Sign in to follow this  
JINZONINGEN73

Toyfair 2007 Bionicle Set Images

Hmm, interesting!

While I harbour very visible grudges against the plot, these sets are interesting! The medium sized sets are quite the strongest of the pack. The Sharkticon, dog and this behemoth come out swinging, winning me over! The designs are stellar as always, living up to a long history of great large sets that they've made over the years. Truly remarkable! I have no more to say! These sets are fantastic!

I'm never a big fan of minifig sets, and with all this submarine stuff, it's far too outlandish for me. Hence, no opinion there.

As for the Toa Mahiri (Or whatever they are named), I can't say I would name them anything else other than "abominations". There are some really good parts, but for the most part, they come across as rushed and cobbled together. Nuparu (That IS him, right?) has a pretty decent shield, and the blades on Hahili and Neo-Reidak's arms are absolutely amazing. Oh how I wish they came with a set for each pair of hands! However, that is as far as I shall come to praising these. Chain-guns are a definate no-no in my book, and while these designs are "unique", they seem nearly completely irrelevant in terms of roles. Kongu has double chainguns and a tremendous lacking of close-range weapons. He's supposed to be manouverable, isn't he? Well, guess heavy weaponry is his suit now. Hahili, Toa of WATER, has wings. Yes, I know this is underwater, but shouldn't she get something more relevant? Like, flippers, perhaps? And as for Matoro, there are so many things wrong with him that I can't even begin to describe. He has lopsided arms (To compensate for Chaingun), claws that look strangely like the Visorak pincsers, and a horrible leg structure. The "masks" (are they still considered masks?) all look like blatent rehashes of Vakama and Whenua Metru's masks, only with certain changes here and there. The only ones I remotely like thus far are Hahili's and Jala's, considering their slight degree of creativity in their designs. And their height! Compared to the Barraki, these guys are MONSTERS! I mean sure, Pridak is written as scary, but if I just saw any of these Toa, I would instantly suffer a cardiac arrest.

On the other hand, I love the shoulder pieces and all those pipes on these guys. Great MOCing potential. Their placing on the figures are also pretty good as well, giving these Toa at least a single strong point in my eyes. And as Jinz has mentioned above, this is truly a welcome return of good, old fashioned plastic masks! After the previous sets, it looked like rubber was the future, but alas, LEGO went back and rectified this problem! Despite all my complaints, the fact that the masks are back in plastic fills me with joy! And as I said previously, those claws and shield are definate highlights.

Okay, I know. Yet another scathing critisism from a "purist". But try to understand where I'm coming from. I love the sets. And I'm trying to love these canister sets. I really am. But I can't really find even a small connection in which it clicks for me! There's just so many things that don't look right, considering these are supposed to be the heroes of the series. At least the Inika looked heroic. But these, not so much.

On the other hand, if these were marketed as villians, I'd praise them up and down. These guys look downright menacing. They look like they would fill you full of plastic ammo, then eat you raw. That's what I get from these. Creeps from the deep? That line definately applies to these guys.

However, given everything I've said, I'll change my judgement later, I'm sure. ASMzine still hasn't uploaded their pics, but when they do, I'll make my call.

(The last picture appears to just be guys dressed in Star Wars costumes...?)

Gadunka and Hahli are on my list, for sure.

True, I might just want her for primarily for that partially trans mask, and Gadunka for HIS mask, but the extra doodads aren't that unenjoyable either. For the sake of mocing symmetry, it'll probably be two of each of these sets and that'll be it for my Lego budget a good while.

Man... every time I see toy convention pics, and I mean ANY toy convention pics, it's always funny to see how the people setting up the displays mess up poses and even the assembly of action figures lol.

Mahri-

Eww, if I was a MOCist I don't think I'd buy any of these. They're lopsided and strangely colored, and the bulky tubes don't do much for their appearance.

------------------------------------------------

Titans-

I had some hope for these when I saw the first pictures on Brickshelf, it's gone.

Hydraxon- This basically looks like a bolstered version of the Mahri, I wouldn't expect his to go for more than fifteen dollars, though apparently it's twenty.

Max & Spi - Max makes me cry, I was hoping for gun metal, not bley. Spi doesn't appear that great either due to the randomly green-tipped spines.

Gadunka - A large ugly blob of blue pieces.

----------------------------------------------------

I've lost my respect for the designers of these sets entirely.

HALLELUJAH!Rod masks return!

And darnit.The fig Barraki are just recolored Piraka.Bad move,Lego,bad move.

But that orange/red/white jellyfish looks funny.And i'm loving the Toa Terrain Crawler and the fishies that come with it.

Max & Spi - Max makes me cry, I was hoping for gun metal, not bley.

I sympathize with ya' there, Shine.

Gun metal was soooo cool. It worked with black and dark bley.

I was hoping there'd be a heavy return of it somewhere.

Pity. :-(

Apart from the majority of the masks, the Mahri look awful, especially since they are basically Inika anyway.

Now, the Titans. Only Maxilos and Spinax look worth buying. Gadunka is like a childs moc, and Hydraxon isn't anything new.

Bleh.

Im probally the only one who likes these sets, If they get better Lego will be the most popular toy in the world.The Mahri Rock with Jaller you get a mini Pewku, the titans rule im definatly gonna get them and the playsets I did'nt see much of but that i'll get back on later.

Comments about DECENT pics, at last.

TOA MAHRI

Hahli: veeery nice colours. Sadly, that isn't a good colour combo for a Toa of Water! I can see her as an alternative Toa Inika Hahli, with the lime replaced by trans blue. Cool mask and wings.

Hewkii (to quote KMOI "Neo Reidak"): TERRIBLE as a Toa, cool as a set. Except the mask, which sucks, he looks like a nice figure.

Jaller (Jala? ;-) ): not bad. pretty good mask, neat sword, decent colours (although Inika Jaller's ones own over these). Crab is the best part of the whole set, no doubt. He's just.... *wub*

Kongu: terrible. The colours are simply unacceptable. Really, the only good things here are the dark green pieces and the dark bley Metru lower legs. Every thing else... :-X

Matoro: hits and misses here. Lovely mask from what I can see. Trans pieces are always a welcome. The claws are excellent pieces for a scythe. Lastly, the shoulder pieces look good. However, good parts used in an overall bad design: the hunchness should belong to Onua, not to a Toa of Ice! Stupid Metru arms as lower arms AGAIN, as seen on Mantax, are no-no, the use of the Toa Olda/Nuva feet looks wrong, same for the Inika shoulder pads. However, I could apply the same thinking I did to "Hewkii", and say that he could be a really nice villain...

Nuparu: really cool shield, nice mask, and I'm glad that they made black Zaktan/Thok/Avak feet. Everything else is no interest for me, not even the design. Not even good for a villain this time. And stop using the Piraka lower arms in inappropriate ways (i.e: Takadox's lower arms Nuparu's lower legs), Lego.

Blaster thing: no comments here. Maybe it could be nice on the playsets, but on the figures, no!

TITANS

I'm softer here, as always.

Gadunka: a big blue frog, with giant theet and well done claws! Good job Lego!

Hydraxon: kinda realistic hands, cool mask, nice weapons, and a classic colour scheme that always works. Throw away the blaster and he's a great set.

Maxilo & Spinax: not many pics of them, From what I can see I'm not too excited about them. The grey here is...eww. Spinax is nice. I'll judge this duo better when new pics will pop up.

PLAYSETS

Toa Undersea Attack: not a bad submarine. Doesn't interest me anyway.

Deep Sea Patrol: pretty good, I guess.

Toa Terrain Crawler: this thing really looks amazing. Definitely looks huge. The two weird creatures have old Barraki pieces in new colours. The jellyfish is simple, but really creative IMO.

The minifigs are..well, not creative, really. Piraka and Inika recolours. Hewkii and Zaktan are intact. Maybe they'll change?

Let me say that there are some changes from the "leaked" pics. I take as example Toa Terrain Crawler. Its eyes are red, at Toy fair they're blue. The black guy with gold armour has an head that looks like kinda Mantax's. Some minifigs scattered through the other sets are different. There are minor differences.

Final note: THROW AWAY THE RED 2 AXLES LEGO. THROW AWAY THEM OR I'LL DESTROY YOU.

Shakar

Poor miniature for some crappy game...:

HFZ001.jpg

Toa Mahri ^^^^^^^^^^

See the similarity? Yup.

In short, these guys make the Toa Inika look good. They appear to have realised that the Inika looked like some kind of mutated cross between frogs and aliens, so dropped the frog part and went entirely for alien.

Basically, I just wish Lego would make Toa that looked like Toa, not like mutated monsters. The giant plastic weapons are cheesy and the chainguns are despicable. It is extremely hard for me to come up with praise for these guys.

Damn, i was just gonna post this, ah well, matoro looks cool but i'm gonna examine them more closely right now.

Well after examing them more closely i have to say i like kongu and matoro alot, hewkii's "mask" seems odd, but i like odd! I have to say i really like the blue one (prolly hahli though the signs seem to have got muddled up)

All in all, i'm glad thse are proto types, because there are many things that i am not that kean on, but some of those titans look awsome, espacially the blue one.

my poor piggy bank! Diecast model cars, more "cars" models coming out, barraki finnaly here and now this! It's gonna be an expensive year!

EEEW!!!!!!!

Nocturn: around $15

Kalmah: just below

The knowledge that the heroes make the villains look heroic: Priceless.

You know the rest.

Stick arms, ammo covering them, horrid masks [Hewkii is soo beautiful as an Inika], overlarge guns, gross coloring, the fact that Nuparu and Matoro both have silver masks, overwide shoulders, stringy pipes [pull on thise and Matoro drowns] and the fact that they, unlike what Helden Ravensdorn said, look like frogs on steroids that cause you to turn into ugly frogs.

Tagline for the Mahri : We make Makuta fish look hot.

ASM has posted their photos from the "collector's sneak peek"! They're located here:

http://www.asmzine.com/toyfair07/companies/lego/

They have alot of extremely high quality pics, but easy to load.

Man... every time I see toy convention pics, and I mean ANY toy convention pics, it's always funny to see how the people setting up the displays mess up poses and even the assembly of action figures lol.

:-D Too true, my friend! Shame the Bionicle poses aren't exactly gratifying in any manner. The other LEGO sets however, are definately photo-worthy! (Kit Fisto = AWESOMENESS) I do lament the lack of Avatar though. :'-(

As for my thoughts on the Mahri, I'm with hewkii9. They just look awful. I think I'll stay to my original opinion that I said before. Anyways, does anyone notice a certain resemblance between Kongu and a certain Hulk Megamorph?

71406aox0.jpg

Hahli Mahri is quite cool. So is Jaller. Kongu has a nice mask and cool armor. I love Naparu! I totally hate Hewkii and Matoro. Okay, I take that back. I only hate Hewkii, but barley. I used to hate him extemely badly, but he's okay now. Matoro looks like a big headed small bodied monster. Same goes for Gadunka. But Gadunka actually looks quite good from different veiws. Nice blue parts! I don't care about Maxillos and Spinax being bley now, they still are awesome! I might get him. Hydraxon looks cool too. Nice design. Anyomne notice the Toa Metru eyepeice behind Matoro's head?

The playsets look alright. I'm sure they will get new figs later.

OVERALL: Okay. I'll probably get at least 1 or 2 of them.

-ZotS

Eww indeed, but how many times has this happened before? Happened with the barraki, piraka and inika, everyone thought they were horrible when the proto pics came out, but everyone's tune soon changed when the proper sets were realised.

Are you sure the toa don't turn evil? :-P Ah well, not expecting these as final sets, not afraid to say i'd be a tad dissapointed if they were the final sets. :'-(

Generally, those who hated the Inika from the start still hate the Inika. Same with the others.

Regarding the playsets:

Lego didn't make the figures yet, so they are using the Inika and Piraka minfigs in their place for the prototype images.
BTW, seems like BZP allows only its pics...

Shakar

BTW, seems like BZP allows only its pics...

I've been jumping between here on EB, In_the_Bricks, and FBTB all morning... then I went to BZ to see what they had.

A press release? *wacko*.

Wasn't anyone from there covering toyfair, digicam in hand?

Oh, and white Takadox mask FTW.

http://www.asmzine.com/toyfair07/gallery/L...s/IMG_6500.html

As parts, alot of these sets are quite cool.

What the hell they're so ugly!

Its official. Our Toa-Heroes are now...degenerates. *n* And Hookers, litterally.

Hahli's the best looking one...

And they all have firing chainguns....that's...so...unbionicle...

Take a look at these images.-

I'm glad you posted that.

lol... I had a sinking feeling that the silver/green spines were intentional.

Here's to hoping they're not.

::raises champagne glass::

And dear sweet lord, I do hope those are all a bunch of those newer all-the-way-through axle balls on Gadunka.

I want 2 of him, if not 4.

>__<

And a second raise of the glass, hoping the gunmetal stays in.

...or maybe I just like champagne.

Poor miniature for some crappy game...:

HFZ001.jpg

Toa Mahri ^^^^^^^^^^

See the similarity? Yup.

In short, these guys make the Toa Inika look good. They appear to have realised that the Inika looked like some kind of mutated cross between frogs and aliens, so dropped the frog part and went entirely for alien.

Basically, I just wish Lego would make Toa that looked like Toa, not like mutated monsters. The giant plastic weapons are cheesy and the chainguns are despicable. It is extremely hard for me to come up with praise for these guys.

Wait... what are Toa supposed to look like?

Exactly. Your version of Toa might be completely different from someone else's.

I'm glad I wasn't planning on buying any of this years sets to sacrifice for better SW sets and EF sets.... some are horrible! Hahli Mahri is quite cool. So is Jaller. Kongu has a nice mask and cool armor. I love Naparu! I totally hate Hewkii and Matoro. Okay, I take that back. I only hate Hewkii. Hewkii has a horrible color, and its bad just looking at him. Matoro looks like a big headed small bodied monster. Same goes for Gadunka. Hate him! With all those holes, and that huge peice of crap, I wonder who is going to buy him? I don't care about Maxillos and Spinax being bley now, they still are awesome! I might get him. Hydraxon looks cool too. Nice design. Anyomne notice the Toa Metru eyepeice behind Matoro's head?

The playsets look alright. I'm sure they will get new figs later.

EDIT: I see now, Gadunka actually looks quite good from different veiws. I take back what i said. nice blue peices!

-ZotS

Glad you changed your mind. Gadunka is probably not built correctly in these pictures, anyway.

Generally, those who hated the Inika from the start still hate the Inika. Same with the others.

Lie.

Am I the only one who likes these "abomanations"???

Jaller and Hahli are amazing. Period. I agree with you.

I'm a little disappointed with Kongu's lack of weapon, but Naparu looks just as I expected him to. I really like Kongu, too. Is that so wrong?

Anyways, these guys will be "Dark Toa" in my book. Facades of Toa, mostly because they look too badass to be nice, and they have the Toa stature. MOVING ON!