Shadows

Ameribricks: Shocking News Here

I honestly think Shadows is a jerk. Just because you find it funny to wind people up and irritate them, you feel they *deserve it*?!!? You do realise, you are basically acting exactly like bully, proven by your apparant impression that people deserved to be distraught/irritated.

Yes, At first I fell for it. Then I realised it was April Fools DAY so was like 'ahhh dangit they got me!! Good one!'<--- funny part, I felt dumb for not getting it then.

Then it went on. April Fools jokes happen funnily enough, on April Fools day. once the day is gone, jokes stop and it's back to normal.

I wasn't certain at all, for some reason (common sense eluded me) but that does NOT mean you have the right to treat people like crap. Realising people were getting distraught over it yet feeling they DESERVED it, these people who come to the site because of how well it is managed, suddenly released to a bunch of selfish people who like to laugh at others getting irritated?

You do realise, you are now no better than those typical internet trolls who like to make pointless threats at others who then for some reason, all rationality goes out the window and are actually scared?

Taking this too far am I?

I don't think so, I think you stepped the line once the joke day was done and are acting like a selfish immature brat who feeds off other peoples hurt; people who come to this site for its good reputation and apparent good character, as proven in your statements in this thread.

I can take jokes, I can take looking a fool and can accept people laughing at me for being slow on the uptake, what I don't like are people who brag about how right they are to disrespect other peoples feelings of something they clearly have come to cherish and mock them for it.

You truly are a disgusting attempt at a human being.

.Only joking!!!

. or am I...

Joking really! Haha!

.Or perhaps not...

I for one don't approve of jokes that go on for that long. :hmpf_bad:

:tongue:

April Fool's Month: Coming when you least expect it!

*announcer voice* And stay tuned for next year's "April Fool's Season"!! :laugh: .

*announcer voice* And stay tuned for next year's "April Fool's Season"!! :laugh: .

Please. We all know next April will be the first month of "April Fool's Year Decade Century Millennium." :rofl:

Please. We all know next April will be the first month of "April Fool's Year Decade Century Millennium." :rofl:

"April Fool's Year Decade Century Millemium Infinity" :roflmao:

Edited by Eric Su

While the joke was ment for fun, we do apologize if some of you took it seriously. Defending the orginal name is a really nice way to show that you love that place (a lot !) and this is what counts to most of the staff. So if you didn't the joke, somehow the trick worked fine :wink:

Thank you all for supporting us.

April Fool's Month: Coming when you least expect it!

Oh good, I have my calendar marked already. :grin:

Am I the only one who doesn't find the "'Murrica" meme funny..?

I'm definitely not a fan. It sounds like the sort of thing trailer park dwelling Texans would say while recounting the story of how Sam Houston annexed the United States as a territory of their great nation...

And by the way, for those who got a good laugh out of mocking U.S. Citizens for calling themselves 'Americans' while ignoring Canada, Mexico and the rest of the Western Hemisphere - you should really check your history. The practice of equating "American" exclusively with the U.S. started in Britain. From the 1500's to the late 1700's "American" used to refer to anything "new world" related. Around the time of the "American" revolution however, the convention in Britain (at least according to historical correspondence) was to use the term "American" for former colonists who were no longer subjects of the crown. Those former colonists, however, did NOT refer to themselves in that fashion (most did not even call themselves US citizens, they usually self-identified with their states (New Yorkers, Virginians, etc.), not the nation or the continent.

Webster, in an attempt to codify "American English" as a different beast from "British English" explicitly defined "American" to refer to all of the western hemisphere in contrast to Oxford, which at the time, synonymized it with people and products of the U.S. of A. It was not until after WWII, where a lot of US soldiers stationed in Europe were exposed to the slang of being called "Yanks" or "Americans" started referring to themselves in that capacity. Prior to that, when a US citizen heard the term, his/her first thoughts would have been to include his/her neighbors to the north and south as well. So if it's a bad habit, well, blame Gen. John Burgoyne, as far as most historians can tell, he started it. :wink:

And speaking of bad habits, if "Ameribricks" had lasted a day it would have been funny. If it had gone on for a day or two after people had openly expressed that the thread devoted to the discussion had become hostile / offensive / bullying, it would have been a bad and insensitive joke. To drag it on and ultimate mock the people hurt by the joke saying that they're too sensitive or just don't get it, is just plain cruel and goes against the welcoming spirit this place usually offers ("uniting LEGO fans..." not pitting them against each other for the sake of a few inside laughs??).

And I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a little too sensitive about mocking Americans or the joys of stirring anti-American sentiments; I live in Boston and this past week has been a bit stressful, cut me some slack.

Let's all break out some fresh bricks and move on.

Let's all break out some fresh bricks and move on.

That would be a good idea.

True...I feel sorry for the people of Boston. Go BPD!

All right, back on topic. This joke never came off to me as "cruel" because it caused a flamewar, but I have just one thing to remember for next year: A joke is a good one for a day. Close to a week is just not funny for the subjects of the prank. A truly good practical joke is one that everyone can enjoy and laugh about afterward! You don't want people telling "The Legend of the Awful Ameribricks Week", do you?

Edited by 8BrickMario

Out of curiosity, are statistics on membership by country available somewhere for ordinary users? Not that it would reveal that much, since a lot of members dont include their country in their sig (or are there more tech-savvy ways to find out?), but still, it would be interesting...

Out of curiosity, are statistics on membership by country available somewhere for ordinary users? Not that it would reveal that much, since a lot of members dont include their country in their sig (or are there more tech-savvy ways to find out?), but still, it would be interesting...

As far as using the board's features available to normal users*, the best I can think of would be to go to the Members list, click on 'More Search Options', and enter something under 'Country'. In theory that would bring up all the members who say they are from that country. In practice there's no way for it to account for differences in naming. (For example, there are twenty-two pages of results for "United States", two pages for "America", and forty-eight pages for "USA".) But it can probably give you a general idea.

*I'm sure there're ways for admins to find out which members are accessing the site from which countries, but to answer your question...

As far as using the board's features available to normal users*, the best I can think of would be to go to the Members list, click on 'More Search Options', and enter something under 'Country'. In theory that would bring up all the members who say they are from that country. In practice there's no way for it to account for differences in naming. (For example, there are twenty-two pages of results for "United States", two pages for "America", and forty-eight pages for "USA".) But it can probably give you a general idea.

*I'm sure there're ways for admins to find out which members are accessing the site from which countries, but to answer your question...

I searched and I am the only member from Guatemala, forever alone. :cry_sad:

Well maybe if the forum would get called Guatemalabricks could compensate my loneliness. :poke:

Hate to bump this up, but can we bring this banner back for today, Independence Day, only? :grin:

Hate to bump this up, but can we bring this banner back for today, Independence Day, only? :grin:

Only if Britain gets a separate banner for St George's, St Patrick's and St Andrew's days. :tongue: