Sign in to follow this  
naf

Emerald Night compatible with old track?

Currently the only Lego train that I have is the 7722 Steam Cargo Train: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7722_Steam_Cargo_Train_Set

I'm thinking about picking up the Emerald Night set, but I'm wondering if this train will be compatible with the track the 7722 runs on? I already have a ton of this track available, including special pieces such as road crossings and switches. It'd be nice if I can run new trains on this track as well.

Thanks in advance!

90% chance it will be. Not entirely sure of the flange change, But I can say the tracks are all the same gauge. So the only issue may be with points as the EN has problems with them with any type Lego track.

So you can use the Emerald Night. Yes.

I just checked. Though I cant check with points. But Im sure it will be fine.

The old points from the blue and grey era are more tight than the later 9V era and RC points.

The old points from the blue and grey era are more tight than the later 9V era and RC points.

Yes I know that, I just dont know about flange clearance on the frog. Do you know if modern flanges clear 12V point frogs? I dont own any sadly to check myself.

My line is laid with nothing but 4.5volt and 12volt era track and I run all the different types of Lego wheels on it without any problems I run BBB wheels on it too and they go through the switches Ok as well.

I've been running my Emerald Night on 12v track all weekend - no problem through curves, points or crossovers (though I was running it with a few carriages so wasn't at full throttle) and it clears the power rail :-)

Things to look out for:

- the track does need to be perfectly flat, if you run any cables (remote points, signals etc) make sure they go between sleepers rather than underneath them

- the wire between battery box tender and the engine being too short causes derailments on corners, points etc

Edited by PeteM

Here you can see my EN running on a large 12V layout ...do you recognize the two PF led lights?

Nice! And the 12v track looks so 7777.

Looking at these photos I see one potential problem with the EN on 12v track, the EN is 9 or 10 studs wide and I believe 12v track is 8 studs center to center.

Looking at these photos I see one potential problem with the EN on 12v track, the EN is 9 or 10 studs wide and I believe 12v track is 8 studs center to center.

Yes Zephyr1934, you've got a point there. The EN runs fine on this track but the locomotive is wider than the track so two EN's can't pass each other on 12V track (or blue track).

My EN has got a bit of trouble with these smaller switches as well, it doesn't really run smooth through them.

Nice! And the 12v track looks so 7777.

Correct ...my EN must run always on an internal circuit away from the other convoys :tongue: