Bonaparte

The French frigate L'Orient: Work in progress

The French frigate L'Orient: Work in progress

Two years ago, the British admiralty placed an order for the construction of a sixth-rate frigate with a U.S. based Swedish constructor. The ship was named HMS Excalibur. However, because of some political problems between the U.S. and the British government regarding slavery, the U.S. government has forbidden the delivery of the ship to the English. The constructor then approached the French ambassador to ask if the French Empire would be interested in buying the ship. Napoleon was very happy with this opportunity and accepted the offer. One of the most experienced French captains was appointed commander and send to the U.S. to assist in the completion of the Frigate that was renamed L'Orient.

gabriel_de_la_croix.jpg

Commander Gabriel de La Croix.

Upon his arrival in the U.S., the commander found the ship with its hull nearly completed and the masts and rigging under construction. This is the story of the completion of the French frigate L'Orient and of its commander Gabriel de La Croix.

Here are some pictures of L'Orient, still under construction:

orient-front-side.jpg

orient-back-side.jpg

In "Warship Excalibur under construction" you can read the story of the construction of the hull.

Looks like a very seaworthy vessel mr Bonaparte! I love it! I enjoyed the story also. The captain is a nice design. It appears there is no deck, may I ask why? I like the stern of this ship the best. Very nice ship Bonaparte! More pictures would be nice though...

Is there a BS folder?

Have a nice day,

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

Egad! What a horrible first post that thread has! Some Moderator needs to go and clean it up with thumbnail links right away :-D

Anyway Mr Tiber, did you mean this creation:

captains-front.jpg

Egad! What a horrible first post that thread has! Some Moderator needs to go and clean it up with thumbnail links right away :-D

The moderator is working on it! ;-)

Anyway Mr Tiber, did you mean this creation:

captains-front.jpg

No, I mean this one:

french_captain.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have just highlighted the importance of thumbnails folks!

So, has Bonaparte created the first physical version of this torso design?

Looks like a very seaworthy vessel mr Bonaparte! I love it! I enjoyed the story also. The captain is a nice design. It appears there is no deck, may I ask why? I like the stern of this ship the best. Tr

Nice.

I like the shape a lot. It is turning out quite nicely. Good story.

I used the same thing to introduce the Arbiter II. I think I shall continue the story to explain my renovations... I mean I did say they took the ship from a Piratical adversary, El Tortuga Oscura.

I also like the captain figure. Are any of your other crewman planning on having custom uniforms?

Nice.

I like the shape a lot. It is turning out quite nicely. Good story.

I used the same thing to introduce the Arbiter II. I think I shall continue the story to explain my renovations... I mean I did say they took the ship from a Piratical adversary, El Tortuga Oscura.

I also like the captain figure. Are any of your other crewman planning on having custom uniforms?

Thanks Z.

A good story is always important. I agree that you should continue the story you started with the Arbiter II.

I might use this uniform for the Lieutenants:

french_lt.jpg

It is also part of the The great pirate torso LIBRARY but I might do some redesign first.

What are the improvements:

- I have changed tohedesign so that it covers the entire torso. The original design didn't cover the sides of the torso entirely so you could see a color-difference. Took me 15 minutes to modify the design but 3 retries (and a lot of patience) before is fitted very smooth on a minifig :S.

- I changed the paper-epaulettes by real Lego epaulettes.

You've certainly done I got job of it! The coat looks nice and sturdy.

It appears you've changed the head though - are you using a Viking head?

No. He's using a King leo head from KKI. I think you should use the paint chipping thing you used on your hussar's beard for his crow's feet ;).

Nice looking vessel you have there! And in the correct navy! :-)

The bowsprit looks a bit short - it could probably do with another mast section (and maybe a jibboom as well?).

No. He's using a King leo head from KKI.

You're absolutely correct Mr Norrington! Here's King Leo next to the Viking I confused him for.

KnightsKingdom_King_Leo.jpgViking_king2.jpg

Still, I think the Viking head would work just as well should one ever become available.

Yes, I should and so should all Pirate Moderators :-D

Now, back to Mr Bonaparte's MOC...

The sails... What kind of sails will we be seeing? Official LEGO sails or customs?

Nice looking vessel you have there! And in the correct navy! :-)

The bowsprit looks a bit short - it could probably do with another mast section (and maybe a jibboom as well?).

I think you're right about the bowsprit. I'm still looking at some pictures of ships (real and Lego) including yours to see how the masts/bowsprit/sails/rigging should look.

The jibboom, is that a way to make the bowsprit longer? Is this at the end of the bowsprit? What was its purpose?

Here is a picture I found: 57401140.a5.jpg

The sails... What kind of sails will we be seeing? Official LEGO sails or customs?

The sails will be customs, but I have no idea yet on how to make them. I have to start looking for some paper or canvas.

Since this is my first MOC in a veeery long time and even my first sailing ship, I have to do a lot of experimenting. Probably it will all be much easier when I start my next ship :)

Maybe with the sails you could start on paper till you get a design you like and then complete the finish design on canvas.

Are you going to invent your own insignia/emblems for the sails, or will they just be plain or generic?

I think you're right about the bowsprit. I'm still looking at some pictures of ships (real and Lego) including yours to see how the masts/bowsprit/sails/rigging should look.

The jibboom, is that a way to make the bowsprit longer? Is this at the end of the bowsprit? What was its purpose?

Here is a picture I found: 57401140.a5.jpg

I believe it was made to support the jibsails, this Wikipedia Article might help you out. It doesn't say anything about it's purpose but it could be helpful.

The sails will be customs, but I have no idea yet on how to make them. I have to start looking for some paper or canvas.

Since this is my first MOC in a veeery long time and even my first sailing ship, I have to do a lot of experimenting. Probably it will all be much easier when I start my next ship :)

If your sail material is thin enough, may I suggest that you crimp the sail between two 1X(whatever) plates for mounting the sails onto the ship, rather than having holes in your sails. My Junk has paper sails with this method and the Xebec has fabric sails.

This ship looks really good so far. The only thing i don't like is that the red stripe is too high and may need to be lowered one brick or have the red stripe one plate lower in the center or something. In the center portion of the ship, the black on top of the stripe is only 1 brick high. Otherwise good job *y*

I love the custom figs! *y* Very high quality 8-o They almost like they were made by TLC.

The BS folder link to the L'Orient (i didn't see a link for it so i made one X-D ):

orient-back-side.jpg_thumb.jpg

Maybe with the sails you could start on paper till you get a design you like and then complete the finish design on canvas.

Are you going to invent your own insignia/emblems for the sails, or will they just be plain or generic?

Good idea Mr. Phes! Thanks!

I will first make all the sails in normal paper until I'm happy with the form and size.

I don't plan to have any insignia on the sails, since this was not typically done for this kind of ships.

If your sail material is thin enough, may I suggest that you crimp the sail between two 1X(whatever) plates for mounting the sails onto the ship, rather than having holes in your sails. My Junk has paper sails with this method and the Xebec has fabric sails.

This ship looks really good so far. The only thing i don't like is that the red stripe is too high and may need to be lowered one brick or have the red stripe one plate lower in the center or something. In the center portion of the ship, the black on top of the stripe is only 1 brick high. Otherwise good job *y*

I love the custom figs! *y* Very high quality 8-o They almost like they were made by TLC.

Thanks for all the suggestions Mr. P ;-)

I never noticed your Junk :-$, but I'm going there now to give you my feedback!

I don't plan to have any insignia on the sails, since this was not typically done for this kind of ships.

When you say "this kind of ship" exactly what do you mean by that?

When you say "this kind of ship" exactly what do you mean by that?
I believe it doesn't matter what type of ship it is to have decorated sails...

I don't recall ever seeing an image of a frigate from the period 1750-1815 with decorated sails.

Or maybe you guys have an example of such a ship?

I'm basing a lot of the design of L'Orient on the HMS Rose:

rose.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing an image of a frigate from the period 1750-1815 with decorated sails.

Or maybe you guys have an example of such a ship?

I'm basing a lot of the design of L'Orient on the HMS Rose:

rose.jpg

I thought you meant it depended on the type of ship (you know, frigate, galleon, sloop,brig) but you're right, the ships from that period usually didn't have decorated sails.