• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which X-Wing is your favourite?

• 10240 (the new 2013 version)
    • 7191 (the 2000 original)

Ordered this Beauty yesterday night, getting it in October for my birthday.

Magnificent review Rufus!

I have to correct you on this, because you are wrong in both the original review and in your explanation.

:blush:

Thanks for the explanation! I stand corrected. :thumbup: I've edited the review to reflect this.

I just spotted something - it is a bit of an aside... But the only figure this set comes with is an R2D2? I mean it doesn't even come with Luke the pilot or the ghost voice of Obi Wan?

UCS sets aren't really known for having minifigures. The ones that do only do it to make the sets appeal to kids more. This set is already recognizable to any SW fan and doesn't really need minifigures to make it better. Anyway, this is more of a display piece than a toy (of course I'll be swooshing it around the house when I get mine).

UCS sets aren't really known for having minifigures. The ones that do only do it to make the sets appeal to kids more. This set is already recognizable to any SW fan and doesn't really need minifigures to make it better. Anyway, this is more of a display piece than a toy (of course I'll be swooshing it around the house when I get mine).

Yeah I was thinking something like that as it is more display than play; but by the same token I'd say that it's 50/50 with some of the recent UCS level Star Wars sets as the Falcon, Shuttle, and even the Super Star Destroyer come with mini figs (although not the B-Wing which looks like it could have accomodated one nicely)... Fortunately the 9493 X-Wing which I have came with an extra pilot so now one of those little guys wont have to stay out in the cold.

Damn those cockpit stickers! I'll need to bricklink a third sheet - they are horrible to apply...

gah! I wonder whether a pro stickerer will make a video of applying those?? (I'm dreading doing them when mine finally arrives)

Great revied and a great set! Thanks Rufus!

But where do you find it for sale at £109? I can only find it for about £220! Show me where it´s at £109 and I´ll buy two! :wink:

Yeah I was thinking something like that as it is more display than play; but by the same token I'd say that it's 50/50 with some of the recent UCS level Star Wars sets as the Falcon, Shuttle, and even the Super Star Destroyer come with mini figs (although not the B-Wing which looks like it could have accomodated one nicely)... Fortunately the 9493 X-Wing which I have came with an extra pilot so now one of those little guys wont have to stay out in the cold.

gah! I wonder whether a pro stickerer will make a video of applying those?? (I'm dreading doing them when mine finally arrives)

The Falcon was created specifically to be a true accurate minifig scale MF. The Shuttle was something of a follow up to that. Those two ships are done deliberately in a smaller minifig scale than most UCS sets, hence they match with and get Minifigs. Most of the UCS fighters are way larger than minifig scale. (Which is often speculated to be not far off from 1/48 in spite of the minifigs?) Probably closer to 1/32 or 1/25. I think you can almost seat Kenner action figures in them. Minifigs tend to look like they need a child seat.

I'm convinced the SSD was given Minifigs and the internal play set section to help clearly differentiate it from a coffee table. I'm not sure that it worked.

I'm convinced the SSD was given Minifigs and the internal play set section to help clearly differentiate it from a coffee table. I'm not sure that it worked.

Because Lucas Company sadly asked for minifigs in that set.

Wonderful review!

After checking all 10240's features against my 9493,

I can only wonder how good is the 9493 giving the system limitations.

Could you post some comparison images between these two? I want to check their relative sizes.

Could you post some comparison images between these two? I want to check their relative sizes.

I made 2 videos today.

One with the 10240. And one with 7191 and 10240.

I think this is a great set, but I am not going to buy it, because I think The Tower of Orthanc is cooler.

The review is amazing, lots of fotos. Good job!

Wonderful review!

After checking all 10240's features against my 9493,

I can only wonder how good is the 9493 giving the system limitations.

I took one, but never processed it because I was worried the review would be too long. :laugh:

8717925955_683c91280c_c.jpg

I took one, but never processed it because I was worried the review would be too long. :laugh:

Thanks a lot.

I don't have the shelf space for such a big set. A good way to save 200 euros....

Because Lucas Company sadly asked for minifigs in that set.

I still don't get what's wrong with including them. It's better with them than without.

Thank you for the insightful review, Rufus. It was very enjoyable to read an watch the comparissions with the first edition.

I only don't understand why TLG does'nt offer a printed windscreen instead of (2) poorly transparent frosted stickers for such an iconic set.

I know I am going to break down and get this at some point soon. The X Wing is one of my all time favorite spaceships. And the first one of these was deep in my Dark Ages. I probably would have gotten one on release day if A. I hadn't managed to score the last B Wing in the store and B. The wife wasn't with me, as its never good to let her see the actual pricing of these things.

But my big question for all is... How the heck do you manage to display something this big? I was looking at the display model again in the Lego store tonight on the way home. And it dawned on me that they were having to put it in the display case sideways at a 90 degree angle, wing tips down. I have no idea how I am going to display something this big? (The B Wing is less worrisome as it can be made to sort of hang vertically on the wall.)

Edited by Faefrost

It's a bit odd that the R2 unit is regular minifigure scale. The ship is bigger. I feel like they should have printing a dome piece that's twice as big with R2 details and stuck it on the top instead of using a minifigure when the ship isn't minifigure scale.

I've built mine yesterday and it's a great kit. I only modded one very small detail: I added an extra technic spacer (included in the kit as spare) between the wheel you turn to open the wings. This way, my brand new parts won't get sratched (circular) when I turn the knob. It also makes the knob a bit more accessible - but that's only a side effect.

I might still mod the nose-cone as well, but we'll see.

I do think it's a pity there's no landing gear, and the build is a bit too easy: 10 bags of +- 200 pieces each. It's like building 10 kits for 7-year olds and plugging them together. However, if you want to increase the build challenge, you can always mix all the parts - which I'm sure to do when I beuild it a second time.

I got mine yesterday and it was wonderful. I spent around 3.5 hours building it and then afterward thought it might be a good idea to eat some dinner. I loved most of it, only hating the cockpit stickers, which have about 3 air bubbles under each one. :cry_sad:

I set it up next my other X-Wing set (7140) which I rebuilt a few months ago and it's almost funny seeing the two next to each other.

Ordered mine last weekend and finished it on 2 days ago. Great model, I enjoyed every minute of this set. I will not mod the X-Wing, as I collect and display my Lego vehicles as they were created by TLG. The most annoying part were the stickers on the cockpit, but I used a sharp cutter and cut the clear parts off - I only used the frame of the stickers. Afterwards I polished the clear part and the look is just perfect!

Does anyone know if a Hasbro figure would fit in this cockpit, or would it be too big? Maybe someone will customize an x-wing pilot using those old pre- minifigure people.

So has anyone tried altering the nose to look more streamlined? As its the Achilles heel of this set, I had a go which used some additional pieces:

b627d8e1fe5a88562c7c0cc6a8070fb5_zps593d0f60.jpg

393f05e6fcb5eb4123c99d2c1389ee17_zps4758d6eb.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the top (may rework it sometime) but think it looks better with a few minutes work put in than the stock nose.

Edited by Wonderpants