Great review Rufus - your review motivated me to go out and buy it myself (it took me a weekend of off and on building to complete it). My only issue with an otherwise outstanding set was the canopy stickers. Despite having two set of stickers, I managed to screw things up and ended up removing the stickers in their entirety. I'm sorry that I didn't read about the idea to trim out the inside of the canopy stickers before now.....

I just finished building this and I think it’s the best UCS set out there! It’s the center piece of my Star Wars collection now. Love it!

hey everyone (my first post)...

I bought this one the other day. took me about 3 hours to assemble. The WORST part was the damn cockpit sticker :/ had to use the second one after bad luck with the first one. I guess the cutting off the middle part (leaving just the frames) is a nice and quite good idea...

either way, I didn't have the old UCS X-Wing so I can't really compare but after being a bit "meh" about this set, it grew on me. It's actually quite swooshable and looks pretty good..