Werlu Ulcur

SRU Truck

I ordered some SWAT officers for my future city so I needed a vehicle for them. Being that Lego has nothing even close, I spent this Sunday afternoon LDDing my own Special Response Unit truck:

8673686692_8110e755e4_c.jpg

8672584941_51914d23d0_c.jpg

8672584917_f5cce422f9_c.jpg

8673686552_f30dae5c5f_c.jpg

8673686532_ba4b838a2c_c.jpg

This is my first "big" LDD project, so I'm still learning the ropes (it takes forever to find the right parts in the library :sceptic:), but I think it came out at least half decent. I wanted something big, with enough space to carry at least 5 officers and gear, and with a few stickers I hope it will look nice in the brick. Since it's still in project form, any pointers/ideas would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:.

And a very important detail: is there a way for me to extract the parts inventory of the project so that I can make a BL list? At around 370 pieces it would be a bear to manually compilate everything I need :sick:.

Cool 8-wide! The only thing that bugs me is I think the rear axles should be closer together, or maybe just add another axle between them. Maybe try to lower the bottom by a plate or two also, but it looks good as is. Check out my vehicles, you might like them (signature MOC Pages link)

For making a parts list try LDDManager: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=41993

Just make sure the pieces you use in LDD exist, the Manager tells you if something exists or not, but not always. Worst case scenario you just have to change the color of something in your Wanted list after it's uploaded to BL.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Cool 8-wide! The only thing that bugs me is I think the rear axles should be closer together, or maybe just add another axle between them. Maybe try to lower the bottom by a plate or two also, but it looks good as is. Check out my vehicles, you might like them (signature MOC Pages link)

For making a parts list try LDDManager: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=41993

Just make sure the pieces you use in LDD exist, the Manager tells you if something exists or not, but not always. Worst case scenario you just have to change the color of something in your Wanted list after it's uploaded to BL.

You're right about the rear axles, I guess that's why it was looking "slow" in my eyes. It is blocky, no denying that, but maybe if I manage to move the middle axle a bit further backwards it won't look so much as a turtle mobile.

And a bazillion thanks for the LDDManager :thumbup:! That will be the ticket to make this project a real model.

Now that's huge.....must be RPG proof eh ? :wink:

Not bad designing there 'Werlu Ulcur' and Brick On LDD On ! :grin:

Thanks buddy! My ERU will be in some very hairy situations, so I better get them some tough gear :laugh:.

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

How does it look now?

8674521226_b9d6b44772_c.jpg

I think it's a little better. I also had to replace the gray doors (~$9 a pop :sick:) for the white ones (~$0.10 each).

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

Much better! I was in the middle of suggesting the same thing when my computer died. I like it much better this way. Out of curiosity, would you move both rear axles forward a stud or two, shortening the wheelbase, and upload an image? I'd be interested to see what it looks like with a school bus's @ss :classic:

It doesn't look too bad... I was going to suggest that you add more lights... especially on the side, but you are from Brazil and police vehicles, especially special response vehicles may look like what you designed. Also adding a few more lights on the front ... like a pair of fog lights / flood lights

good job overall.

Have you tried trying to get those doors from Lego Parts Replacement Service?

Much better! I was in the middle of suggesting the same thing when my computer died. I like it much better this way. Out of curiosity, would you move both rear axles forward a stud or two, shortening the wheelbase, and upload an image? I'd be interested to see what it looks like with a school bus's @ss :classic:

That's what I was thinking: shortening the wheel base, or maybe even eliminating the middle axle, since weight-wise there's no need for a double real axle.

It doesn't look too bad... I was going to suggest that you add more lights... especially on the side, but you are from Brazil and police vehicles, especially special response vehicles may look like what you designed. Also adding a few more lights on the front ... like a pair of fog lights / flood lights

good job overall.

Have you tried trying to get those doors from Lego Parts Replacement Service?

On the sides, do you mean flood lights or emergency lights? I also agree that more lights on the front would look good, but where?

Being in Brazil means I'm 100% dependent on BL for parts :sceptic:.

I like the updated wheels, and overall design, but what part is that in between them?

That's an inverted slope (#2341).

And about the doors. With the whole truck being black and dark blay, I think the doors should be some shade of gray. Any suggestions for what I could use instead of the white doors?

Interesting part and I could of used it plenty of times. Seems it's pretty common but I've never came across it before.

lego_slope__inverted_45_3_x_1_double_2341darkbluishgray.jpg

What about these for a door? or hinged just on the outside of the white door.

lego_bar_1_x_4_x_3_with_end_protrusions_62113black.png

All right, I got some work done. It was looking like this:

8676093201_39b94e5e30_c.jpg

But now it's looking like this:

8677199798_86667d01fc_c.jpg

8677199746_1ab8c485bb_c.jpg

8676093223_30559ffe5b_c.jpg

I tried eliminating the middle axle, but since I did a big cut on the wheel base, it looked better with a double rear axle. I also eliminated the roof hatch, so the access up there is by the rear (external) ladder, and I had to eliminate one seat inside but kept the cup boards for equipment. It has four seats in the back and three up front (driver, navigator and communication officer). I also added a bit of white to the emergency lights bar on the roof of the cabin, but I'm not sure if that is enough to keep the doors white. The whole roof comes off, so you have easy access to the interior.

However, looking at the before and after, I think I'll switch back to the curved slopes on the roof cabin :sceptic:. And now I see that I forgot to put the license plate on the rear bumper :blush:.

Well, unless I find a better solution for the doors, I think this is it:

8677327144_182fa50c5b_c.jpg

What do you think? If there's interest I plan on putting the LDD file for public use :classic:.

If you can't win them, join them. With no other option for the white doors, I tried to incorporate some white all around:

8678783750_6605e1e107_c.jpg

8677677031_12760d6106_c.jpg

I think I'm done here :classic:. I ran the model through LDDManager and everything is available, so now it's a matter of ordering the parts.

Since you shortened the whole truck you could drop the 3rd axle, and move the middle one back a stud, For the side doors, have you seen this one? It's black, but one comes swinging right. Or you could use this one... Also in black and one stud taller, but it would fit easily. Both a little pricey, but no where near $9/piece :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

Now I need to uninstall LDD, because if not I'll keep changing stuff... :angry: All right, final version, I promise:

8678539913_023cbd1763_c.jpg

8678539925_865276b46d_c.jpg

So gone is the GRU look, for a more SWATish feel. I wasn't very happy with the front, now it looks right. And one more place to put a dash of white

8679650350_965ece5c10_c.jpg

And here is what you see with the removable parts off. So I have seats for a total of six officers and three cabinets for gear.

Since you shortened the whole truck you could drop the 3rd axle, and move the middle one back a stud, For the side doors, have you seen this one? It's black, but one comes singing right. Or you could use this one... Also in black and one stud taller, but it would fit easily. Both a little pricey, but no where near $9/piece :classic:

That was the first door I tried out, but I felt it looked too tall. After all, it's not supposed to be a spacious RV, but something more pedestrian but practical. But with the white I managed to add, the white doors aren't looking so bad now.

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

Sorry had to fix the link, above, for the other black door. The interior looks nice and spacious. Are you starting to collect pieces to brick build? :classic:

You know, after thinking about it, I guess I like the white doors... :blush: I don't know, it seems that the white accents give some "movement" to the truck. I also plan on using some white-on-black POLICE stickers on it, so I'll just keep the white. I did a final check through LDDManager and everything I used is available through BL, so I already printed the list. This weekend I'll go through my parts bin to see what I already have, and as soon as possible I'll start ordering what I don't have. According to LDD it's at 397 parts, and of those, I think that I may have (hopefully) around 100 parts, so it shouldn't be to difficult to get all I need.

I intend to keep updating this thread according to what I'm able to build, and when it's done, if it does come out ok, I'll try to post the LDD file for d/l.

I'm finally done (really done this time :grin:):

8689223822_0b04280971_c.jpg

I found out what was bugging me: the wheels sticking out. I narrowed them under the chassis and now it doesn't look like a turtlemobile anymore. So now it's going through my parts' bin...

Yesterday I went through my parts bin and I have roughly half of what I need, but that just numbers' wise. I mostly have the "decorative elements", but lack the structural stuff - mainly bricks and plates. I have an Excel spreadsheet with all that I need and during this weekend I want to start ordering stuff from BL.

I'm really curious to see how long it will take to get the project done.