11 hours ago, amorti said:

stm3-02.jpg

You can put a 24t gear inside one of these, but only if you do so before you clip it together...

these old turntables can be pried apart with a thin blunt knife as a lever quite easily but yes this is correct.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:24 PM, pleegwat said:

He did state it looks the same from the other side.

It's also possible the pins are not full pins, but half pins. In that case the 6x1 beams would barely be kept in place and easily pulled out.

EDIT: Yup, that can definitely be assembled. And is tricky to pull apart, because the stud side has a better friction lock than the pin side.

Yes, I did it with one half pin.  Most people have quite a hard time disassembling it, but correct, the spot where the half pin is used is the weak spot to start it.

It cannot be seen or felt.  But if you try to turn it with a finger nail, the half pin will not be turnable because its stud had the mentioned friction.

There are variants where only one vertical brick pair is used in the middle and two sets of plates are used on both sides of it.  There it's even harder to take apart.  The two examples I've built I cannot take apart anymore (without tools).

On 4/11/2013 at 3:39 AM, Boxerlego said:

A LEGO that once you put it together you can never take apart.

r100_3225.jpg

Never have any bother removing 2L axles even when push fully in. I use an old screw driver with the tip gound to a fine needle point.
Insert point into the gap along the 2L pin and lever out enough for needle nose pliers to grip and then remove the axle. THis does not harm the axle.

Edited by Doug72

2 hours ago, a1i2d3e4n5 said:

59f5uk.jpgheres one

But that's not only impossible to take apart, it's impossible to build it.

I've long wanted to try and build a full RC car in which NOTHING can be taken apart. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I'll have to get experience with using digital Lego programs first.

16 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I've long wanted to try and build a full RC car in which NOTHING can be taken apart. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I'll have to get experience with using digital Lego programs first.

Perhaps you can take some inspiration from set 8458 "silver champion"... Last year I had a need for its wishbone arms, but I found it nearly impossible to take apart the vehicle due to it being circularly form-locked somehow... *huh*

1000x800p.jpg

I have tiny drill bit and tiny screws for impossible axles. Recently got a small pair of forceps.

5 hours ago, astyanax said:

Apparently the new AT-AT (75313) will be impossible to disassemble completely, due to a classic Technic frame mistake like in the original post.

See analysis here: https://brickset.com/article/67650/lego-is-now-designing-sets-that-can-t-be-taken-apart

ah, sometimes it would be a good point to also have a look at other "friendly" themes here on EB...Anyway, worst would be to put it here on the title page

Well, it is not that dramatic...yes, it is not possible to do it without a sharp object, but it is perfectly doable without hurting the pieces. There is enough play to get the head of the stop axle out enough in order to reach beneath it with a tip of a knife...I just tried and succeeded with no effort at all. Will be interesting to see how will they try to solve this or explain it...

1 hour ago, Mr Ogel said:

ah, sometimes it would be a good point to also have a look at other "friendly" themes here on EB...Anyway, worst would be to put it here on the title page

Indeed I omitted to look in other forums (fora?), and agree this thread is not the place to discuss the ensuing "drama" or possible fixes. Still I believe it is right to catalogue here a perfect instance -- in an official Lego set -- of the issue that started this very thread. :pir-blush:

1 hour ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Well, it is not that dramatic...yes, it is not possible to do it without a sharp object, but it is perfectly doable without hurting the pieces. There is enough play to get the head of the stop axle out enough in order to reach beneath it with a tip of a knife...I just tried and succeeded with no effort at all. Will be interesting to see how will they try to solve this or explain it...

My thoughts exactly. This kind of thing is (barely) disassembleable only because an axle with stop is used.

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Will be interesting to see how will they try to solve this or explain it...

As usual, it will be intentional, just like the intentionally incorrect gear sequence in the GT3RS :tongue: 

I'm pretty sure you can just leave the green connector out without affecting really stability that much. It seems to only exist to keep the turntable in place. But like you said, it's not that difficult to remove it with some proper tools. 

Edited by LvdH

Yeah, a sharp needle in the slot of the green piece will get it moving. No Biggie for us, but an error non the less when Lego is meant to be dissemble able and other solutions are possible.

16 hours ago, astyanax said:

Indeed I omitted to look in other forums (fora?), and agree this thread is not the place to discuss the ensuing "drama" or possible fixes. Still I believe it is right to catalogue here a perfect instance -- in an official Lego set -- of the issue that started this very thread. :pir-blush:

I fully agree

In practice the ATAT axle assembly can be wiggled back and forth until a fingernail can fit under the axle stop. But still, it's poor form by TLG!

After reading this topic my interest in these things has been rekindled. I don't know if this has been written here before, but I thought of this one:

400x300.jpg400x300.jpg

If you could build this Penrose triangle:

800x450.png

you can build a strong triangular wall:

800x450.png

Edited by Didumos69

9 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

you can build a strong triangular wall:

:laugh_hard:

If I'm not mistaken, even making a single node in the wall (connecting 6 beams with 6 blue 3L pins) is impossible...

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

:laugh_hard:

If I'm not mistaken, even making a single node in the wall (connecting 6 beams with 6 blue 3L pins) is impossible...

Alright, let's fix that.

800x450.png

800x450.png

On 6/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, a1i2d3e4n5 said:

59f5uk.jpgheres one

With the new 3L pin introduced in the Darth Vader Meditation Chamber this is now kind of possible. Might be able to fool people who don't know that part exists tho lol

Edited by Gray Gear