Sign in to follow this  
JJLKewL69

MOD LEGO City Toys R'Us Truck (7848) with LEDS and IR remote

Hi

Here's my new project!

I've add leds to a city model with IR remote control.

Here's are the result:

Look on

Some pictures:

legoir1%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir2%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir3%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir9%20(Mobile).jpg

Modifications:

I've replaced the front of the trailler with some bricks and a technic 1x2 brick to let the wires go thru. All wire from the cab to the trailler pass in a LEGO pneumatic hose.

legoir4%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir5%20(Mobile).jpg

I've made a custom PCB to decode the IR remote and the signal flasher. The PCB is the same size as a 2x4 plate. I've glued the PCB on 2 1x2 tile to make it LEGO compatible.

legoir6%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir7%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir8%20(Mobile).jpg

The wires are magnet wire 38 "gage" about 0.00397" (0.101mm). They are green on the pictures.

legoir10%20(Mobile).jpg

legoir11%20(Mobile).jpg

No LEGO parts have been cut, drill or modified. Everything is STOCK.

legoir12%20(Mobile).jpg

Thank you for you GOOD comments!

Edited by JJLKewL69

Very nice work JJLKewL69! How did you get the headlight and turn signal to operate independently with little to no color interference? :classic:

Great work on the lighting. The lighting definitely makes the Toys R'Us truck look more realistic and has a really nice effect too.

Very nice work JJLKewL69! How did you get the headlight and turn signal to operate independently with little to no color interference? :classic:

there is 2 leds one behind the headlight and on on the side behind the signal flasher

You should put an electronic parts set together for sale.. I know I would buy a few to light my trucks!!

Great work!

I would like to but there is a lot of R&D involve and I have not enough money and time. But I'm still thinking about it!

Very cool! That wire is so thin, it looks like hair.

Joe

the wire are about the tickness of paper sheet. 0.003" thick

Really nice way to bling out that nice looking Rig. Well done!

You should put an electronic parts set together for sale.. I know I would buy a few to light my trucks!!

Great work!

Seconded!

Hmmm! Really interesting! I had plans for lighting my vehicles but I didn't want to modify parts for this.

I didn't know such thin cables exists! That's good to see your work!

What kind of LED did you use (it has to be really small to enter into a 1x1 round plante)? And I guess such thin cables involves low current?

It would be really nice if you could tell us all your secrets!!!! ^^ Thanks a lot!

I just now realized that you did not modify LEGO for this (apart from the 2x4 tile :wink:). Can you give advice how to build something like this / where to get the parts? I realize that the PCB is the difficult part, but I'd love to use the electronics, you used even without a PCB (e.g. for enlighting the Winter Village)

Hmmm! Really interesting! I had plans for lighting my vehicles but I didn't want to modify parts for this.

I didn't know such thin cables exists! That's good to see your work!

What kind of LED did you use (it has to be really small to enter into a 1x1 round plante)? And I guess such thin cables involves low current?

It would be really nice if you could tell us all your secrets!!!! ^^ Thanks a lot!

I just now realized that you did not modify LEGO for this (apart from the 2x4 tile :wink:). Can you give advice how to build something like this / where to get the parts? I realize that the PCB is the difficult part, but I'd love to use the electronics, you used even without a PCB (e.g. for enlighting the Winter Village)

Thank you for your comments!

The leds are smd 0805 (2012 metric): 2.0 mm × 1.25 mm (0.079 in × 0.049 in)

the current of the leds is about 20ma max

The only things you need to built a simple lighting system is:

38 gages magnet wire (i bought it from ebay)

0805 smd white leds (ebay) (white led = 3.4v so at 3v its ok! other color don't have the same voltage so you will need resistors)

you need a 3v source (2x AA size battery)

How much did the electronics cost to put it together? Roughly if you don't want to give me exact $

For this project only, the cost is under 10$ in parts but you need to buy minimum qty of each item so you need to spend more $$$

for man/hours.... $$$$$$ it take alot of time.

equipment... $$$$$ oscilloscope, development board (for microcontroller), soldering iron, laminator(for pcb), tools, ect...

so if you start from nothing and you want to build a project like this you'll have to spend... 500$ and over ;)