Sign in to follow this  
sarah-k

New here - question about modular buildings

Hi everyone! New to the forums here. I started getting back into Legos about 3 years ago when I got the Apple Tree House as a Christmas gift. I loved Legos as a kid and made many creations. I had a few little sets, like the camper, the emergency treatment center, and a small house kit. Anyway, long story short, I loved the Apple Tree House and since then I have been collecting the Creator houses. I have all but the original Town House and the first Family Home. They are great for a quick build with my daughter, and then she plays with them for days.

I came across the modular buildings one day online, and of course, I now want to collect those! But, since they are pricey, I think I will need to space out my purchases. Also, I fully expect never to obtain Green Grocer or Cafe Corner, because I'm just not willing to spend that much money. But, I would love to collect the ones currently available. It seems that Fire Brigade would be the one to get now since it is the oldest and could retire soon.

On to my actual question (sorry for the long post!): are the prices on Amazon (and the Lego store) generally what these sets cost? It looks like 3 are $149 and Town Hall is usually $199 (was on sale on Amazon for $177 for a few days). I keep a watch on ebay too, and I notice that there are so many listings for these sets, both used and new, that are way above those prices. I keep wondering why would anyone pay that much when you can get them cheaper on Amazon? Which made me wonder if it's a total fluke that they are all priced at $149 on Amazon right now, and I'm going to kick myself later when the prices go up..... Anyway, sorry, I hope I explained my concerns well enough. Basically, I don't want to miss out on decent pricing (I've seen how quickly they can increase in price once they are no longer readily available), but I know I can't buy them all right now...

One piece of advice I can give on the green grocer or cafe corner sets.....have you considered downloading the instructions and Bricklinking the parts.....even if you have to change some of the colours to ones that are affordable.

Now on prices, if you can get it cheaper go for.....but I would say ebay would be your last resort and I feel some real modular experts with through their two cents in as well. :wink:

Hi welcome here and welcome to the addiction called modulars. For a good indication of Lego's prices visit brickset.com

Basically: if the set is still in production (currently from Fire Brigade to Palace Cinema) never pay more than the prices on Brickset. If you can find it cheaper: buy them from any other store. European Amazon usually sells it around Lego's prices, sometimes a lot cheaper (like Grand Emporium and Pet Shop at the moment). I assume that is also the case with American Amazon.

Edited by merman

Welcome to EB and welcome to be addiction that is modular buildings. It seems like everyone who collects the modulars (me too) will tell you the same thing... "Once you get one, you can't stop".

If you do not already have a LEGO VIP account you should register or one, it's free and it essentially gives you a 5% discount on future purchases. Right now you can get the Fire Brigade for $150 through LEGO online and get free shipping.

Enjoy your modular addiction!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

One piece of advice I can give on the green grocer or cafe corner sets.....have you considered downloading the instructions and Bricklinking the parts.....even if you have to change some of the colours to ones that are affordable.

I have thought about bricklinking a green grocer - I'm wondering what that might cost? I will consider it, for sure.

Welcome to EB and welcome to be addiction that is modular buildings. It seems like everyone who collects the modulars (me too) will tell you the same thing... "Once you get one, you can't stop".

If you do not already have a LEGO VIP account you should register or one, it's free and it essentially gives you a 5% discount on future purchases. Right now you can get the Fire Brigade for $150 through LEGO online and get free shipping.

I totally get that, and I don't even have any yet!

I'll look into the VIP account. Although, I know I'll have to pay sales tax on lego.com, whereas on Amazon, I don't currently have to pay sales tax.

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I'll be able to spread out my purchases. If I can stand to wait :)

If you have Lego Digital Designer installed then coupled with LDD Manager (over here on Eurobricks) then the two coupled together are a bricklinker's dream. I've used it for a couple of my own small LDD designed MoC's and its a huge help.

Welcome to EB :classic:

I have thought about bricklinking a green grocer - I'm wondering what that might cost? I will consider it, for sure.

I BL'd my Cafe Corner and am part way thru BLing a Green Grocer. The Cafe Corner ended up costing about AU$400 (US$ is about the same as AU$ atm), i wanted to be fairly accurate with colours etc, and i was relatively inexperienced with BL, so i think if i really tried i could have knocked another $100 off that cost by colour/brick substitutes, AND being in Australia, the postage was an absolute killer, so i suspect being in the US you would be able to save on that too.

I have started collecting bricks for my Green Grocer, and again i plan to keep the colours as close as i can. I am also taking my time and ordering bricks with other orders to save on postage (and i'm not that flush with $$ atm). Once again tho, there are substitutions which would make it cheaper (like making the side walls white instead of the expensive sand green etc), but i'm hoping to keep the cost to around $300 incl. postage (this might be a bit optimistic, but still!! :grin: )

Anyway, for more info on BLing Cafe Corner this is the link: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60958&hl=

Happy building :laugh:

Welcome to EB :classic:

I BL'd my Cafe Corner and am part way thru BLing a Green Grocer. The Cafe Corner ended up costing about AU$400 (US$ is about the same as AU$ atm), i wanted to be fairly accurate with colours etc, and i was relatively inexperienced with BL, so i think if i really tried i could have knocked another $100 off that cost by colour/brick substitutes, AND being in Australia, the postage was an absolute killer, so i suspect being in the US you would be able to save on that too.

I have started collecting bricks for my Green Grocer, and again i plan to keep the colours as close as i can. I am also taking my time and ordering bricks with other orders to save on postage (and i'm not that flush with $$ atm). Once again tho, there are substitutions which would make it cheaper (like making the side walls white instead of the expensive sand green etc), but i'm hoping to keep the cost to around $300 incl. postage (this might be a bit optimistic, but still!! :grin: )

Anyway, for more info on BLing Cafe Corner this is the link: http://www.eurobrick...topic=60958&hl=

Thanks for sharing your experiences! That's a good suggestion about making substitutions, particularly on parts that don't show/matter. But, I need to build a set first before I get into bricklinking this stuff. Looking at the Pet Shop for my first modular!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! That's a good suggestion about making substitutions, particularly on parts that don't show/matter. But, I need to build a set first before I get into bricklinking this stuff. Looking at the Pet Shop for my first modular!

No problem, glad to be helpful :grin:

And the Pet Shop was my first modular too :classic: you will not be disappointed, it's a fantastic build and my favourite so far

Welcome!

I'm a modular collector, currently with CC, GG, FB, GE and PS. CC was built via Bricklink as it had been discontinued before I was ready to buy it — you can find out more about mine and other people's Bricklinked modulars on this thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60958&hl= It was certainly cheaper than buying a boxed set, although I did substitute some of the rarer bricks, and it's the route I'll be going down to build Market Street eventually.

As for the prices, the modulars are usually a sort of "Lego Exclusive" (at least in the UK anyway) ie. you can't buy them in general toy shops, only from Lego Stores or Lego.com. Any which make their way onto Amazon or eBay tend to be overpriced, possibly because the trader assumes people might not know where else to get them from.

Definitely start with what's still 'current' eg. Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, Town Hall and Palace Cinema and consider Bricklinking the rest. Pet Shop is a great set — loads of details to keep you amused!

I will basically repeat everyone else here. The Modulars are the "must have" LEGO sets for me. Those are the Winter Village series. I will buy those no matter what.

As far as official Modulars currently available, I would go with Fire Brigade and not only because it is the first to go (I read on here it will be gone later this year). That was my first Modular Christmas 2011 and it might be my favorite and I don't have an affinity to firefighting. I love the color usage and the build techniques. I was hesitant on Pet Shop for the longest time, but after I got it for Christmas this last year and built it I was glad I did. A lot of great little details and it's fun with the two buildings in one idea.

At least in the US, they are all priced at $149.99 except for Town Hall at $199.99. So buy them at that price or cheaper anytime you can. I've never seen a deal on them yet, or when I have I didn't have the money at that time, so I've been buying them full price but ultimately they are worth it if you compare price to piece. Plus, the number of pieces and the new build techniques you learn.

Go to that link to read about CC/GG builds because it is quite fun. I am almost complete with my bricklinked CC and I will do GG and Market Street sometime after. Best line LEGO has put out.

Those are good choices. I don't have any modular building yet, but I will get them sometime this year. My first pick would be the Fire Brigade, followed by the Grand Emporium :classic: .

Edited by DoctorKairam

I plan to budget for the CC and GG later in the year myself. I personally am going to try to get them with the instructions and box. Not new. Yeah I know I can save doing the BL thing, but that being said I don't consider it a real set that way. (I know this can turn into a giant argument ) Plus I always have it in the back of my head it is "unlikely" those two sets will ever lose a ton of value if I had some kind of real life emergency.

I received Pet Shop yesterday, and Fire Brigade is coming today. I also have a Grand Emporium that I got at a great price. Haven't yet pulled the trigger on Town Hall, and I'm waiting on Palace Cinema.

I am very interested in brinklinking GG. But, I am not a purist, so I will be substituting expensive parts. I want to try to build it as cheaply as possible while keeping some aesthetic, like only having the front sand green, and have the sides and back be a less expensive color. But, I won't be tackling that project until after I build my modular sets and after I've done my organization project with my Creator house sets (because I will likely borrow some pieces from those sets).

I agree with that idea. I plan on doing the same. Since I look at the front of my Modulars on the shelf, the sides/back don't matter much to me. As neat and complete as it can be (I love the ladder technique on the GG), I can't see myself wanting to spend the time and money on re-creating it when I will never get it down to look at it. Never meaning so rare that it won't matter. I have taken PS down a few times to look at them, but it doesn't matter. So I plan on doing GG in sand green on the front (the modified brick with the vertical slit are expensive I've heard) and then probably light bley on the rest since I have so much extra of that. That will save money for the more expensive parts that are essential to the look. I've seen GG without the slits and it didn't look right. I'm also going to modify the windows and use two 1x2x3 instead of the one 1x4x3.

Have fun building.

I was looking into the sand green blocks briefly, and I realized that I could split the 1x8 blocks into 2 1x4's and it would be a lot cheaper. So, maybe I'd be able to get sand green after all. I'll just see when I get into it. I'm actually going to Bricklink one of the early creator houses first because I don't need as many pieces. So, I'll see how that goes!

As for the modulars - I'm currently building Pet Shop and it's great. Well, actually, at this very moment, my 4-year-old is building Pet Shop, and I'm hanging out in our family room with my 10-month-old. Ummm.... The modulars are supposed to be for me! Oh well, she loves it, and it's occupying her :)

Bricklinking pieces to build the old sets...that's quite clever! I always considered a set "gone for good" if I missed it. I never considered that.

I have a question about the modulars too. Which to get first? The Town Hall or the Pet Shop? I am irrevocably in love with the Pet Shop (the details like the toilet, and those storm cellar doors!), but I like the Hall, too. It'll probably end up second on the list, but what do you guys think? You could sway my decision either way... I already have the Emporium, but didn't like it as much. As a result, it is slowly degenerating, as I have been taking pieces of it for other models for a while now. For MOCers, it's a terrific parts pack! So that didn't get me into the addiction that is known as Modulars. The PS and TH did.

P.S. The price difference between the Town Hall and Pet Shop wouldn't affect my pending decision. I want your opinions about the quality.

P.P.S. Sarah-K, if you don't have one yet, I highly recommend the VIP account. It saves me a little LEGO money once in a while, and I like that.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Hi

if youmare keep on the GG but did not want to buy or bricklink ist, there is a good option:

I purchased the Hauntwd House instead.

It is full of hard to get and expensive sandgreen. And it is a easy step to un-monster :) the house. What is left is a nice villa in a uncommon but beautiful color.

Those bricks are also a good start for a modular MOC!

Dino

It is full of hard to get and expensive sandgreen. And it is a easy step to un-monster :) the house. What is left is a nice villa in a uncommon but beautiful color.

This is exactly what I bought one for! I love it's look, though I'm having trouble deciding whether to keep it abandoned or renovating it for Bruce Wayne :blush::classic:

I originally purchased the Haunted House for the same purpose, but after building it, I can say I'd rather have the Haunted House together and come up with something for the GG.