peterab

Future Train sets discussion/speculation

Lucky I've got mine, but it does beg the question do we see another cargo train in two years time (since we now the Horizon Express) ?

The obvious prediction is we'll see some creator expert train in a couple of years. I doubt there are as many iconic freight trains as passenger trains though, so that's a much more risky guess IMHO. On the other hand passenger trains have the problem that AFOLs will want a whole rake of carriages per engine, and the buy two for a longer train solution will only be applicable for modern trains with a cab at both ends.

Arguments can be made either way, since there are two choices, there's 50% chance each is correct.

Personally, I would like to see the d2c (Creator Expert) gurus take on a typical American steam locomotive. So basically a set with Emerald Night levels of detail but based on a typical "Wild West" style locomotive (and yes I know about the Lone Ranger train but that's a licensed set and a d2c set could still be better.

Personally, I would like to see the d2c (Creator Expert) gurus take on a typical American steam locomotive. So basically a set with Emerald Night levels of detail but based on a typical "Wild West" style locomotive (and yes I know about the Lone Ranger train but that's a licensed set and a d2c set could still be better.

No more western locos. Lego never does those well. If they are going to do a steam loco from the US it has to be something nicer. Something maybe from one of the big railroads of the 20th Century.

Edited by Spitfire2865

Maybe they could do a streamlined loco, like the twentith century limited, or A Union Pacific 4-6-2 with a pullman like carriage.

I would buy four of those.

PS, Like a guy in the Horizon express thread said, we could expect something like this over the next few years:

Americian Steam

European diesiel.

and Americian electric.

They could through a wrench in this though. I am sure a African Mallet Steam Engine, or a Chinese Steam Locomotive would all make great contenders for steam trains. Or Lego could dive into narrow gauge scale, maybe a 2-8-2 from the Denver and Rio Grande of a small engine from Tallyn would be a good place to test the narrow gauge waters. Also a redo of the Super Chief would be nice...

So I just bought one off bricklink, cos I was worried about the prices sky rocketing... €170, no box but incl. postage to Australia...? I couldn't really afford it but I figure I buy it now, save in the future...

Did I do the right thing? Is that a reasonable price?

So I just bought one off bricklink, cos I was worried about the prices sky rocketing... €170, no box but incl. postage to Australia...? I couldn't really afford it but I figure I buy it now, save in the future...

Did I do the right thing? Is that a reasonable price?

It's a beautiful Lego train, but only you can say whether it's worth it or not, right? I would pay that much for it.

How about a nice 2-8-2 Mikado for Lego's next Creator engine? It's a magnificent engine that was utilized in numerous countries around the world.

Joe

It's a beautiful Lego train, but only you can say whether it's worth it or not, right? I would pay that much for it.

Yes, this set brought me out of my 'Dark Ages'

the engine is great, the rest of the kit, meh

YAY! :grin: I was going to buy it one day anyway, and i think i got a good deal... Thanks for helping to ease my LEGO buying guilt :laugh:

I think Maersk train is one of the best ever produced by LEGO wish i bought it when I had the chance!

It was retired in December, but then they put it as Hard To Find/Sold Out in March up until yesterday or so. It was interesting as it gave some hope that it would be released again or something.

That probably was lego keeping the "clearance" boxes full while teasing all of us. Though there is a small chance that they were sitting on a very small number lost in a warehouse.

Maybe they could do a streamlined loco, like the twentith century limited, or A Union Pacific 4-6-2 with a pullman like carriage.

I would buy four of those.

PS, Like a guy in the Horizon express thread said, we could expect something like this over the next few years:

Americian Steam

European diesiel.

and Americian electric.

I like that, though if they do another steam engine, it will probably be x-6-x since the wheels are produced in a set of 6.

Also a redo of the Super Chief would be nice...

I had always hoped that lego would do something like that only change the railroad... but the warbonnet is probably the most iconic American train of that era so it would be hard to come up with something with broader market appeal.

After Emerald Night, Maersk, Horizon Express my guess would be that the next one will be an American model again although if you include the Super Chief and BNSF the US are already ahead....

Another freight diesel seems unlikely. The most iconic US engine I could think of (with my limited knowledge of American railway history) would be Big Boy. As that's a 4-8-8-4 (or 2D-D2) it's an unlikely choice as Zephyr rightly points out so maybe its smaller cousin the Challenger? That's a 4-6-6-4...

The most iconic US engine I could think of (with my limited knowledge of American railway history) would be Big Boy. As that's a 4-8-8-4 (or 2D-D2) it's an unlikely choice as Zephyr rightly points out so maybe its smaller cousin the Challenger? That's a 4-6-6-4...

I could only dream of TLG releasing a Big Boy, but a large steamer like the Challenger would be great as well :classic:

A Big Boy would be an awesome set, but probably could not fit in the normal price range for an exclusive train.

However the US has a few other iconic trains such as the SP Daylights, the UP FEF, the New York Hudson, I would even be happy to have a small period freight loco such as a 2-8-0 or the like.

A Big Boy would be an awesome set, but probably could not fit in the normal price range for an exclusive train.

That and it might have trouble navigating turns with the current track radius. And switch points, forget about it :classic:

As for diesel engines, I would love to see a German V200. It will be hard to beat the one designed by James Mathis though.

Arent most Lego train now adays german diesels?

Absolutely.

Except the Emerald night, the Maersk, the Horizon Express...

^ I think Sptifire2865 meant regular LEGO CITY engines, such as 7939 's yellow cargo engine or 3677 with the red cargo switcher, and 7897 looks very much like an ICE train. The older 7898 green engine is proably based off the Swedish engines (ala 4551, Crocodile Locomotive) while 7938 looks like many engines from many European countries.

Back on topic:

In my opnion I would love a Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 (electric) or a Southern Pacfifc G4 Daylight (steam) in ethier the orange livery or wartime black. :wub:

Edited by Murdoch17

Absolutely.

Except the Emerald night, the Maersk, the Horizon Express...

But those are Creator Expert sets, not the standard train.

And I would like a nicely designed Hudson. Tried to make one myself, Kinda failed...

I have split this from the Maersk train thread as it was becoming off topic. :classic:

There doesn't appear to be any mystery about the refresh cycle for the Creator train sets. Two years. Next model in 2015. Lego appears to have figured out the size of that market. They did not have to discount the EN or Maersk trains at retirement. Further, the replacement to Maersk, HE, arrived just as Maersk was becoming scarce. Lego nailed those sales projections.

The current City sets (7938 and 7939), however, are now approaching the three year mark. In the US, Lego continues to run out of stock and Amazon has more or less stopped stocking them. Are replacements coming? Or has Lego simply misjudged sales? My guess is that Lego is hoping to push sales to 79111 this year (hence the included track) and that they have a City replacement in 2014.

I second the vote for a Hudson (non streamlined version) as the next Creator train. A highly detailed break-down crane would also sell well. I hope Lego is listening.

I second the vote for a Hudson (non streamlined version) as the next Creator train. A highly detailed break-down crane would also sell well. I hope Lego is listening.

For your vote on a non streamlined Hudson, I thank you. I personally prefer the non-streamlined version as it has more purpose rather than a strict luxury passenger locomotive. Though Lego could turn it into the 20th Century, Or the Pacemaker freight service, Or even just a mixed goods train. So many possibilities with a simple Hudson!

^ I think Sptifire2865 meant regular LEGO CITY engines, such as 7939 's yellow cargo engine or 3677 with the red cargo switcher, and 7897 looks very much like an ICE train. The older 7898 green engine is proably based off the Swedish engines (ala 4551, Crocodile Locomotive) while 7938 looks like many engines from many European countries.

I thought we were mainly talking about the exclusive/creator expert type of sets. Looking at the regular train sets I still don't see many German diesels.

7897 is certainly based on the ICE. It's German, but not a diesel. I don't know much about Swedish trains but I always thought 7898 was based on the E44. Again, German but not a diesel.

3677 is a diesel alright and is indeed a fairly generic European freight machine, for example it could be the Dutch class 6400.

The current sets 7938 & 7939 are also generic designs but since both have pantographs they're not diesels.

I'd like to see one of the classic German steam loco's. Not very likely for the next set (see comments above, chances are it'll be a US train) although it would be nice for the 35th anniversary of the classic 7750...