DanSto

[WIP] A playset for AFOLs on Dagobah

I am working on a playset on Dagobah aiming to include all major places seen into movie V.

The whole playset consists of 4 modules :

- a 32x32 Yoda's hut (back) with removable top tree (see below),

- a 64x32 dark side cave (left) with removable top trees,

- a 32x64 forest clearing (right) for the training of Luke,

- a 64x64 swamp with the crashed X-wing and the Dragon Snake. The foggy surface of the swamp can be removed and replaced by another without the hole for the X-wing for displaying the swamp before the crash or when the X-wing has been removed by Yoda up to the forest clearing of the right module.

A general view of the 96x96 playset with the crashed X-wing into the swamp, the regurgitated R2-D2 and the Dragon Snake into the swamp.

8650053236_460b0c79db_b.jpg

A close view of the swamp with the crashed X-wing (MOD of 9493).

8648957333_f6e60e6b83_b.jpg

Another view of the whole playset.

8650051486_bac7afb181_b.jpg

A view showing the Dark Side cave.

8650049746_70ae6998b0_b.jpg

Larger picture can be found into my Flickr Album.

The Yoda's Hut module is nearly completed :

8657685623_ce00d47806_h.jpg

The tree, the top and the entrance of the Hut can be removed for playability.

8658791474_7073f593ff_b.jpg

Close view of the Inside of the Hut with removed entrance showing the main room with the kitchen, the bedroom and the storeroom.

8658792586_62a8bfa46c_b.jpg

More pictures in my Flickr Album.

The other modules require some more work and will be shown when finished :blush: .

At this level of the WIP, I have one question concerning the use of green leaves for suggesting the fog on Dagobah floating on the swamp and on the ground.

I have shown this playset to some people who did understand it as everything being nearly covered by plants and do not recognize the fog.

For example, for the swamp, I do not represent the water but the green fog coming from the vapor of the swamp. Similarly, for the Dark Side cave and the forest clearing modules, the leaves are fixed on the floor by a neon green 1x1 round plates and are then floating on the floor (it is the same for the small swamp near Yoda' Hut).

So, what is your feeling about this point :yoda: ?

Perhaps trypputting a load of 1x1 trans lear plates on the studded parts of the green tree leaf fog bits to help blur the solid green colour a bit? Its a tough thing to achieve!

This is definitively an interesting possibility :thumbup: (you are not the only suggesting it). Well, I will have to open my Robie House box :sceptic: .

The green leaves look awesome, it is my favourite part of the model. I admit that I did interpret it as being swamp vegetation though.

Alternative suggestion - a layer of trans green plates with an irregular layer of trans clear plates on top.

great build

:classic:

This is looking really promising, I especially like the design of the tree roots :thumbup: Have you got any photos of the 'dark' cave :vader: I'd be interested to see how you did this!

To be honest, the water is a bit too green, although I appreciate that it's very difficult to build realistic water/swamps in Lego! Perhaps a mix of dark greys and blues might be better, especially if you add exposed roots etc to the edges?

Also, if you're looking to make it as accurate as possible, the other vegetation etc looks too green to me - if you look at images of Dagobah they're mainly dark browns & greys with very little green in them apart from traces of moss etc. Please don't take this as critism, as you've clearly put a lot of effort into it, and it's far better than I could do! :classic:

WOW! Even as a WIP, this is quite impressive! :wub: Love the look of those trees. As far as plants representing fog, I would try either gray or white round 2x2 plates attached to each other. As it is now, it just looks like the water is covered in vegetation (not that that's a bad thing).

Yoda's hut is very sweet; good job. The way you submerged the X-wing in the swamp is clever; that's a great idea. Maybe you could "freeform" the leaves in the swamp a little bit because they look too regular at the moment and the studs seem to make neat little rows.

I look forward to the evolution of this WIP. Keep at it, DanSto.

Wow. That's a really massive and detailed playset. Great job on the yoda's hut. Very cozy interior. :thumbup:

Impressive work :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like in particularly the idea of the crashed X-wing and the tree with Yoda's hut :wink:

This is really impressive. The overall detail is unreal!!! I would agree with the comments above about the water, but you'll figure it out, from the looks of it you know what you're doing! Great job man.

Im speechless! Yoda's hut is so cool I love it. And I really like how you made the X-wing in the swamp, Great MOC

Fantastic start to a very interesting project! Have you thought about using leave parts from Alt Bricks in white, grey or some other colours instead of the green ones for the foggy swamp surface? I think that would improve the build even more, but I don't know how you feel about those non-official parts. :wink:

After Yoda'Hut, I show you the DarkSide module :

8664310607_9c96604ce7_b.jpg

My source of inspiration was this well known image taken from a video game :

DarkSideCave-TFU2.jpg

The DarkSide cave comes from the evil Aura of a Sith who has been defeated on Dagobah : if you go into this cave, you will be confronted to your own Dark side counterpart. Luke's dark side counterpart appears to be Dark Vador.

To access to the cave, the trees and the top of the cave can be removed :

8664310409_9287584c71_b.jpg

8664309125_37aef3a2a8_b.jpg

Luke start his fight with "Dark Vador"

8664310037_ddd694c1ec_b.jpg

8664309647_1e1b43e42a_b.jpg

He kills "Dark Vador" but this correspond to a failure into his training.

8664309437_027cb9608e_b.jpg

All pictures can be seen into this Flickr album.

In order to give an idea of the fog, I have done a very small stop motion movie when Yoda and Luke go to the Cave : from one picture to the next, the leaves are moved to give the illusion of a moving fog (it was stormy weather on Dagobah) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AUS9ILXOos

Utterly fantastic, I would love one, Degobah is one of my favourite locations in the OT (with the Blue Ray recolouring)

Those are some big trees! :grin: I love it! There is just so much to look at. Everything about it just screams "Look and play with me!" :thumbup:

The forest clearing module (64x32 back)

This is the most simple module with a forest claering and a single tree.

But, it is an essential module for the playset because it is where you can freely play : in the other modules, the way you play is more directed whereas here you can more or less do what you want and imagine your own scenario.

8676564778_af4c1c7764_b.jpg

Following the movie, at this place, Luke is training for becoming a master jedi, he runs with Yoda on his back, exercices levitation, ... It is also where the X-wing will be put after Yoda has moved it out of the swamp.

8675459515_6974442a5d_b.jpg

To increase the depth of Dagobah's forest, the DarkSide module can be put behind this module.

8675459195_9e2d0b6b31_b.jpg

A general view of the 3 modules.

8675460057_f72da44518_b.jpg

Dagobah's forest is very particular because the trees are issue from the transformation of a spider into a tree. This is why there does not exist small trees, they are particularly thick and high and have leaves only at there highest section where there is the sun. This forest makes the landing particularly difficult (ask Luke) which explains why it has nearly never been explored.

My playset includes 7 of such huge trees in order to try to represent the gigantism of the forest.

Finally, in the same order of idea, I have done a small stop motion movie showing the vanishing of the fog, when the sun moves up and warms the forest clearing, by removing the green leaves suggesting the fog :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9XhTyqwA6w

Very well done! I love the detail in Yoda's house, the trees, the x-wing sinking, the modularity, ... In short I love it all!

The sunken X-wing, the characters and some accessories.

The sunken X-wing is based on the one of the 9493 set (only the wings and the back part have been conserved) and is "dirty" after having been removed from the swamp.

A godd washing is required before using it again.

8677656482_da2d20a511_b.jpg

For simulating the levitation by Yoda over the swamp and the ground of the frorest clearance, it is supported by 3 plants

8676550955_27d059e80f_b.jpg

8676551049_5bfc1cc13f_c.jpg

Larger and more pictures into this Flickr album.

A playset has to include all essential characters :

- Luke as pilot and as padawan,

- Yoda as master jedi (two versions),

- Dark Vador (with Luke's head),

- R2-D2,

- the Dragon Snake

and accessories like rocks and luggages.

8676533741_8dd6c6e1f5_c.jpg

Luke training the levitation of rocks with Yoda and R2-D2 on the Forest Clearance module.

8676533049_301ee46aa6_z.jpg

Luke, Yoda and Dark Vador for the Dark Side Cave Module.

8676533181_c61f30caf1_z.jpg

Another view of Luke training with Yoda on his back for the clearance module.

8677639374_b41cc53da3_z.jpg

Luke as pilot with R2-D2 (camera deployed) for the swamp module.

8676533457_704d518886_z.jpg

Dragon snake living into the swamp module.

8676533595_02d54ec9ca_z.jpg

Larger and more pictures into this Flickr Album.