Sign in to follow this  
Henchmen4Hire

Ultra Duty Truck

Not many people like 8-wide, but I'll keep making them anyway lol

Here's not just a Super Duty, but Ultra Duty truck! I wanted to make more big 6x6 vehicles (like wreckers) but didn't want to keep buying bricks for all of them. So, the next best thing was to make this base truck and only build different modules for the bed. I kept the construction simple to maximize customizability.

Notes

-Going to add fender flares, I just need some 1x2 cheese slopes to stick on there

-Can easily add extra axles, extend cab or bed, etc.

-Can easily swap out modules to put on the bed

-Can easily attach other things to front bumper by removing a few pieces

-Roomy engine compartment

4x4chas1_zps4e687750.png

4x4chas2_zps53f323ba.png

This is a 6x6 version

6x6chas_zps843e9717.png

Here's the underside, very simple. Just use technic beams of a suitable size and reinforce them where needed. Use long 3L technic pins (I think they're only made in blue) to connect the wheels/chassis/axle together.

dtt7_zps1024b45c.png

Here's a shot with my Vactor 2100 and Wildland Ultra XT 6x6

dtt4_zpse4897c0b.png

Edited by Ricecracker
Removed spoiler tags

I'm open to suggestions on what kind of things to make for the bed, I'm hoping to make at least 3 different modules. Reference pics for your suggestions would be nice too!

Update: Yaaaaay! I found most of the parts for this from one seller and they live like 10 blocks from me haha

Edited by DrNightmare

I think these are called ballast trucks/tractors

Never heard of them myself but looks pretty good. Can't wait to see the built. Keep up the great work.

Thankssss BJ!

Ballast Tractors are trucks designed to be heavy (a Ballast Box is like a fancy bucket used to hold weight, they can be installed in normal trucks too) so they have better traction on the road and can then pull or push very heavy loads. They tend to use a drawbar to move the loads, so I should add some kind of coupling system to the bumpers of that version. Also, I should add a ballast box haha.

I like the high bed walls they sometimes have, that's mostly why I used them here. I'm pretty sure to make it look like a true ballast tractor I'd have to make the nose/cab longer to accommodate a larger engine, making it look more like a big rig.

I'm learning about this stuff on the fly! :tongue:

Edited by DrNightmare

Some impressive looking trucks! The pick up looks very realistic and the working tail gate is a nice feature :thumbup:

The Vactor 2100 and Wildland Ultra XT 6x6 are gorgeous :wub:

8 wide would be a good size for trucks. The only thing that really bothers me is the missing (one piece) windshield...

Excellent models! You couldn't send ldd the file for the pickup? ! Thanks in advance!

Thankssss folks!

Yeah, the dual-windshields are a drag but they look alright.

I'll add LDD files later today for you, mifody.

Edit: Oops, I already deleted the pick-up LDD from my comp, I'll have to recreate it, will upload the chassis LDDs though.

Edited by DrNightmare

This is the greatest truck ever :D

Reworked the orange truck, now it's a hybrid of different things.

-Added winch and wheel-lift based on Alex Wong's designs. The wheel-lift needs a little reworking so it can properly engage tires, but it looks good enough. The winch can swivel and tilt up and down, it can also bend at the click-joints of course but that's technically not supposed to be possible lol. I just need string and a piston-like piece and it'll be complete.

-Yay, added fender flares to front wheels, I'll space them better in real life.

-There's still room for a ballast box! You can fill that yellow container with heavy stuff and load it onto the bed.

-And finally, I'm happy that a minifigure will fit perfectly in the cab, even with a bulky trucker hat! That's Mike Rowe behind the wheel haha.

-I'll add the steering wheel on the real model, a claw/clip connects to that plate in the dash and the wheel goes on it.

newbal1_zps3af1efc8.png

newbal2_zps1b2c144f.png

newbal3_zps3fa34769.png

newbal4_zps1ca9d1ac.png

Very impressive tow truck, looks like a powerful machine :thumbup:

The fender flares, opening door, and tool box are great details :classic:

The secret to making a model you're happy with is to never be happy with the model!

Here's a final update for the wrecker, I've reached the point where I don't think I can improve it anymore (though I'll probably nitpick it again later on haha).

-Added interior, will raise the center console by 1 or 2 plates when I modify the windshields on the real model.

-Minor reworking of some areas, mostly to fit the engine. Now there's a deep 4x4 area to fit it.

-Removable engine! And it doesn't look like total crap! The big mega thundercharged diesel drops right in, the only things you have to remove beforehand are the oil pan and the two discs in front, I'll fix this on the real model. The engine drops down and connects to the axle itself, so it looks more realistic. There's also empty space under the engine for more realism.

-Since the engine connects to the axle and the axle turns freely, I expect the engine to rattle as it rolls, so it has a built-in sound effect haha

weng1_zpsb481555e.png

weng2_zps54d64f95.png

weng4_zps29e3494d.png

weng3_zps4fd583a7.png

weng5_zps632b6107.png

wrinterior_zpsd583d956.png

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Actually the 8 wide trucks look really good. I thought about it but the windscreen put me off. I have got around to six wide and then extending the back to seven wide (With a six wide cab.) but would like to be able to seat two Mini-Figures side by side really, so yes I like these. I guess having to use two four stud windscreens is OK as long as they are both new and clean?

Thanksss! B-)

Actually the 8 wide trucks look really good. I thought about it but the windscreen put me off. I have got around to six wide and then extending the back to seven wide (With a six wide cab.) but would like to be able to seat two Mini-Figures side by side really, so yes I like these. I guess having to use two four stud windscreens is OK as long as they are both new and clean?

The only thing that bugs me about the windscreens is the part that sticks into the cab, I cut that area off so it won't obstruct anything.

Here's a WIP of a bigger wrecker, it'll have a bigger boom, sleeper cab, etc. I need to get more reference pics of other people's similar creations because I don't know how to design the winch. Also, I might be able to add a transmission to this.

bigtowwip_zps6305bffa.png

Update: New improved .LXF files added to the MOCPages site for the 4x4 and 6x6 chassis.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Great model :thumbup: :thumbup: Really customizable :wink: