Hi Everyone,

This year I have started building with stud less design, having not built anything out of Lego for some 15 years.

I have just finished my first 4x4 Rock Crawler and thought I would share it with everyone. The first model that actually works well! haha.

It features a unique suspension system that allows the live axles to really flex (this probably has been done tho). The downside is the tow-balls pop out.

Please check it out on YouTube. Any advice, comments are much appreciated.

8644288747_0e7c854bc5_c.jpg

IMG_59282 by Doc_brown1, on Flickr

Nice Lego Technic rock crawler! :thumbup: I'm guessing that you did not use any Differentials in the drivetrain, since your MOC was able to climb some STEEP rocks with those 3rd-party tires. I like how you used those 98341 "Ring 4 x 4 with 2 x 2 Hole and 4 Arrow Ends (Ninjago Spinner Crown)" parts as wheel covers -- they make the Rock Crawler look wicked! Do you have any other photos showing the details of your MOC? I tried glancing at the underside during the "Bloopers" part of your video to see the gearing....

98341.jpg

This is great work, well done :sweet:

The model looks like it performs very well, and I have no suggestions for it. Battery box is low :thumbup: 4 wheel steering :thumbup: Big wheels :thumbup: XL Motors :thumbup: reasonably low to the ground :thumbup: etc etc, you've built it by the book so to speak :laugh:

The photos and video are all professionally done too (better than mine :grin:)

One thing I would like though, every Technic builders favourite picture, one of the underside :laugh: also some information on gearing?

Really awesome looking and perofrming machine. My only complaint is the fact, the XL motors are too low?

Wow! I really like color and the looks of it, it also climbs REALLY well!

I think the only thing you should change (IMO) is to make the suspension softer because it really shakes around a bit because the suspension is not soft enough.

otherwise it is really good! :wub: :thumbup:

Wow! I really like color and the looks of it, it also climbs REALLY well!

I think the only thing you should change (IMO) is to make the suspension softer because it really shakes around a bit because the suspension is not soft enough.

otherwise it is really good! :wub: :thumbup:

It shakes because it is too soft-it sways. If he made it softer it would sway too much to one side and fall over, like at the end of the video.

oh.. because i once made this one suspension with 8 7L beams and put a rubber band in the middle, i never really go to try it but i had a HUGE travel distance.

It shakes because it is too soft-it sways. If he made it softer it would sway too much to one side and fall over, like at the end of the video.

Thanks for the nice comments! I think its a little too soft, because it tends to roll a bit now, if fact I use lego rubber bands to keep it upright!

awesome, one of the best climbs I've seen-similar to ones by Marcelo Raus.

WOW, Thank you very much, he in fact inspired me a lot to build the rock crawler! :grin:

That is a awesome crawler, Like David said. I like the 98341 pieces used for the wheels, the whole body is well done.

Dan

Excellent! just watched the video. The body we very well done with some good details.

H

Welcome to the forum. Excellent intial entry. The suspension looks quite flexible. This must help out a lot with the open differentails. Really like the wheel caps and body.

v/r

Andy

Welcome to the forum. Excellent intial entry. The suspension looks quite flexible. This must help out a lot with the open differentails. Really like the wheel caps and body.

v/r

Andy

Thank you, I followed your link to extreme 4x4! love it!

As requested here are some detail pics I know you guys want. :laugh:

Also how do you post YouTube videos with a pic? I tried following the code as specified in "posting guildlines"

This is great work, well done :sweet:

The model looks like it performs very well, and I have no suggestions for it. Battery box is low :thumbup: 4 wheel steering :thumbup: Big wheels :thumbup: XL Motors :thumbup: reasonably low to the ground :thumbup: etc etc, you've built it by the book so to speak :laugh:

The photos and video are all professionally done too (better than mine :grin:)

One thing I would like though, every Technic builders favourite picture, one of the underside :laugh: also some information on gearing?

8646291715_380d6d2b86_c.jpg

LOL, its certainly looking a bit tired after its adventures!

8646296235_56751f98dd_c.jpg

IMG_5959 by Doc_brown1, on Flickr

IMG_5962 by Doc_brown1, on Flickr

You are going to want to go to the new 8t gears in your hubs they do make a lot of difference. The track width on that beast is considerable. This factor is most likely contributing to the strained pieces we are seeing in the second picture. The geometry of this suspension is "interesting". Again, those wheel caps are awesome.

To embed Youtube videos I just paste the link for the video into the post. I look at the preview post option before committing.

Extreme 4x4's episode this weekend was about a 1900 footpound mud buggy on 54 inch tires. It will be EPIC!!

You are going to want to go to the new 8t gears in your hubs they do make a lot of difference. The track width on that beast is considerable. This factor is most likely contributing to the strained pieces we are seeing in the second picture. The geometry of this suspension is "interesting". Again, those wheel caps are awesome.

To embed Youtube videos I just paste the link for the video into the post. I look at the preview post option before committing.

Extreme 4x4's episode this weekend was about a 1900 footpound mud buggy on 54 inch tires. It will be EPIC!!

Thanks I really loved how the wheels turned out too! :grin:

I don't know anything about these new 12T, is there a thread?

I was going to reinforce the axle more, but realized that more valuable 1x11 beams would get scratched the heck out of. But it does look a bit sorry now! haha But it held together ok.

Can't wait to watch Extreme 4x4's!