Recently I had the idea that I can use the camera while building.

I decided to make a video with pictures taken during the build.

I used the Canon EOS 550D and EOS Utility.

First I built 42011.

I made about 450 photos.

This is the result of this operation:

Another set was 42006 Excavator.

In this case, I made a 1450 photos.

The mistake I made ​​was half the battery. In the film, if you can not see when I take out the battery and Stand the tripod.

Photos were taken at night with a fluorescent lamp.

A little strange being built with the knowledge that the picture is taken every 5 sec and you have to take your hands :).

Significantly increases the time to build if you shoot images.

Here is the result:

I think to build all the sets in this way.

For sure I have to build 42000 and 9396.

Here a link to my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sives1pwse

Sorry for spelling errors

Edited by sives1

I love it! It almost looks more like a time lapsed video to me than stop motion. Great effect! Do you have a timer that took a shot every 5 seconds?

I love it! It almost looks more like a time lapsed video to me than stop motion. Great effect! Do you have a timer that took a shot every 5 seconds?

As I wrote EOS Utility makes it possible. Unfortunately not be less than 5 sec.

With EOS Utility only set the camera on a tripod and we do the rest of your computer.

I really love timelapse videos :D And yours are well done. I like how you let the bags float out of the boxes. That is really cool. It reminds me of stop-motion films I have seen as a kid.

Awesome work :classic: I have done some stop-motion myself of a few CREATOR sets, and find if you do stop motion instead of time lapse (like you have) it at least triples the building time :grin:

That is a interesting idea,it's very time consuming making a stop motion. :classic:

Obviously the OP did not use a Go Pro camera, but with something like a Go Pro, you can set it to take an image every 30 seconds, I guess you could then stitch the images together quite quickly to make a time lapse video, although without controlling when the image is taken, you would end up with moving and blur hands coming in and out the shot I guess which is not the case in the above film.

It is cool

Paul

I picked up a recently purchased 42009 : D

This time the model built in the foreground.

I set the camera on a tripod behind my back. Quite inconvenient because you have to take your head.

This time the pictures done manually, manually clicking on the laptop (no time at 5 seconds as before).

All setup manually. It definitely brightened the picture .

I resigned from the show build individual sections because, I would have to do a lot more pictures and use a SLR camera .

There is still some mistakes, but I try to overcome them .The first thing I do is supply a constant voltage, and not from the battery ( the battery discharges quickly ).

This time I did 830 pictures. It took two nights, about six hours each, and of image processing in the movie .

Feel free to write what bothers you, and that is ok, then I'll know what to do next time when I did the movie.

Enjoy :

I'm sorry if I make English mistakes.

That was a really cool video. It's nice that you showed some of the functions during the build.

While the result is indeed very nice, I 'ponder' at the usefulness of such video. Do not get me wrong, mastering the needed technical skills and having enough patience for such endeavors is commendable. Yet, at the same time, I am not sure I see a value added as the video is simply 'fun-to-watch' (maybe fun-to-make too) ... but nothing more. Possibly where I am coming from is ... as we age, we tend to be more 'careful' in how we spend our time, and projects that require a long commitment are no longer that attractive. All the Best.

I love how smooth you made the stop motion! I think I would agree with the others though that the excessive amount of time might not be worth it. But that is up to you to decide!

tim

As I wrote EOS Utility makes it possible. Unfortunately not be less than 5 sec.

With EOS Utility only set the camera on a tripod and we do the rest of your computer.

Sweet! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I have been testing with 360 degree photography and such a utility program is just what I need. I have borrowed a Canon EOS 600D, so it's perfect :sweet::thumbup:

This time I did 830 pictures. It took two nights, about six hours each, and of image processing in the movie .

Feel free to write what bothers you, and that is ok, then I'll know what to do next time when I did the movie.

that was really great!! awesome effort. enjoyed every bit.

Great job! Best stop motion I think I've ever seen. Well done.

Mike

I second that! Very well done.

While the result is indeed very nice, I 'ponder' at the usefulness of such video. Do not get me wrong, mastering the needed technical skills and having enough patience for such endeavors is commendable. Yet, at the same time, I am not sure I see a value added as the video is simply 'fun-to-watch' (maybe fun-to-make too) ... but nothing more. Possibly where I am coming from is ... as we age, we tend to be more 'careful' in how we spend our time, and projects that require a long commitment are no longer that attractive. All the Best.

You're right, but I had to build it, and if it takes me four hours more taking pictures during the build is not quite such a waste of time. It's nice how you can see how the model is built himself :). Some people do not have this model and they can see how the build looks.

Wow, perfect video without "hands" in the picture...... awesome :thumbup:

I tried to make it look like a model was created himself.

Below the first short test on 8043 before building 42009:

Thank you for your kind words.

You're right, but I had to build it, and if it takes me four hours more taking pictures during the build is not quite such a waste of time. It's nice how you can see how the model is built himself :). Some people do not have this model and they can see how the build looks.

You're absolutely right ... and please do not get me wrong. My point was more an admission that 'I' will never find the patience/dedication to do such work. That makes your accomplishment it even more appreciable ... May you have many 'fun' hours doing the larger models. Happy building & 'stop-motioning'.

Here's one I did a few years ago:

8455 Backhoe -

Was filmed on an old Apple EyeSight Camera (firewire!) on my PC

I really admire the time and effort some people put into building on a pristine white surface, and snapshot every little piece moving!

I've done a few new ones too - playing with a new webcam, while building in front of my pc - a couple of the recent motorbikes.. should really youtube them too!

RB

Edited by RohanBeckett

I love my Canon EOS 550D and EOS Utility!

I havn't explored the software as much as you have, but from what I did see it was better than any "free" stop motion programs.

Great job!

Finally a good build video of the 42009. Well done!

You could also use a remote trigger instead of the auto 5s shooting / having the laptop next to you.. that way you can sit as you like, build a step,click the button and continue.

I hoped that one day somebody will do this! I wondered why TLG doesn't do this as a marketing on their website.

The videos are cool, 42009 looks great in stop motion.

Keep up the good work!