Bonaparte

Press Release 10237 - Tower of Orthanc

I'm glad they didn't make a new orc for this set. If we did we'd be stuck with 2 isegard orcs over and over instead of POSSIBLY getting a new orc that isnt from isengard.

If Lego were gonna make a new orc, I would of thought they would have done it by now for the Black Gate or Corsair Ship sets since neither of these would of had Isengard Orcs present. Instead we got the exact same orc as in the Orc Forge and Orthanc sets. This leads me to believe it's just a generic Mordor Orc that they plan on reusing for awhile regardless of location :sceptic:

Edited by Deathleech

If Lego were gonna make a new orc, I would of thought they would have done it by now for the Black Gate or Corsair Ship sets since neither of these would of had Isengard Orcs present. Instead we got the exact same orc as in the Orc Forge and Orthanc sets. This leads me to believe it's just a generic Mordor Orc that they plan on reusing for awhile regardless of location :sceptic:

Well if theres a wave 3 it has the potential to be awesome! Faramir, gondorian soldier and new armored print mordor orc!

I would hope they would do a proper gundabad orc if we get any hobbit sets involving orcs this december!

Anyone think Grima would benefit from Thorin's hair? the Dastan hair looks abit too cutesey on him.

Edited by deskp

For all you Ent-lovers, consider this: the back will probably look terrible!

This picture shows the back of the Ent, not too bad...

20130426-142306.jpg?w=627

It's just how I wanted it - great for display but with an excellent interior for playability. The minifigures, accessories and details are great, and it is huge! I will be getting this in July (which is thankfully earlier than I was expecting it to come out! Yay!). There are some pictures showing Saruman with legs instead of his dress-piece: is this a mistake or is it possible it comes with both? Also, I agree that the lack of Treebeard indicates more sets later on - it's exactly like Orc Forge from last year: there was no Saruman, even though it was obvious he should have been there if the theme was going to only be one wave, so therefore I was positive that the wave was continuing and we were getting a Saruman this year! :grin:

Hello, beautiful... Wow. It's all I could've hoped for an more - and at that price! Total steal, and an absolute must for my collection. It's even bigger than I could've imagined.

There are some pictures showing Saruman with legs instead of his dress-piece: is this a mistake or is it possible it comes with both?

It's no mistake, the set does come with both, there is a picture of everything that comes with the set. :classic:

Omg... holy cow, that. Is. Amazing! I hope it was completed from 2 sides, I don't like that Lego-style of selling half of the building but anyway it looks great!

I'm not a LOTR fanatic so I'm ambivalent about the set, however I did run the numbers through a calculator and can provide some quick comparissons against existing sets:

10193 - MMV - 4.497p/6.245c per piece - as a comparisson for an unlicensed set with comparable detail levels

79003 - BagEnd - 9.201p/10.735c per piece - as a comparisson for a licensed set with comparable detail levels

10237 - Orthanc - 7.206p/8.478c per piece

So in terms of price per piece it's not as bad as the smaller sets but worse than unlicensed sets. I'll admit that if were released MMV now (rather than 4 years ago) it would probably be more expensive due to inflation and the piece cost would be nearer 5p/7c per piece.

Since the eagle offers 4 studs on its back, it would make sense to use one of the techniques that can built a kneeling fig.

quite some parts! also nice eagle and nice design even for non-historic themes people like me

This will be the biggest set I've ever got.

I'll have to sell it later on, but I must build it. So I will. If I shuffle up the bags, it could take a week!

I think I know what I'm going to buy this christmas. :wub: This is propably best set ever. Minifigs are great, ent looks cute and eagle is awesome addition. :sweet: Also details on stickers are amazing (portraits of all wizards - even the blue ones and wargs in dungedons).

I wonder if I should buy two so I can sell the other one a few years later. Do you think that the price will rise once it's out of production?

I wonder if I should buy two so I can sell the other one a few years later. Do you think that the price will rise once it's out of production?

Oh yeah, the price is definitely going to spike once it's out of production ($400 -$700, maybe even $1,000?). Also, did anyone else notice that we get several of the new Gothic arches in black? :thumbup:

Edited by Mr_Malfoy

Wow. I'm sure as hell not going to buy this, but I'm definitely going to take a few design hints from this every once in a while.

Oh yeah, the price is definitely spike once it's out of production ($400 -$700?). Also, did anyone else notice that we get several of the new Gothic arches in black? :thumbup:

Agreed on the investment potential. I am very pleased for the fans, but I don't think I need all that black. Mind you, that's what I said about the UCS MF..... :hmpf_bad:

Gothic arches are the future! I prefer to have them in the tans and greys though.

:classic:

My wife and I just agreed this would be our mutual wedding anniversary present this year (we got married in July). Guess I won't be needing to buy that small Saruman/Gandalf set anymore. Does Saruman have the same torso in both sets? Also does one of the orcs have a unique torso or is that just the Mordor orc one?

I think it's great that TLG is doing an UCS style set for something other that Star Wars, although the open back is dissapointing to me. Also this sounds greedy but I wish it was bigger so there was more room on the top, I know LEGO is never 100% to scale but the top of the tower seems way to small to recreate any scene from the movie.

Still awesome and would make a bitchin display piece.

Wow. This is going to sit alongside my pirate ships, haunted house and Arkham as 'sets I never intend to pack up'. As far as height goes, I think it's about right for the set (too high would bump the price up too high) but clearly there's potential to MOC in a few extra floors.

Hopefully if this sells well we'll get a UCS Minas Tirith or Barad-dur

One oddity - why are they also releasing the wizards battle as a separate set? Lego is usually more craft than that...

Well that way people have access to Sauruman who might not be able to afford Orthanc.

My wife and I just agreed this would be our mutual wedding anniversary present this year (we got married in July). Guess I won't be needing to buy that small Saruman/Gandalf set anymore. Does Saruman have the same torso in both sets? Also does one of the orcs have a unique torso or is that just the Mordor orc one?

Nope he has a different print in both sets.

Really tempting to get into Lego LOTR right now. I really dig this tower. Evil!

That Ent needs more hinges though.

:cry_sad: i wish i was rich...