Freekysch

Your favorite middle-range Lego Technic set

8843, 8844, 8845 of the older ones

Then i also loved 8849, 8850, 8842, 8854 from a slightly newer generation

From the newer sets 8416, 8436, 8109

We also need to acknowledge that "midrange" pricepoint changed a lot over the years. Only reliable criteria would be that "midrange" sets are those with second (or third) largest piece count in that year. And even then, there are exceptions.

Example:

8455 had just over 700pieces but it cost 100euro, and is certainly the flagship of that year, even if 8438 has more pieces (but it cost just 80euro).

My Classification:

2003:

Flagship: 8455

Midrange: 8438, 8454

2004:

Flagship: 8436

Midrange: 8439ž

2005:

Flagship: 8421

Midrange: 8416

Flagship: 8285

Midrange: 8292, 8284, 8288

Flagship: 8275

Midrange: 8274, 8273

Flagship: 8297

Midrange: 8295, 8292

Flagship: 8258

Midrange: 8063, 8265, 8264

Flagship: 8043

Midrange: 8053, 8052, 8041

Flagship: 8110

Midrange: 8070, 8109, 8069

Flagship: 9398

Midrange: 9397, 9396, 9395

Flagship: 42009, 41999 (on very notable exception)

Midrange: 42008, 42000, 42006

Flagship: 42030

Midrange: 42025, 42024

As we can, multiple set could fall in to that category. Flagship coul (by definition) be only one per year, but in last few years we got new category, "1,5H flagship"

Real "midrange" sets are in my opinion sets which are in range 60-90euro (usd).

Just finished building 8052 - it's pretty damn good as well! Much better cab design than, say, 42008 and 42024. I also like the container tilting functionality.

Just finished building 8052 - it's pretty damn good as well!

Really? I thought it was mediocre at best. Yes - the container functionality is cool, but that's kind of the only functionality it has, and the switching does have a lot of friction for no apparent reason. Add to that the horrible alternative model and I just don't like it as much as most other sets of similar price point/piece count.

Does 8289 count as a mid-range model? 'Cause that was one I liked a lot. It had an unusual subject matter, the build was interesting and the functionality is decent. Also it has a certain charm to it, I think. also the alternative model is quite nice too.

dd5e895b01ff17fbf32455dd4bff4163.jpg

Yes, really. It was a fun build, looks good, and the tilting functionality is very clever. Could have done with a clutch gear though.

8273 is another cute little set! Quite a bit of functionality (tipping bed, tipping cab, HOG steering, crane slew, crane boom, crane jib, winch, pendular rear axles) in a nice, attractive package. Fun to build, too.

Edited by jantjeuh

I personally think the 8109 flatbed truck and 8069 backhoe loader are the best mid-range sets. Mostly because of there clever solutions and useful parts for beginners.( I was when I got these sets )

Finished 8416 - another rather excellent midrange set. It's very enjoyable to build, it looks good (the cabin especially has some nice angles going on), and it functions well. I like the big crank in the back, beats the usual boring 20z bevel gear! It's also bigger than I expected, which is always a plus.

brickpicker_set_8416-1_1.jpg

Edited by jantjeuh

From the pure studded models overall this is my favorite midrange set: 8854:

The picture below tells you why ;-)

Or let me cite Blackbirds Technopedia (http://www.technicopedia.com/8854.html):

"Set 8854, released in 1989, is one of the best examples of high function density: lots of functionality packed into a small package. This mid size mobile crane features rack and pinion steering, outriggers, a slewing turntable, pneumatics, a luffing and telescoping boom, and a cable hoist. This is the first Technic model to feature the metal hook. Despite its relatively small size, it is every bit as capable as the next couple of much larger cranes which would follow, and remains one of my favorite Technic models."

On top of this it contains an awesome b-model with articulated steering and a nifty pneumatic dumping mechanism which simultaneously open the hatch of the tipper when dumping.

And in addition the building experience of both models is quite good - i would not call it a real challenge but compared to the often boring and too easy builds of modern sets it is a very interesting build....

8854-1_1.jpg

Highly recommended for every collector and at least for all studded lovers...

Edited by Kumbbl

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old topic but i was wondering if any of you like 8264 ? Is it a middle set worth to get ?

8264.jpg

Edited by Jim
Added image

For me it's one of the few Construction sets I have never purchased. Has been on my wish list a while, for the yellow rims. But I failed to buy one. Maybe I will still buy it at some point.

Setwise, I don't think it's very special.

8464/8459/8439 - I think mine is 8439 though.....

two diffs, fake engine air tank and three pneumatic cylinders... studded and studless marriage in the right proportions except it has a large rear (which I have shortened on mine)

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old topic but i was wondering if any of you like 8264 ? Is it a middle set worth to get ?

8264 is a pretty poor set IMO, only get it for a hefty discount. Those yellow rims are nice to have, but that's all.

Edit: grrr, I'm parroting Ted again :laugh:

Edited by jantjeuh

8264 is a pretty poor set IMO, only get it for a hefty discount. Those yellows rims are nice to have, but that's all.

Couldn't say it better... One of the seldom bad sets

My favorite middle-range set is definitely the 8081, I think it looks realy good and it offers quite some black panels and suspension parts. Unfortunately it's quite rare since it was a "limited edition"

Edited by Nico van Duin

While it suffered from too many stickers, many of them STAMPs and questionable quality, I have special memories of 8440 Formula Flash. It was my first larger Technic set, and as a Ferrari supporter I was very happy with the red colour scheme. I saw it in the catalog (couldn't figure where the steering was), and a local supermarket had more Technic sets than the toy shops, including this set. After a while I forgot it, but was very happy this turned out to be my birthday present when I got 9. The steering system was a big surprise, and this was the set that teached me how a differential works.

Even without the childhood memories, I think this set is good in functions for its size (diff, V6, Flex steering) but also in terms of looks. The Flex looks realistic to me, the idea of using pneumatic tubes as exhausts is great and I think the shape is pretty accurate, better than 8445 and maybe even better than the 8880 alternate. As a Studded lover, in my opinion it's also better in looks than every studless car of course. :wink:

Edited by Richie

While I like quite few midrange sets, I remember the 8858 Rebel Wrecker most fondly. It looks so cool and tough. Back then it was the first Lego set to sport front suspension while not being a supercar flagship. I loved it for that alone and could stare at the images in the catalog of that for weeks until I got it for my birthday. And it had so much more features in such a small package, like the drive line crossing the steering axle with a cluth gear was cool. It also has one of my favorite B-models of a set.

Appie, agree with you. I never had 8858 Rebel Wrecker as a kid, but I still remember those pictures where model looked huge (comparying to System line). After all this time I finally got it, in very good shape. Build process is fun and enjoyable and final model is really good looking. It has quite interesting front suspension building idea to make sure it doesn't bounce, since front setup uses uneven stud width.