The 42000 hubs have an incredible amount of slack. That's the issue. The turntables have practically 0 slack.

Also, the turntables allow now to mount a liftarm flush against the pinholes, and you don't have to deal with the thick portion between the pinholes, that prevents this on the 42000 hubs.

What needs to be done still is to widen the 3 pins a bit, because now, the slack is evident in the pins, that allow the wheel to move slightly, but noticeably.

I will explain this in the next video.

Error 404: The two 1x1 parts I made from this did not exist.... You were correct about the other 'cutting up' that I said did not count, rather than wait for bricklink I cut something I had plenty of into two of something I needed that day and did not have.

TwentyLeggedHen: It was for kingpins in my Magnums steering.

Boxerlego: I agree with your comment about cost, I also do not see any problem in modifying simple parts to fit a need, like 3L thin liftarms.

The Ghost Racer: Thank you, I am happy that my opinion is agreed with.

Error 404: The two 1x1 parts I made from this did not exist.... You were correct about the other 'cutting up' that I said did not count, rather than wait for bricklink I cut something I had plenty of into two of something I needed that day and did not have.

It was before the piece you made, was made by TLG? Then I get it.

@ nicjasno: I like how you're willing to cut *oh2* the Lego plastic with wire cutters and your lathe.

The finished product does look like something lego could (should) have done. And it eliminates all the flaws of the new wheel hubs.

Video of the wheel hub modification:

W :oh:W! That was amazing :classic: to watch. Good work! I look forward to see the wheel hubs in action. The design looks promising!

The attachment points and dimensions are exactly the same as in the normal lego wheel hubs, but without their drawbacks (slack, thicker center section that limits mounting points).

I would like one of these but with the cross hole made a pin hole and moved out of alignment with the other pin hole by half a stud.

32013.jpg?0

Edited by SNIPE

The only parts I really modify are the pneumatic hoses (cutting them to a better length) and the thin rigid hoses. Those thin hoses have a lot of good uses -- connecting pneumatic tubes, working as connectors in some situations, and, of course, decoration.

Has anyone tried 3d printing custom parts like cogs or a differential?

And if not, how much interest is there in such a product, what parts would people most like to see, and what would they be willing to pay for each? It sounds like the main categories are

1) suspension (steered wheels rotating about their centers, CV joints with a large range of motion, suspensions other than double wishbone)

2) stronger differentials (and maybe 3L ones that are slightly wider so they don't skip under high torque)

3) gearbox improvements (clutch gears with other than 16 teeth)

4) rim gears for planetary/epicyclic gearing (other than the large turntable and the Power Miners wheel)

5) more realistic (i.e., thinner) wheels and tires

6) RF control instead of IR

7) new liftarm and connector designs (3L thin, 2x3 L-shaped, 3L pin and axle connector perpendicular with the axle and pin holes switched, etc.)

TLG also doesn't make helical gears, but I don't think there would be much advantage to making them and they would likely be fragile at this scale. What about flex splines for harmonic drives? Beveled clutch gears? Gears with other numbers of teeth (since we are missing 28 and 32, except for the 28 teeth on the 3L differential)?

For number 2 that Torsen I see every now and then here.

But modding parts... I feel unholy about it :devil:

I personally shy away from modding parts, because I like the challenge of working with the same parts everyone else has; but I share and understand the frustrations people have with the limitations of those parts, and I understand why some people do prefer to modify some parts. What I'm suggesting is another option - instead of modding parts ourselves, what if there was a third-party company that produced "beyond Technic" LEGO-compatible parts for really advanced building? That could be useful for AFOLs who wanted to build more realistic MOCs, and potentially for educational purposes (and who knows, even as a rapid-prototyping tool for engineers).

I would love to have something like this:

It's really beautifully made, and could even maybe benefit system builders.

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

I would like one of these but with the cross hole made a pin hole and moved out of alignment with the other pin hole by half a stud.

32013.jpg?0

I would like to have that part with an axle hole instead of a pin hole. Basically an improved and seemingly stronger version of this:

32039.jpg

I find this one weak by its construction, I think it would be stronger if it was made in the style of the angled connector #1.

About the new style diffs with that litle box in the middle. Under certain circunstances the small cogs easily fall at high speed. I understand the little box is there to keep them aligned but I wonder if cutting the small box and using slighly longer axles with a bush will accomplish the same while making it harder for the cogs to fall.

About the new style diffs with that litle box in the middle. Under certain circunstances the small cogs easily fall at high speed. I understand the little box is there to keep them aligned but I wonder if cutting the small box and using slighly longer axles with a bush will accomplish the same while making it harder for the cogs to fall.

Or this:

new_diff_assembled.jpg