Very impressive work on the hull! I love to see stuff like this built in bricks in stead of all those LDD pics out there pirate_classic.gif Again, i love those little cannons, and that winch thing looks great!

Thank you all for your kind support!

10.jpg

This is a very sloppy update but the point is just showing her shape right now! I'm ready to start working on the masts…

when the exams season ends pirate_laugh2.gif back to studying.

when the exams season ends pirate_laugh2.gif back to studying.

I removed Eurobricks from my bookmarks a couple of days, it helped pir_laugh2.gif .

I had my last exam the day before yesterday, good luck with yours.

Will you add an Idol to the bow? (I mean when the exams season ends ofcourse).

It's an update, nonetheless. And that frontal view is just gorgeous, I really like how the beakhead turned out, and her lines... pirate_wubnew.gif

Best of success for your exams!

Regards

C'mon, lad! Take a break, relax! Get your lego boxes and build up those masts pirate_laugh2.gif !

Nah, just kidding. I draw ships myself (Also in maths, heh) and the bow is always the part I always love. Why actually? Because it gives me the look: "Here I am, now get out of the way, even if you're a lost mermaid.". And I see that in your ship. How wonderful is it that you can create a ship in Lego? Just keep doing the great work, and hope to see more of ya! pirate_tong.gif

-Eddie

Hi everyone!

It has really been a good while since I last made a serious post on this topic. I've been really busy (I'm kinda in a dark age) and this ship requires WAY too many bricks pir_laugh2.gif I just can't get around to gather all of them, although this time the end is closed! This means: there are one or two pieces in the wrong colours so don't get too surprised if you spot them. In fact, in all my absent-mindness I've forgot to order 1x2 axles to connect the technic connectors for the spars… which means I've got a ton of these connectors without being able to connect them until the next order ugh.gif

14941724980_803273250b_c.jpg

I really like the colourscheme!, in particular the spark of colour made by the red over tan on deck. It looks warm.

15105384916_6faa23865d_c.jpg

So what is missing on the deck? Not much! The steering wheel, the catheads, the anchors and that's it! (notice the lamps at the stern, I've finally built them)

I think I might leave the other side open when she is finished and on display

dsc00654.jpg

I would appreciate some input here:

dsc00653.jpg

I'm happy with the way the bow looks and I might just leave it as it is (don't worry about those black plates on top, they are just applying pressure to put the hoses with the right shape). However, it would also be nice to add a minifig/idol here. If this is the case I would go for a white female idol, but I'm not sure there's a neat way to connect it to the ship. Any suggestions?

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

I wanted to start my reply with something along the lines of 'looking great' but because I've just re-read the whole topic, I know I've already done that two or three times ;)

About the minifig as a figurehead, can't you connect the legs ontop of the (whats that part called in English, in Dutch it is 'Galjoen snavel') the end of the bow just below the bowsprit.

You could also build a compashousing in the steering wheel area if you want to fill up the deck a bit more. and some cabinets to house signal flags against the stern.

Bart

She looks excellent Frank! It will look cool with the one side open showing the interior of the gundeck and lower deck. I can't wait to see the cannon and details on those two decks. I do think that you could build the headrails in a more grand way. They by no means look bad but they are not flamboyant enough for me. Maybe if the lowest rail was yellow rather then black or if the middle two rails were set higher and bent down. As for connecting a figure head, I connected the figure on Pinnacle with two clips to the lowest rail. This should work with your current structure.

13586592323_b2bc4d5fdb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Good work,

The last bits are the hardest... at least they do take the longest time to find their place, in my creations as well pirate_laugh_new.gif .

I can't help much with the idol, I would have to copy the construction and try some things myself.

But I do think that a tan figurehead may fit better than a white one.

Grey may also work (or silver if that was even possible pirate_laugh2.gif ).

I would suggest to not leave one side open. The finished side is so beautiful, why leave the rest "unfinished".

But that's not what you asked for. The figurehead.

I suppose, you would not want to go for a monkey (like I do) pirate_laugh2.gif so you would prefer a more serious answer.

Sebeus suggests "tan" and tan can be found within the model as part of the deck, so it would fit in a way. On the other hand, tan does not look impressive.

After having gone so far you want to come up with a figurehead that stands out (e.g. a white one).

I would be distinctive from the yellow.

What about gold?

The Atlantis sets brought a golden minifig with them - you can also add golden armour, etc.

.... now the lines got messed up. The sentence about being distinctive was meant to be the last one...

Thanks guys, this kind of feedback is really really important to me!

You could also build a compashousing in the steering wheel area if you want to fill up the deck a bit more. and some cabinets to house signal flags against the stern.

That's a really good idea. I want to add extra detail to the deck. The compass house is a must-do but I really liked the idea of the flags, I think I'll do it.

I do think that you could build the headrails in a more grand way. They by no means look bad but they are not flamboyant enough for me. Maybe if the lowest rail was yellow rather then black or if the middle two rails were set higher and bent down. As for connecting a figure head, I connected the figure on Pinnacle with two clips to the lowest rail.

The clips idea is pure genius! Thanks, I'll try to use it here. About the headrails though… I like them as they are pirate_tong.gif I understand you would prefer something a bit more sophisticated but in my reference models the headrails are very similar to mine… I mean, she's a fighting vessel after all cannon.gif

But I do think that a tan figurehead may fit better than a white one.

Grey may also work (or silver if that was even possible pirate_laugh2.gif ).

I would suggest to not leave one side open. The finished side is so beautiful, why leave the rest "unfinished".

I suppose, you would not want to go for a monkey (like I do) pirate_laugh2.gif so you would prefer a more serious answer.

Sebeus suggests "tan" and tan can be found within the model as part of the deck, so it would fit in a way. On the other hand, tan does not look impressive.

After having gone so far you want to come up with a figurehead that stands out (e.g. a white one).

I would be distinctive from the yellow.

What about gold?

The Atlantis sets brought a golden minifig with them - you can also add golden armour, etc.

.... now the lines got messed up. The sentence about being distinctive was meant to be the last one...

I agree with Captain Braunsfeld here, tan won't look impressive… Grey sounds pretty good to me and I'll give it a try but I'm afraid it will look like stone which wouldn't make much sense on a wooden vessel, would it? pirate_laugh2.gif White is fine and was my initial thought but I think it just doesn't fit too well… I think the definitive one will be in gold (maybe with a silver armour) as you suggested but I'll just experiment around to see what looks better.

I've started laying out the rigging. I'll update this topic when there's something interesting to show.

(...)

That's a really good idea. I want to add extra detail to the deck. The compass house is a must-do but I really liked the idea of the flags, I think I'll do it.

(...)

On the HMS Victory (where off I got the Ideal, but I think more ships have something similar) it looks like this:

http://www.jotika-lt...Const99_lrg.jpg

http://www.jotika-lt...Const77_lrg.jpg

I couldn't find any modern/real pictures, guess the poop deck is off limits to tourist, or the buckets and steeringwheel are more interesting to take photo's of.

Bart

Edit: here a picture of the HMS Surprise (replica) of that area: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)_poop_deck_3.JPG

Edited by Bart

Late to the party agin, sorry.

I would suggest no figure head and especially not a white one. Being French of the late 18th century she makes as much sense with, as with out. If she were built pre-revolution, gilding, intricate gingerbread works and a grand figure head would be in order to be sure. If she were napoleonic one might expect a more toned down decor in line with the values of the sans culottes. Since I don't make out any other carvings i think a figure head of mini figure proportions would stand out just too much. If you've decided on a figure, then stick with a color already on the ship as suggested above. 

As for display I see no harm in leaving her larboard exposed. Its a common  practice with wooden modelers and seems well appreciated in that community. Wasn't the ability to expose the lower deck a primary goal in the creation of this fine frigate after all? I'd go so far as to suggest, not only, displaying her exposed but to display along side the removed wall section with its gun battery in place. 

She's still looking great. Cheers to you for sticking with her and a glass to her imminent completion. 

P.S. something about the side galleries had been bugging me. Would you be so kind as to humor me with a level, side-on shot of her starboard side? 

Edited by kurigan

Sorry for the late response but I'm really not active here.

There you go.

dsc00653.jpg

May I ask what is bugging you? I can show another angles or how they are built in more detail if you want to.

(yeah, sorry, this port and not starboard, but they are absolutely symmetrical…)

Lovely ship, especially the hull is nice. I really like your idea of leaving one side exposed. :)

What I think bothers Kurigan is the fact that the galleries slope downwards as they go aft. I've been googling a bit just now, and I can't seem to find a picture of a frigate with downwards angled side galleries - they are all level with the gundeck. The stern wall windows is another story, where there's of course often an arc to them. Case in point, of course, is Wesley's Persephone (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86612), though instead of using the blocky slope bricks one could probably tilt the gallery windows themselves inwards; I imagine that's doable when there's just one level of galleries, possibly even when there are two as on the Persephone.

Regards :)

actually the window doesn't slope down.

look at the black line, that stays horizontal. (parallel to the deck) so the base of the window stays parallel to the deck as well

if you take a picture with the lens of the camera on the same level as the deck, you will see this.

but because its coming forward (towards the camera) and the picture is taken from a higher perspective, it looks like the window slopes down.

or at least that's what I think

Bart

I think you're right! Looked through the entire thread again, and it appears to be just an optical illusion caused by the sheer outwards reach of the gallery section? The 2x4 hinge plate attaching the window to the gundeck wall is obviously level... I would love to see more pictures of that section, because there is something off that I can't pinpoint. pir_wacko.gif

What's been bugging me is indeed the optical illusion created be the side galleries. As you said before, I'm sure it's just that, an illusion. What I think reinforces the illusion, though, is the sheer. With out being able to count studs down the length of the ship I can't be sure, but it would seem in that image, the galleries should be one plate higher than the gun port ahead of it (perhaps that whole section). Now I doubt that's the kind of thing that could be changed at this stage (I wouldn't want to tear hull at this point to be sure ) so well just have to call it "character" and move on. They are still some of the best yet.

I see this as a function of the inherent problem simulating curvature in Lego.This is essentially a digital medium in which curves tend to represented by  sections of straight lines. When the curvature of the hull reaches its zenith it's angle relative to the water line hasn't changed. Despite rising above the height of the waist the member parts are still level. The only ship in recent memory which didn't suffer this has been Revenge (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87939), and that's just on a scale and level of intricacy most (all?) of us simply are not ready for.

As for the transom windows, those are correct for the period. Easiest reference is Harmonie, the recently completed replica, being of about the same era.

Edited by kurigan

Wow, lots of discussion about the galleries.

Lovely ship, especially the hull is nice. I really like your idea of leaving one side exposed. :)

What I think bothers Kurigan is the fact that the galleries slope downwards as they go aft. I've been googling a bit just now, and I can't seem to find a picture of a frigate with downwards angled side galleries - they are all level with the gundeck. The stern wall windows is another story, where there's of course often an arc to them. Case in point, of course, is Wesley's Persephone (http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=86612), though instead of using the blocky slope bricks one could probably tilt the gallery windows themselves inwards; I imagine that's doable when there's just one level of galleries, possibly even when there are two as on the Persephone.

Regards :)

actually the window doesn't slope down.

look at the black line, that stays horizontal. (parallel to the deck) so the base of the window stays parallel to the deck as well

if you take a picture with the lens of the camera on the same level as the deck, you will see this.

but because its coming forward (towards the camera) and the picture is taken from a higher perspective, it looks like the window slopes down.

or at least that's what I think

Bart

Bart is right here. The galleries are no doubt parallel to the keel of the ship.

What's been bugging me is indeed the optical illusion created be the side galleries. As you said before, I'm sure it's just that, an illusion. What I think reinforces the illusion, though, is the sheer. With out being able to count studs down the length of the ship I can't be sure, but it would seem in that image, the galleries should be one plate higher than the gun port ahead of it (perhaps that whole section). Now I doubt that's the kind of thing that could be changed at this stage (I wouldn't want to tear hull at this point to be sure ) so well just have to call it "character" and move on. They are still some of the best yet.

I see this as a function of the inherent problem simulating curvature in Lego.This is essentially a digital medium in which curves tend to represented by sections of straight lines. When the curvature of the hull reaches its zenith it's angle relative to the water line hasn't changed. Despite rising above the height of the waist the member parts are still level. The only ship in recent memory which didn't suffer this has been Revenge (http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87939), and that's just on a scale and level of intricacy most (all?) of us simply are not ready for.

As for the transom windows, those are correct for the period. Easiest reference is Harmonie, the recently completed replica, being of about the same era.

Hum. I'm not sure I understood your point: if you are saying the window section should be one plate higher, that would certainly be feasible and is rather well-spot. In some sources it is as you say; in others, they are level with the last gunport: (note, I do not own this image)

dscn1603_copy.jpg

The way this is built is really accurate in terms of shape and she is vertical at the waterline at almost every point, as she should. The Revenge is such a beautiful ship but the goal here is a bit different: to make a full-hull ship in an accessible way.