19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

gallery_101_23_281.gif

As soon as I received this set as a gift back in 2000 when it was first released, I fell in love. Now, 13 years later, does it still hold up? Let's take a look:

7144 Slave I

Pieces: 166

Minifigs: 1

Price: $20

Year of Release: 2000

Description:

Can you stop Boba Fett?

Han Solo is trapped in a case of carbonite and Boba Fett is transporting him to evil Jabba the Hutt. They race through space on Fett's ship, Slave I. This ship is dangerous and loaded with deadly surprises for anyone who dares challenge it!

7144_cover.jpg

PART ONE: Parts and Introduction

Here are the contents of the set. A lot of green, black, gray, and brown, with an assortment of blue, trans-orange, red, yellow, tan, trans-black, and white.

overview-pieces.jpeg

The unusual pieces are pictured here. Only one of each type is pictured, so note that multiple may actually be included in the set. The windscreens and slopes are particuraly useful for MOCS.

unusual_pieces.jpeg

PART TWO: The Instruction Book

Onto the instruction book. A few nice little details that weren't replicated in sets post 2001. First, names under minifig pictures.

minifig_page.jpeg

Second, the movie scenes in the top of each page in the manual. I love this detail-it gets you in the appropriate mood to build the set.

movie_scenes.jpeg

Finally, a very miniscule thing here, but there is a bounty hunter insignia behind the step numbers.

bounty_hunter_insignia.jpeg

PART THREE: Minifigures

To the minifigs! One of the main selling points of the set was the inclusion of Boba Fett and Carbonite Han. They are both spectacular: detailed yet still keeping the feel of classic LEGO.

minifigs.jpeg

Here's an Episode V reference for Boba. The basic feel has been masterfully captured (even though the recent variations have been much more screen-accurate).

minifig-reference.jpg

PART FOUR: The Build

The build is simple, nonrepetitive, and takes about 15-20 minutes. I'll be showing the progress of the build in five step intervals.

Step 5:

step5.jpeg

Step 10:

step10.jpeg

Step 15:

step15.jpeg

Step 20:

step20.jpeg

Step 25:

step25.png

Step 28 brings us near the conclusion, with the sub-assembly of the front wedge complete:

step28-front_done.png

And we're done!

overview.png

back.jpeg

Obviously this version isn't as detailed or screen accurate as later LEGO incarnations, but it still captures the essence of the ship.

slave_i-movie_reference.png

PART FIVE: Features

The features of the set are fairly simple. I'll be starting with the storage compartment.

storage1.pngstorage2.png

As you can see, Han does not immediately slide out once the compartment opens. You have to sort of fish him out with your finger, a grueling process that will cause you to harbor depressive feelings for years to come.

The next stop on this wonderous journey of wonders is the cockpit, beautifully decorated with printed tiles:

cockpit.jpegcockpit-2.jpeg

The last feature is the most iconic of the ship, the rotating wings. Here we'll start in landing position:

wings-down.jpegwings-up.jpeg

And now, by merely picking the ship up, they rotate! It's controlled solely by gravity, and unlike later incarnations, Boba's seat isn't connected to the mechanism. Looks like he'll just have to deal with the extra blood in his head. Maybe that's why he tried to fly over the Sarlacc with his jetpack. Overall, it works pretty well with the only downside to this feature being that if it is tilted even a little past the verticle position, the wings will look a bit wonky. :sceptic:

wings-con.jpeg

PART SIX: Final Verdict

overview-end.jpeg

MINIFIGS-10/10 The figures are classic. These figures were used relatively unchanged for 11 years, a testament to how iconic they are.

PARTS-9/10 The parts selection here is great-a lot of uncommon/exclusive pieces. The only gripe I have is the top section of the back of the ship. Why was it necessary for it to be black while the rest of the rear is grey?

DESIGN-8/10 The design here is great for the $20 price. The wings bother me and it feels like that it could have been fixed with a piece connected to the Technic axle.

FEATURES-10/10 All of the features that were present in the movie have been represented here. Not much more I could ask for.

SWOOSHABILITY-8/10 It's fun to swoosh around, but it looks odd when the ship takes a nose dive because of the wings.

FINAL VERDICT-45/50 or... 9/10! A classic that is a great add to any LEGO Star Wars collection! But that could just be my nostalgia goggles talking... goggles can't talk though.

PART SEVEN: Conclusion?

This review is over, and the Slave I soars off into the whiteness of pillow sheet and/or wall. But what's that in the foreground...? Is that an upcoming review...?

cloud_city.jpeg

Edited by Piranha
Added poll.

Very nice review! This is one of those sets I had no idea about- I was making my weekly shopping rounds close to Christmas of '99 and saw this on the shelf along with the Desert Skiff and A-Wing. It was wonderful seeing the very first Boba Fett minifig, and to this day remains one of my favorites. The ship, however, was disappointing. I thought it should have been bigger, somewhere in the $40-50 range, but I got it anyway. Besides, all the green slopes were nice to have, generally uncommon at the time. I think I ended up with a few of these sets- they got marked down at Target the next year, and then showed up in a Combo Pack as well.

Thanks for the review, montyofmusic! I still was in my Dark Ages when this set was released, so I didn't really have a clue about the whole Star Wars line of LEGO products. I have to say that the old sets don't really do anything for me today, but that's probably because we've been spoiled by the ever-improving accuracy of the following waves of sets. But I'm sure I'd loved the set despite its blockiness, if I had stumbled upon it these 13 years ago.

Good job on the review. I love the artwork on the instruction manual, but the model leaves much to be desired. Pretty good for way back then, but it looks like something I would've tried to build when I was twelve if I'd had the parts. :sceptic:

I have too much nostalgia for this set to recognize all the obvious design inferiority. And a part of me still prefers the old Boba but maybe that's just because of the more accurate jetpack.

It was wonderful seeing the very first Boba Fett minifig, and to this day remains one of my favorites. The ship, however, was disappointing. I thought it should have been bigger, somewhere in the $40-50 range, but I got it anyway.

I commend LEGO for creating the Slave I so soon in their license-it was a huge risk. While highly identifiable by adults, I'm not sure that Boba Fett was widely known by kids in 2000. I'm guessing they released a small set just in case it didn't do too well.

Great review, the only photo I miss here is the comparsion photo :)

Thanks! The only other incarnation of the set I have was the one released in 2011, and that one was broken down for parts unfortunately. I should have done a comparison photo with the minifigures though. Next review, I suppose.

I have too much nostalgia for this set to recognize all the obvious design inferiority. And a part of me still prefers the old Boba but maybe that's just because of the more accurate jetpack.

I feel the same way. New Boba's helmet is a work of art, and the printing may be much more accurate, but the old Boba still has its rightfully earned place.

Also, could a mod please add a poll to the topic? That would be fantastic.

What a great review! Compared with todays standards it looks like a Chibi version of the Slave I! And I have to admit, it's just a sweet set. It's like comparing todays City trucks with the 1980s trucks. Sure everything was smaller that days but that means it was different, and not necessarily better or worse.

And what I loved most about the 1999-2001 sets was the boxes. The LSW logo was epic, and I really dislike everything that came afterwards, especially todays we-seriously-want-your-money-Mr-dumb-collector SW branding. Getting the Hoth and Endor sets in 2009 was making me remember those good days.

1291163379m_SPLASH.jpg

I have this one stored I dont know where...

I really loved it and recognized that Boba were one of the best inifigures in that time.

In the early 2000,s this Ship and the first X-wing are the more accurate sets of the "romantic era" of Lego Star Wars

As someone with no nostalgia for this I don't really like it . Nostalgia is blinding you people! ;)

The build is okayish but inferior to the recent ones. The minifigure is inferior and his helmet is short and stubby or something...

3/10!

As someone with no nostalgia for this I don't really like it . Nostalgia is blinding you people! ;)

The build is okayish but inferior to the recent ones. The minifigure is inferior and his helmet is short and stubby or something...

3/10!

I'll concede that the ship was probably an incredible plaything in its time. But it's not something that I would keep out on the display shelves these days. A little too crude and blocky. But yes a classic in its own way, kinda like an 8 bit game sprite. The Boba Fett minifig and the frozen Han Solo brick however stand the test of time much better. While not as detailed as the new versions the Fett fig is very sharp, clean and distinctive. And avoids the whole lemonheads vs pinky debate.

I have this one stored I dont know where...

I really loved it and recognized that Boba were one of the best inifigures in that time.

In the early 2000,s this Ship and the first X-wing are the more accurate sets of the "romantic era" of Lego Star Wars

Don't forget 1999's 7130 Snowspeeder, which is very close in design to the last three snow speeders released, including the one from this year. The original basic design was nicely accurate, well shaped, and has held the test of time with very minor improvements.

What a great review! Compared with todays standards it looks like a Chibi version of the Slave I! And I have to admit, it's just a sweet set. It's like comparing todays City trucks with the 1980s trucks. Sure everything was smaller that days but that means it was different, and not necessarily better or worse.

And what I loved most about the 1999-2001 sets was the boxes. The LSW logo was epic, and I really dislike everything that came afterwards, especially todays we-seriously-want-your-money-Mr-dumb-collector SW branding. Getting the Hoth and Endor sets in 2009 was making me remember those good days.

I love the boxes as well. I'd say that everything started to go downhill post 2004, but the 99-01 boxes are by far my favorite. Classic LEGO Star Wars there.

As someone with no nostalgia for this I don't really like it . Nostalgia

3/10!

You have to remember what time this was made in. Of course these days it looks horrible, but (again comparing it to video games) that's like saying the Legend of Zelda is bad because of its 8 bit graphics.

I'll be back soon with a review of the one and only Cloud City!

Don't forget 1999's 7130 Snowspeeder, which is very close in design to the last three snow speeders released, including the one from this year. The original basic design was nicely accurate, well shaped, and has held the test of time with very minor improvements.

I agree with you, I have all the snow speeders (4 differents and I am thinking if the new battle of hoth worths to be added in the collection) And the first one is the bigger and very accurate for the time. Following your thoughts, the darth Vader's Tie Fighter and the Y-wing were very accurate too, I only have my reservations with the first Millenium Falcon...

BTW, in the end of the 1990's, one of the rules to the Lego designers was to make sets with the best variety of bricks to be used by kids in others constructions. That is one of the reasons of the NOT SO ACCURATE design of the sets. This order finished in the 2004 crisis, leading TLG for the search of profit. Just compare the number of Technic pieces in the sets before the crisis.

and of course the development of building technics by the AFOLS, spread by Mocpages and Brickshelf helped adding details in the sets.

Edited by Mr Meleca

I remember seeing this on the shelves back in the day - and believe me it was not attractive enough to bring me out of my Dark Ages back then!

I have a Kenner Slave I scaled to Action Figures from the same period and it still looks great today, but you can't say the same for this.

Great review! It's great to know how far Lego Star Wars has come in the past 13-14 years. I know there were other Slave I sets that came out after this one, with better details as the years went by. These early Star Wars sets were a nice change of pace as far as Lego themes went for the time, but not enough to bring me out of the dark ages. Nice set though.

Not to be an annoyance, but could this review be indexed? I would hate for it to be lost from existence (like some of my liscensed reviews).

I know. It's a old review. But a great one. But... 
It was my first ever Lego Star Wars set. I have this nostalgia too. In my opinion a great set. Simple as it. But it was the year 2000. 
I really love it :D