Izzy

LEGO in Film & TV: Index of Appearances

This one is quite interesting. LEGO was featured on the Science channels new series World's Strangest episode "Strangest Places". Apparently Tony Kettle, the wheels lead architect, came up with the idea while "playing with his daughter", while he displayed a small, simple LEGO version of the wheel. So, LEGO helped create the Falkirk wheel? :classic:

I'm glad to see this topic is still active! Recently I spotted some old LEGO in the Swedish scifi series Real Humans: LEGO in Real Humans S2E1

The site maintained for this purpose which has been linked in this thread has one example added from the first series premier which includes a LEGO set also about 16 years old at the time of filming: http://bricks.inmovi.es/movie_2180271_Akta-manniskor.html

Previously I uploaded a screenshot to flickr from the pilot for Caprica, a series which has some thematic similarities to Real Humans but includes a set on their set which was new the year it was filmed: Mars Mission MT-51 Claw-Tank in Caprica Pilot: Part II (2009)

The site maintained for this purpose which has been linked in this thread has one example added from the first series premier which includes a LEGO set also about 16 years old at the time of filming: http://bricks.inmovi...-manniskor.html

It's my site ;) I'll add your pics to it, if you're ok with it

Edited by antp

It's my site ;) I'll add your pics to it, if you're ok with it

Sure, go ahead! Are you personally affiliated with IMCDb? I've loved that site since perhaps first finding this thread and have since found its indices a very useful resource.

Thanks ;)

Yes, IMCDb is my site too (I didn't create it originally but it is me who handles it since several years now)

Edited by antp

AMC Television series The Walking Dead.

For anyone familiar, at a flashback of the prison, character Patrick is shown playing with legos.

Season 4 Ep: 16

Historically accurate LEGO bricks appeared in last night's series two premiere of Utopia on Channel 4 with this scene set in 1979, one of LEGO's biggest years.

14477137358_b1913acae8_c.jpg

1979, one of fashion's lowest years.

Edited by Artanis I

Josh Gad was on the Tonight Show last night promoting "Wish I Was Here". In the clip he was at door of a couple bargaining the LEGO Death Star for 3 hours of babysitting.

1979, one of fashion's lowest years.

I'm quite certain that at least the colours of the young girl's clothing were chosen to reflect the colours of the bricks. The first series greatly emphasised odd colour choices for props based on those present at the filming locations, and the two new episodes have extended this practice for wardrobe choices which in the "present day" scenes are even more striking.

In The Lego Movie, a cityscape built out of LEGO bricks can be seen in Finn's basement.

I still haven't seen this film! Are there a lot of actual LEGO models in it, or are the official sets pretty much based on unused and more toyetic concepts that the producers rejected in opposition to that sort of exploitative marketing?

I have seen some official sets on LEGO Movie, both in the fantasy LEGO world and in the real world. But it's around 99% original creations, excluding LEGO Movie sets released for the movie.

I'm quite certain that at least the colours of the young girl's clothing were chosen to reflect the colours of the bricks. The first series greatly emphasised odd colour choices for props based on those present at the filming locations, and the two new episodes have extended this practice for wardrobe choices which in the "present day" scenes are even more striking.

You know, I never even realised that the clothes were the same colours as the bricks. Only that your included snapshot lines up with all family photos from the era, demonstrating the same thing that we eventually learn of every era: the fashion of the day was awful!

And in '79 I'd swear those clothes where spun from used Lego bricks. :wacko:

Edited by Modelmaker

I still haven't seen this film! Are there a lot of actual LEGO models in it, or are the official sets pretty much based on unused and more toyetic concepts that the producers rejected in opposition to that sort of exploitative marketing?

Pretty much all of the sets are based directly on scenes from the movie, though some of the designs are slightly altered to make them more feasible as toys. For instance, Metalbeard's Sea Cow in the movie is massive, but the set is scaled down to something that could be sold for $250. Emmet's Construct-o-Mech in the movie is likewise MASSIVE, easily two or three times the size of the set. The Melting Room in the movie is also much larger and more complex. But in answer to your question, rest assured that not a single one of the sets is based on an unused concept (though there might very well be concept models in the movie that were envisioned as sets but never ended up on store shelves, including a handful of wacky flying machines similar to the ones in the "2-in-1" sets).

While it's not from any one specific show, I have noticed on many of the DIY or how things are made shows, I've noticed whenever they are describing something made from ABS pellets, the narrator almost always says " The same stuff LEGOs are made from" :classic:

I watched an episode of modern family the other night (the one where Phil tries to sell his old station wagon) and as Phil was clearing the garage he fell backwards knocking over a pile of junk and was showered in Lego from a box on a high shelf.

As said the Lego Movie includes LEGO during the entire thing animated wise and at the end there is a basement that includes a city and the other realms of the movie. I know that Emmets car is the CITY Small Car.

Historically accurate LEGO bricks appeared in last night's series two premiere of Utopia on Channel 4 with this scene set in 1979, one of LEGO's biggest years.

14477137358_b1913acae8_c.jpg

I see cross supports!

Thanks for the info, guys. I will see the film eventually... I found I was left in the dark for many references to it at BrickFair last weekend.

I see cross supports!

Which it seems were introduced for 2x4s in 1979 along with many other modern parts. With the exception of the light grey 2x6 (which I now see was introduced in 1993) and the light grey plate (introduced with Classic Space in 1979) it's possible that the bricks appearing in this scene are from 7-2: http://www.bricklink...gItem.asp?S=7-2 (Granted the 2x10 blue brick must be from a similar Basic Set.)

Last week's episode of Utopia had a similar scene set in a modern-day American home with a young girl assembling a stack of 2x4 Duplo bricks or perhaps it was a clone brand, either way with bright pastel colors. It's a really quick glimpse within literally the first minute of the episode, and because you can barely see the bricks I won't bother with a screenshot.

Thanks for the info, guys. I will see the film eventually... I found I was left in the dark for many references to it at BrickFair last weekend.

Which it seems were introduced for 2x4s in 1979 along with many other modern parts. With the exception of the light grey 2x6 (which I now see was introduced in 1993) and the light grey plate (introduced with Classic Space in 1979) it's possible that the bricks appearing in this scene are from 7-2: http://www.bricklink...gItem.asp?S=7-2 (Granted the 2x10 blue brick must be from a similar Basic Set.)

Oh, were they? I stand corrected... Just going by my childhood collection of bricks (1980-1988 or so), which had zero 2x4 bricks with cross supports. :)

Oh, were they? I stand corrected... Just going by my childhood collection of bricks (1980-1988 or so), which had zero 2x4 bricks with cross supports. :)

According to Bricklink, the transition wasn't universal and immediate, but rather primary color 2x4s without cross supports appeared in Basic Sets through the early 80s before being wholly phased out in 1984, while the rare light grey 2x4 without cross supports is listed as an alternate for 1990's King's Mountain Fortress, though this seems somewhat suspect to me.

According to Bricklink, the transition wasn't universal and immediate, but rather primary color 2x4s without cross supports appeared in Basic Sets through the early 80s before being wholly phased out in 1984, while the rare light grey 2x4 without cross supports is listed as an alternate for 1990's King's Mountain Fortress, though this seems somewhat suspect to me.

Yeah... Bricklink as a historical source for this sort of thing has always seemed a bit suspect to me. But no, it couldn't have been immediate. :)

I watched an episode of modern family the other night (the one where Phil tries to sell his old station wagon) and as Phil was clearing the garage he fell backwards knocking over a pile of junk and was showered in Lego from a box on a high shelf.

I was actually just going to mention this. There's a bit of an error in that scene(unintentionally).

I don't watch that show generally, so I can't give an exact date as to when the episode first aired, but it was one of the first seasons. The error? The box is up on the shelf like it was 'outgrown'. Which is understandable...except that they left it in the original plastic box. A unique, light blue with trans-blue lid that, depending on when it was released, had either literally just been released, or had been released a year prior to the airing.

Either way, that kid outgrew those fast.

Another addition to the list, from the Adult Swim animated sci-fi comedy series Rick and Morty: Brick and Morty