peterab

Future Train sets discussion/speculation

mayby for a double decker train the dutch VIRM? That's a nice looking train

I wouldn't mind a double decker train. I've gotten a liking to the old Club car and trying to building one in 7710 colors.

mayby for a double decker train the dutch VIRM? That's a nice looking train

That would be slick, they are a great looking train and the colors would work well in lego.

I've gotten a liking to the old Club car and trying to building one in 7710 colors.

Actually Yellow and Blue are the colours that The NS (NederlandseSpoorwegen) are using for their passenger trains (well most of them)

Actually Yellow and Blue are the colours that The NS (NederlandseSpoorwegen) are using for their passenger trains (well most of them)

That's interesting. In Ontario, Canada, we have the Northland railway which used yellow and blue too.

onr1961e.jpg

They used to run this train in the late 1970s to early 1990s from Toronto to points up north. Are those the same colours as the NS?

Are those the same colours as the NS?

Yeah, a bit like that. Here's a few common Dutch trains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_VIRM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Intercity_Materieel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Mat_'64 (no longer in service)

And in recent years they've added a bit of white:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_Lighttrain

But most are yellow/blue. Yellow/grey locomotives are also somewhat common, like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_1700

That's interesting. In Ontario, Canada, we have the Northland railway which used yellow and blue too.

onr1961e.jpg

They used to run this train in the late 1970s to early 1990s from Toronto to points up north. Are those the same colours as the NS?

Well if that isn't funny that's the dutch version of the TEE(Trans Europa Express)

Do you think TLG might release a bonus passenger train after the coming batch of trains, like they did with the red cargo train after the 2010 wave. In theory, it would make sense, as it would enable kids to have a choice of 6 trains they might want to get, from Santa for instance, instead of just four (2010,2014) .

Yup, the Northlander is a former Dutch TEE train.

img0540.jpg

In 1977 it was shipped to Canada and apparently in 2006 it was back in the Netherlands:

Zl-Tee-2.jpg

I believe it's since been restored back to its original livery.

Do you think TLG might release a bonus passenger train after the coming batch of trains, like they did with the red cargo train after the 2010 wave. In theory, it would make sense, as it would enable kids to have a choice of 6 trains they might want to get, from Santa for instance, instead of just four (2010,2014) .

I think when the next two are released, the current two will be retired.

It was made by Werkspoor, a very reliable company that was bankrupted in 1972.

I think when the next two are released, the current two will be retired.

No, I understand that. What I meant was maybe TLG might release a bonus passenger with the upcoming round of trains to offer kids who already have the 2010 trains and the odd one out 2011 cargo train a chance to have a even number of cargo and passenger trains (3 cargo, 3 passenger). Sorry for the confusion.

Hi everyone,

I've read in a LUG forum that we might have some train news in the second half of 2014. I've also noticed that on Brickset's Price Comparison the availability for 7938 and 7939 intermittent (right now, amazon UK has no train sets available - directly sold by Amazon). Could this mean they are slowing production of these sets, and planning to launch new ones?

Ya, and 7938 and 7939 are back on the shelves at my nearby lego store still, and they weren't there last year. I'm assuming they're getting rid of extra stock for Christmas to make way for the 2014 sets.

Interesting, and when I ordered 7938 for £55 it was first cancelled at Dhl Germany then sent (after complaints) from a very Italian adress...

Now both are available again, just temporary sold out...

Edited by pacc

Now that we're coming up to the first birthday for the Horizon Express, I thought it would be fun to speculate on what Creator Expert train we may see in 2015.

Previous Creator/Exclusives...

Emerald Night (Flying Scotsman) - 2009

Flying_Scotsman_in_Doncaster.JPG

Maersk Train (Licensed Replica) - 2011

maersk.jpg

Horizon Express (TGV) - 2013

TGV_premiere_rame_Orange_.jpg

I'm sure many of us have tried to spot trends in past releases, but I think we can agree (regrettably) that a Class A4 'Mallard' may not be coming any time soon. Afterall, what are the chances of two English steam locomotives being released in succession? I'm sure it's not out of the question, but it just seems unlikely that they would overlook designs from other countries. Then again, it all comes down to how iconic a train design is.

Mallard_detail.jpg

There are of course a lot of factors to take into account; let's not also forget that, unlike City trains, playability is underpinned by the presentation and building process/parts. You could then divide the kinds of trains into categories, be that steam/electric or freight/passenger. And even then, it's so far been typical that the carriages/wagons are equally a part of how iconic the train design is.

So i'll kick things off then by guessing the next train will be a steam one. This makes sense to me for a least a few reasons:

1. It's easy to build a Power Functions Battery Box into the tender, and thus allow the train engine to have a more forgiving and interesting design. The Emerald Night isn't perfect when powered, but at least you don't need to rip the engine apart to power it. And the gear system could surely be improved?

2. New trains wheels were introduced for the Emerald Night, so it seems only natural that these should be re-used at some point.

3. If the 'next' train is to be put on sale alongside the Horizon Express (which would be in its final year), then it would make little strategic sense to have two electrified train models out in the wild. The last overlap saw the Emerald Night and Maersk Train on sale.

As for specifics, I won't even begin to image what steam train the designers would use. A part of me wants George Stephenson's 'Rocket', but I can't see this translating into an actual product. On the other hand, what if the 'Santa Fe' was updated?....

Enough from me anyway - share your thoughts! :moar: