Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

The Golden One - C-3PO

Copied your post directly, huh? :-P I was actually gonna make a topic just like this, but thought against it. Great minds think alike :-D

Anyway, this whole thing just reeks of Willy Wonka to me. Apparently he runs TLG now. 5 Golden tickets. 5 Golden Droids. I am a COLLECTOR of Lego. Especially Star Wars lego. But I can't afford this. If they do charge me NOW for the MF I'm gonna have to cancel. I want that certificate, but I can't afford that now. And on top of that, the sets are all super expensive for next year, and now this?!

I'm sorry, I just can't keep up.

And on TOP of that...just...I can't even afford the BL prices for this. I can't afford the prices for the C3PO. I want one of the chrome ones, but I doubt I'll even get that. The solid gold ones? Expect to pay upwards of $5000US for one of those babies on BL. Of course I may be severely underestimating the price :-|

And to end, a quote from Family Guy

You know what really Grinds my Gears? When I can't find the droids I'm looking for

a dont get this so you mean there will be 1000 droids in just any random set?

Yes, in the new 2007 SW sets, 10000 (not 1000 thank god) Chrome gold C3PO will be placed in the boxes.

Yes, in the new 2007 SW sets, 10000 (not 1000 thank god) Chrome gold C3PO will be placed in the boxes.

so are they already in them! 8-

Anyway, this whole thing just reeks of Willy Wonka to me. Apparently he runs TLG now. 5 Golden tickets. 5 Golden Droids. I am a COLLECTOR of Lego. Especially Star Wars lego. But I can't afford this. If they do charge me NOW for the MF I'm gonna have to cancel. I want that certificate, but I can't afford that now. And on top of that, the sets are all super expensive for next year, and now this?!

The 14k gold droids will be given away as contest prizes on lego.com. We don't know how yet, or even if people outside the US will be allowed to enter. So the 14k Gold droids are not like Willy Wonka tickets at all.

The 10,000 gold coated 3POs though are a different story...

Hmm... While I totally agree with copmike, I don't think there's going to be many problems is there's a grand total of 10,000 sets with a chrome paint C3PO. There would have been a massive problem if they only had 1,000, but with 10,000, I think there's a slim, but existant chance that you'lll be able to get one. Especially if you're one of the first! Afterall, the price tag is unnaturally expensive, so that alone will bar the majority of people from buying bulk. Unless they pull a Swanberg, that is! :-D

But all joking aside, I think there's a fairly good chance you'll get it copmike! Just be sure to sleep outside your local Toys R Us the night before it hits the stores. ;-)

Yeah 10,000 in all different SW 07 sets, i have to agree with others that im not a fan of this sorta thing.

One word: STUPID

I'd love a gold C3PO, but this is plain silly.

As if the price for the new 5195 bricks huge millenium falcon isn't enough to make one seasick :-X

KimT

I doubt any Falcons will include a metalised 3PO, as it's pretty clear these are going into retail boxes.

I was speaking to *yoda* earlier and he raised a good point, he wondered how many we in europe would get compaired to the US?

As we in europe usually seem to get screwed by lego in most things :-(

Lets see:

How many members of EB will manage to find one in a set?

How many members of EB will manage to find one in a set but their camera is broken?

-l2k-

Lets see:

How many members of EB will manage to find one in a set?

How many members of EB will manage to find one in a set but their camera is broken?

-l2k-

qucksilver111 (4:10:05 AM): think any EBers will find one?

Starwars26J (4:12:14 AM): probably one or two

Starwars26J (4:12:29 AM): and then another few who will have found it, but "their camera is broken"

qucksilver111 (4:13:22 AM): heh

I see you've moved on to higher forms of thievery ;-)

Their does seem to be alot of that about these days im sorry to say:-/

Well i hope that someone who does post here finds one and lets hope their camera isnt broken, then again saying that weve already got some great pics of the fig so it dosent really matter.

People are going to start ripping open boxes in the store to look for these gold figures. I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of opened boxes in stores. That's my only problem with this.

UNGH. I hate all this blind-packaging business. Now I totally agree with copmike. I mean, if this was like the mask packs, that would be okay, considering the low cost of those packs. But blind packing them into sets? That is going to be one expensive endevour to try and find one of those. It just simply isn't worth it. *sad*

As we in europe usually seem to get screwed by lego in most things

True, true. Especially since a split down the middle seems really unlikely. I just hope they don't get the idea that "All Star Wars fans are in North America", and deprive all of you of these sets. And the entire world, for that matter! Guess it's time to find a good custom vacuum chromer. :-(

People are going to start ripping open boxes in the store to look for these gold figures. I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of opened boxes in stores. That's my only problem with this.

I sincerely hope that box mutilation will not increase. Back when they introduced those light-out figs, I saw a record number of missing Darth Vaders (and his lightsaber) from the Tie Fighter at all retailers. It would truly a sad state of humanity, should rabbid/extremist collectors and Ebayers be driven to this level.

Yeah when those light up figs came out my TRU had loads of boxes ripped open and it was really hard to find one that hadnt had either a jedi or clone stolen from it.

Well if it happens again then TLC have only themselves to blame. :-/

Ooh, I hope I get one of these, it's like the cereal box toys "A Surprise in every (In this case most) Box!!!!!!"

This is awsome, this means you don't have to spend to much money on say like a more expensive set to get the droid, if you could get it with a smaller costing set.

Ooh, I hope I get one of these, it's like the cereal box toys "A Surprise in every (In this case most) Box!!!!!!"

This is awsome, this means you don't have to spend to much money on say like a more expensive set to get the droid, if you could get it with a smaller costing set.

Yes, or you could (like most people) buy the entire new lineup and not get it at all :-P

Wow. I think this is a brilliant marketing 'scheme'. It

As an aside - there's been concerns about LEGO's financial situation. I really hope this is all marketted well to recapture interest in LEGO. I'm assuming that's the whole point.