peterab

Future Train sets discussion/speculation

I _hope_ the next offering will be another steam engine. The TGV and Maersk are great, but the Emerald Night is by far my favorite to date (side note, my grandfather was an engineer on the real Flying Scotsman, so I have extra affinity for that one).

I think something like the California Western 45 would be a good choice.

06_14_09_053xxRP_-_Flickr_-_drewj1946.jpg

Although it's an early 20th century 2-8-2 locomotive, it's got the feel and character of a classic "old west" American train. To a kid, it wouldn't look too out of place pulling rolling stock from the EN or any of the old Hogwarts Express revisions. To an adult, it would be a chance to see the old (oversimplified) steam engines from the long defunct "My Own Train" line all "grown up."

Diesels and electrics are nice (and wonders of modern engineering) but (once you romanticize away all the down-sides) a classic steam engine just has so much more character and (in my opinion) are much more interesting to build.

I'd rather another steam train, the EN was so brilliant but I never had the chance to pick it up *sigh*.

Edited by Sir Brickalot

EN was ok but needed improving to really look like the Flying Scotsman what i have since done and now happy with the model. I know lego need to keep the bricks down but the stock EN had so many running issues and look issues.

A4 is something I have been trying to get right for 2 years now very hard body shape to do. I know some have done this already and they look really nice but I have been unable to replicate one to there quality yet. Would be nice if they put the plans out or more detailed pics on how they are made.

This is what i do now If i manage to make something I put the plans up as i know its a real pain when you want something someone has made and cant do it yourself.

Edited by Lazarus

EN was ok but needed improving to really look like the Flying Scotsman what i have since done and now happy with the model. I know lego need to keep the bricks down but the stock EN had so many running issues and look issues.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that the designer aren't trying to create a completely identical replica, because as you suggest, this introduces unnecessary problems. But the likeness is there and there is no denying that the EN is easily the best Lego steam train to date.

The interesting thing about the A4 Mallard is that it recently celebrated its 75th anniversary for breaking - what was then - the world speed record for a locomotive. Obviously TLG wouldn't reference this, but it's still another incentive to recreate this amazing train. Here is a concept for the box art layout.

Thunderbolt_zps6e3cfe01.jpg

(I thought 'Thunderbolt' was quite a fitting name, given its speed :grin: )

Edited by nesquik

Looks like most of you want the mallard made into a set but i would really like to see A baureihe 44.

I really like the Mallard, also the colour is nice for a LEGO model. The shape makes it difficult though. I think I have seen one nice MOC here that actually captured the shape pretty well.

The BR44 is also nice, a very stereotypical steam engine. But I doubt a regular LEGO model will be made in a 2-10-0 configuration. I think it would be a challenge for an afol as well.

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic. I really would like to see both made into LEGO sets.

What I am actually missing now is a modern electric cargo train.

I think the next Expert train will be either an American or a German steam train. Maybe this time a Tank engine, something like a x-6-4 so the last bogie could be powered by a PF motor!?

As Lego likes to choose (rare) colors, I would suggest a German Henschel-Wegmann train:

Henschel_Wegmann_Zug.jpg

That (as one of the few) German steam engine isn't colored black, also there would be enough space for a pf receiver and battery box.

What I like about the British steam engines is, that they have some nice colors (and they are mostly rare Lego ones as well :sweet: ), which makes them more appealing to me.

Edited by ScotNick

There's no point having one of the train axles powered in a steam train, when it's far easier just to put everything into the tender.

I would love to see another steam train of any sort really as long as it could be easily powered. Either that or another diesel. What I do not want is another electric engine with a pantograph, not unless they bring out a box of reasonably priced masts and stuff to make it at least look viable on a LEGO circuit.

There's no point having one of the train axles powered in a steam train, when it's far easier just to put everything into the tender.

The point is accuracy. Real steam trains are powered by the drivers.

@Spitfire2865 That's true, but it's very difficult to fit a Battery Box, Motor and IR Receiver into the locomotive itself without seriously compromising the design. I'd rather TLG kept the design of the locomotive as accurate as possible and use the tender for driving the train.

Well I think that the next exclusive train set will be a German train because We had now The EN (English) The Mearsk train (American) and the HE (French). Also after a Diesel and Electric I personally think that there will be a steam train and that it will be a Cargo steam train

OK guys well working on a A4 this week and when I complete I will pass around the Lxf.

As this is not my design and I am copying it with some minor changes to the loco I cant sell it and I will need to get the OK before handing it around.

I will be close to Carl Greatrix design.

Edited by Lazarus

I think we need a nice American steamer, an FEF-3 Northern would be just fine, in fact there is even a running example still.

How about an electric European cargo train? We've had the Emerald Night (Steam Passenger), the Maersk Train (Diesel Cargo), Horizon Express (Electric Passenger), but we've never really had an electric cargo locomotive in the expert series. Plus the advantage of some European Electric locomotives is you can see them on both Pax and Cargo trains, so it could be used to make fun train combinations. That or a return to American Diesel night passenger trains (sort of like the Santa Fe) or Steam would also be nice

I imagine that we'll have some sort of leak/info regarding the next set towards the end of this year. There's been a two year gap between new products beginning with the Emerald Night (2009), Maersk (2011) and then the H. Express (2013).