Paddyb98

Help with 9v cargo railway

I just recieved a opy of set 4559, cargo railway. I immediately went out and put it together, but he train wouldn't run. The connection piece the runs from the regulator to the track has exposed metal where the rubber degraded. The regulator light Is bright when the track isn't connected to it, but when they are connected, the light becomes dim? Any help?

From the sounds of it, there's a short occurring somewhere on the track. You mentioned the track to regulator wire has a tear in it, are any of those metal wires damaged?

Sounds like it is sorting from my experiance of 9v. I would replace the cable betweel the controler and track thay are not that costly about $5 off bricklink.

http://www.bricklink...m.asp?P=5306c01

Or to save a buck you could cut the cable and rewire it up where it is exposed.

But is sounds just like it is shorting and the regulator is just kicking into its like safe mode. The light will also dim if you have two controler on the same track loop going in oposite directions. The make up of 9v is very basic is like DC model trains. One track is + one is - if there is + and - on same track side a short happens. It sounds like the damage cable has the + and - wires connecting if you chop the bad bit out and rewire and put some heat shrink over each cable that should fix the issue.

Edited by Lazarus

I put some electrical tape over the individual wires that were exposed, and it seems to be working now. I be back in a little bit to find out if this was a good solution.

There seem to be at least two different types of wires used in the connection wires. From my experience, the ones that are 'rubbery' (the cables look matte) tend to degrade over time, whereas the ones hat are more 'plasticky' (the cables are shiny) don't. Can anyone confirm this?

There seem to be at least two different types of wires used in the connection wires. From my experience, the ones that are 'rubbery' (the cables look matte) tend to degrade over time, whereas the ones hat are more 'plasticky' (the cables are shiny) don't. Can anyone confirm this?

I can. I have multiple cables which have the rubbery wire you describe which came from the more recent 9v sets whereas I have one copy of the other which came from the oldest 9v set I own. The latter cables are also thinner than the newer cables I've noticed as well.

Hello

Get yourself a 9v battery and two pieces of wire and test motor bogie and then track with motor.

If all okay, certainly the wire, you'll be able to bodge one up no problem.

Chris

Are you using a simply oval of track? You have not built a reversing loop which has created an "illegal" layout and a short circuit?