peterab

Future Train sets discussion/speculation

Yes the Hudson is very iconic, although I might have to point out the K4 is another highly iconic steam engine which was considered the rival of the Hudson. Other great American engines they could bring up could include the T1 Duplex or a green Southern 4-6-2 (although I guess you could MOD an Emerald Night into a Southern 4-6-2).

Also if Lego returned to a British steam locomotives they could touch on maybe The City of Truro, or a Black 5. Even a German steam engine would look neat. So many possibilities.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Yes the Hudson is very iconic, although I might have to point out the K4 is another highly iconic steam engine which was considered the rival of the Hudson. Other great American engines they could bring up could include the T1 Duplex or a green Southern 4-6-2 (although I guess you could MOD an Emerald Night into a Southern 4-6-2).

Also if Lego returned to a British steam locomotives they could touch on maybe The City of Truro, or a Black 5. Even a German steam engine would look neat. So many possibilities.

A Pacific type would be too similar to the EN. Even if its an American 4-6-2.

City of Truro would be nice, but it would probably seem a little on the small side compared to the other Creator Expert sets.

A black 5 would be IMO be right about perfect in the size aspect, With maybe 2 or 3 small goods wagons?

Honestly, Im not much a fan of German steam but hey, thats me! Though it would be nice to see Lego do one, even if I wouldnt be buying it.

The K4 again is a pacific, too similar to the EN.

I would like to see Lego do a steamer that ISNT a western or 4-6-2 loco.

And definitely the next steamer should come as a freight train. So that goes back to maybe a Black 5? Or still a Hudson. If they want to treat us, they might make something with 8 drivers!

Edited by Spitfire2865

A 2-8-2 Mikado would really be an excellent choice IMO. That engine always attracted me (maybe because of the huge tender, I dunno). It turned up in a lot of countries (particularly the US) as well, so that's always a plus, isn't it?

The EN is a beauty but it doesn't fit my layout so I didn't buy it.

Would a 2-8-2 with a large tender fit on Lego track? I'm not that familiar with L gauge, yet. Guess it would need some articulation at the halfway point of the eight wheels? That would be fun to build and watch chugging around the track, wouldn't it?

It would be a nice project for Jamie Berard, he seems to have some regrets about the EN's flaws and he could redeem himself!

Joe

Edited by bjtpro

I would actually like to see a new Super Chief set, with the engine and two cars, one of them being an observation car. The original was released sometime ago, so I could see a new updated version selling very well and being popular. Like with the new UCS X-Wing.

Bjtpro. 8 driver locos are possible on Lgauge. Its been moced so many times.

A Black 5 I think would be amazing but should Lego do another british type steamer? Maybe in a few years it would fit nicely.

Piranha, the Super Chief wasnt as good of a seller as you would think. The major problem with it was you had to buy multiple sets for the complete train. If they made it a whole set it would probably work better but it would be pretty expensive for even just a loco and 3 or so cars. Though it could be like the HE in you buy 2 and can make a more prototypical train.

I second the vote on a mikado, I have a special love for the engine and would love to see it happen.

Maybe they could base it off the durango and siverton? Not the narrow guage, but maybe a couple of the coaches.

Edited by krystalKING

I am wondering if 7938 and 7939 will be replaced by new sets in 2014 ? They were introduced late 2010, and former train sets have been dropped off the line-up after 3-4 years.

^ I think Sptifire2865 meant regular LEGO CITY engines, such as 7939 's yellow cargo engine or 3677 with the red cargo switcher, and 7897 looks very much like an ICE train. The older 7898 green engine is proably based off the Swedish engines (ala 4551, Crocodile Locomotive) while 7938 looks like many engines from many European countries.

Back on topic:

In my opnion I would love a Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 (electric) or a Southern Pacfifc G4 Daylight (steam) in ethier the orange livery or wartime black. :wub:

The V200 was used mainly for mainline passenger service. The only diesel engine you mentioned is a typical engine used for freight trains and shunting duties. As far as I know, the only diesel passenger engine released by LEGO was the Santa Fe Super Chief - and that was modeled after an American engine. 7897 and 7938 aren't engines at all.

I agree with you about the GG1, I think it's the best choice for an American electric engine. For something European I would love to see a model of the NS 1200. Reminds me to work on my WIP. Problem with our trains is that they are not well-known enough. Maybe an international train like the NS-SBB TEE diesel multiple units.

As for steam: I would love to see a Dutch passenger steam engine like the NS 3600 or 3900 - but that will never happen. British steam trains have often the same problem as Dutch ones: wheels through the base. The solution used on the Emerald Night is not very realistic. German steam trains don't have that problem, and are known enough to be recognized by a large audience. Pacific is used already, but the advantage is that they have a proven undercarriage for it. And else the German Baureihe 38 (2C or 4-6-0) may be a solution?

I don't see a very big American steamer like a Big Boy or Challenger happen as a set. LEGO doesn't sell seperate wagons anymore, and I doubt they can release a huge steam train with at least one wagon in a set while keeping the price reasonable. I'm not familiar with smaller American steam engines. But hey, I wasn't aware of any of the American engines released as a set, wanted them all and still regret not getting them when it was possible for a reasonable price.

Perhaps a 1D or 2-8-0 freight engine? In the Netherlands alone there were five classes (two Dutch, a German, a British and an American). Shortly after WW2 many of the engines used by the Royal Army (WD Austerity) and the US Army (USATC S160) served in Europe. Especially that last one is interesting for multiple countries.

I think I would like another British steamer, but appreciate that others may not. Really any steamer would be good but I second that it should not be another of those western style locomotives. LEGO has done a couple of them now but in a childish manner that does not really appeal.

Never liked the look of the amarican locos. like the old westens one. I dont they could do much of a better looking loco than what they have done in the new westen set.

To be honest i think lego lack good designers of late some of the kits coming out are shocking and really ugly.

Never liked the look of the amarican locos. like the old westens one. I dont they could do much of a better looking loco than what they have done in the new westen set.

To be honest i think lego lack good designers of late some of the kits coming out are shocking and really ugly.

Problem with Lego's American western locos are they arent built prototypical. They are built as toys for kids, not as a serious model. Though if you look at Moced Western locos, they usually look amazing. Lego often makes the locos a bit too tall or just have ugly proportions.

spot on there like the EN to short and to tall and it can be fixed with just a few extra studs?? maybe they done see this.

the snag with dreaming about 8 or 10 coupled engines is that they would look bad going round the sharp lego tracks, if they even could?? i'd like to see some smaller loco's rather than big boys and mallets.

the snag with dreaming about 8 or 10 coupled engines is that they would look bad going round the sharp lego tracks, if they even could?? i'd like to see some smaller loco's rather than big boys and mallets.

As long as you use blind drivers in key places, larger locos can work. But define small? I believe the largest wheel set Lego would build an engine with is 6 drivers.

Some more American icons are the Milwaukee road Hiawatha’s, North Shore Lines Electro liner and the CB&Q early zephyrs.

Bill

How could I forget the Hiawatha? i made a crappy MOC trying to look like a Hiawatha once and I would love to see what TLC could do with that engine, plus a 4-4-2 is around the size of their previous trains.

Something about an American built loco with 4 large drivers such as a 4-4-2 or 4-4-4 just looks funny to me.

Speaking if the Hiawatha, could a Milwaukee Road fan explain the era differences between the 4-4-2 and 4-6-4 Hiawathas? Im curious and have no idea what to search for. :tongue:

The Milwaukee Road 4-6-2 Hiawathas ran from 1935 to 1939 when they were replaced by the more powerful 4-6-4 Hiawathas due to the train going from 6 cars to 9 cars. The original 4-6-2 Hiawathas were reassigned and called the Midwest Hiawatha.

Bill

Edited by Bamos

I don't think it will be a steamer.. because of the EN, the wish of steam-fans is already satisfied a bit.. I think they will choose for a detailed European Dieseltrain.. When you look at the colors of the Creator trains so far, (DarkGreen, Blue & Orange) i wouldn't be surprised if it would have a red or brown colour. There are lots of German and Swiss reddish/brown Diesels... so, if you ask me, it will be a red or brown diesel.......maybe with two outstanding cars also in the set... hoppers or so...

What about this Swiss one...

8704222426_88c911c316.jpg

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

So I just bought one off bricklink, cos I was worried about the prices sky rocketing... €170, no box but incl. postage to Australia...? I couldn't really afford it but I figure I buy it now, save in the future...

Did I do the right thing? Is that a reasonable price?

I'd say so. I got mine from eBay for ~£135 (EN was released during my dark ages) and it's one of my all time favourite sets!

I thought we were mainly talking about the exclusive/creator expert type of sets. Looking at the regular train sets I still don't see many German diesels.

7897 is certainly based on the ICE. It's German, but not a diesel. I don't know much about Swedish trains but I always thought 7898 was based on the E44. Again, German but not a diesel.

3677 is a diesel alright and is indeed a fairly generic European freight machine, for example it could be the Dutch class 6400.

The current sets 7938 & 7939 are also generic designs but since both have pantographs they're not diesels.

I'd like to see one of the classic German steam loco's. Not very likely for the next set (see comments above, chances are it'll be a US train) although it would be nice for the 35th anniversary of the classic 7750...

Sorry for not replying earlier: To me, the yellow freight engine (7939) looks like a UK diesel with a pantograph slapped on to make it an electric loco. The rest of the sets in my post (except for 3677) were electric and, as you pointed out, not German. I must have gotten confused and I apologise for the misunderstanding on my part.

Back on topic: Here is the link about the GS-4 Daylight (for those of you who unfamilier with american trains) http://en.wikipedia....rn_Pacific_4449 & it's cousin the GS-6, (who I want to MOC at some point becuase it lives in my hometown) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SP_4460 Here is a better side view (not mine) of the 4460:

3988747310_fe9bb1121d.jpg

This is why I want the ability to change the orange 4449 Daylight to black to become and almost-replica of 4460.

6792558153_b7132d1aa1.jpg

...and just to be clear here is a GG1.

Edited by Murdoch17

Hmm... Maybe something like USTAC S160? That has a huge market potential considering the countries it was used in....

Or German wise, a BR80? Something small, but still power functions equip-able?

Well the thing is the steam fan will never be satisfied by Lego. For too long they ignored the fundamental design of steam locomotive, the drivers. and only 1 decent steamer will not satisfy us.

On a slightly related note, My next loco will be a 4-4-2 Hiawatha. Wish me luck!

The Br 80 PF equip-able? I doubt it - it's a very small shunter tank engine without much place to fit the components. Holger Matthes has built one, but that's in a much bigger scale than the average official LEGO set.

@Legosjaak: that's not a diesel, but nice anyway. And don't forget the Austrian electrics. I've read somewhere in this topic about 4551. That's based on Austrian colours, but the classes were designed in Germany (Baureihe E93 and E94 if I'm correct). A possible upgraded successor could be built in red as well (as the Austrian machines were), or dark green or blue (German version).

A electric locomotive with large wheels, the first electric engines could be nice as well.

nlns1000.jpg

It would be a great reason to release some more dark blue curved parts! :classic:

Edited by Richie