April Fool's day has passed, so it's time to get serious. After building my large speed chassis with the new hubs, I was so eager to build I disassembled it right away :blush: I think I have a video, but not completely sure, because I deleted some... Anyway after a couple days of messing around with various ideas I came up with a solid prototype. Features are: 4 link connections, gear reduction 1:9-using a nifty reduction right before the 5x7 frame(which has knob wheels so I don't break any bevel gears), a telescopic driveshaft which I got from a youtube video-not sure who it was by; new 8t gears, and to top it off, my 1.9 Rok Lox tires :thumbup: Photos: dscn1356.jpg

dscn1358.jpg

dscn1359.jpg

dscn1360.jpg

dscn1362.jpg

dscn1363.jpg

I guess I will build a chassis then the front axle. This crawler will probably use buggy motors considering the reduction.

I might be wrong in saying this but you might be better making a custom universal joint using half toggle joints,I believe it would be stronger.

I love the look of those tires, they certainly give you more clearance as well. I would try to not use the nob gears though, they drive rather irregularly.

tim

I might be wrong in saying this but you might be better making a custom universal joint using half toggle joints,I believe it would be stronger.
I love the look of those tires, they certainly give you more clearance as well. I would try to not use the nob gears though, they drive rather irregularly. tim
Alasdair, I might just do the custom u joint but I'll make the chassis first to see if it would fit, because it would change the geometry I currently have, and Tim, yes I love them too but their size can put a little bit of stress on the axle when going over obstacles, and if this crawler gets fully built, I will decide whether knob wheels will be necessary (torque-wise)

Excuse me... What's a half toggle joint? Do you have a bricklink URL? And how would you build that to be more stable?

Edited by deckard9

It will work even better if you mounted those shock absorbers closer to the wheelhubs :classic: Then the axle itself won't bend so much when compressed, and you take friction out of the equation

Excuse me... What's a half toggle joint? Do you have a bricklink URL? And how would you build that to be more stable?

Here is a custom universal joint.....

th_fxfhfj_zpsd584205a.png

There are two types of toggle joint smooth and toothed.

44.gif4273.gif

Here is a custom universal joint.....

th_fxfhfj_zpsd584205a.png

I don't understand how it works. I see that it blends in one direction, but how does it blend in the other direction?

I don't understand how it works. I see that it blends in one direction, but how does it blend in the other direction?

I don't think it does bend in the other direction...

wait, i thought i couldn't blend,but will it blend?

i think it might just be 1 degree of freedom..

Edited by Someonenamedjon

If you need it to pivot the other way just add another section to it. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

If you need it to pivot the other way just add another section to it. :classic:

it might be a bit big then though :look:

Edited by Someonenamedjon

It would be 5 studs long...so not that big,I don't build off-roaders so I can't say for sure that a reinforced universal joint will help performance.

It would be 5 studs long...so not that big,I don't build off-roaders so I can't say for sure that a reinforced universal joint will help performance.

why not just build u joint?

why not just build u joint?

I don't need a universal joint? :look:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Looks overcomplicated to me. You could use a 36 and 12 tooth gear, therebye elimenate the inefficient knob gears and the offset.

Looks overcomplicated to me. You could use a 36 and 12 tooth gear, therebye elimenate the inefficient knob gears and the offset.

yes I agree, I was just messing around with ideas because i've used the 12/36 combo in the past, but my building skills and parts inventory have improved since then, so here is version 2 which I built yesterday: dscn1400.jpg

dscn1407.jpg

^need more 3x5 thin liftarms to make the other side

dscn1410.jpg

^heavy duty u-joints take up too much space, sorry.

dscn1411.jpg

^these pieces keep the 12t in place by reinforcing the axle it sits on.

dscn1412.jpg

^these keep the bottom link mounts from popping off, I will figure out some to do the same for the top link mounts.

ok so I've been thinking...I want some extra gearing so in the chassis I think I'll use a 12t/20t combination, but do you guys know if installing....lets say a 2 speed gearbox... will be worth it? or having one ratio with high torque?

Well, some time has passed and I played around with some ideas and eventually decided on using the output selector gearbox by Sariel. So after building yesterday evening and this morning I finally got a half-chassis connected to the rear axle, along with a fully remote controlled shifter using mini LA's. pics: dscn1426.jpg

dscn1427.jpg

dscn1428.jpg

dscn1432.jpg

dscn1433.jpg

dscn1434.jpg

dscn1435.jpg

dscn1436.jpgdscn1437.jpg

dscn1438.jpg

I have a modified version of Sariel's gearbox that takes advantage of the high power and high speed outputs on the buggy motors. Here take a look:

16062_501759999844033_814076681_n.jpg

tim