Every itme a new part is released the forum starts a discussion on its usefulness and such.

I was wondering, what sort of new parts would you like to see in production.

Please share your ideas!

Here are a few of mine:

• A shock absorber that has axle (or pin) holes in both ends facing away from each other. I made a fantastic picture to visualise this.
    XpYrpM2.png?1
    This would allow things like MachPerson struts to be easier to build.
  • PF radio reciever and radio controller. IR just isn't good enough. Especially outdoors, though technically lego isn't meant for outdoors anyway.
  • Diffrent sizes of clutch gears for better and more realistic gearboxes.
  • Narrower wheels and proper offsets inside. These add realism and make things a bit easier.

Sorry if this thread isn't orignal.

Edited by skppo

Id be happy with the things that you already listed :-P. But if i have to add something id say "colors" im so tired of beeing forced to build soft curvess in red or black :/

Narrowers or real scale wheels is a great idea a bigger linear actuator and a big turntable would be good too.

if i have my 3D printer up and running aprox 9 weeks to wait i wil design and print my own lego parts

2-3 stud (when retracted) longer pneumatic cylinder and LA.

And of course clutch gears, something that builders have been waiting for almost 20 years.

I already made a topic about this some time ago http://www.eurobrick...topic=74325&hl= , maybe they should be merged?

I really like the shock absorber idea though

Dang it!

I didn't remember that one and my search skills didn't help either.

Merging would be a good idea. I'm sorry! :cry3:

On the topic though, I often find my self thinking,"I can't make this work without some part I don't own."

Then again I might just suck at building :laugh:

MacPherson struts are something I've bee experimenting lately and I think the hardest part is mounting the shock to the hub.

My suggestion would make it easier as it would lock the angle of the shock absorber. Current absorbers are hard to connect solidly.

A springs but instead of crossholes on each ends I would like the female towballs in a manner, so they atatch inside sideways. This way they cant pop out and you get great freedom for floating axles.

You probably already know mine, but for the sake of completeness, here's some of my renders.

pneumatic_long.jpg

new_gears.jpg

pneumatic_switch_idea.jpg

technic_xl_turntable_partially_assembled.jpg

And some of Barmans awesome ideas:

11_kogellink.jpg

12_kogellink_3d.jpg

13_extension_tube_5l.jpg

14_shock_absorber_7l.jpg

yup i see some good stuff here, i would like to have smaller ir recievers.

That are cheaper and have more ports!

Allenp , can you explain what all of those are for?

I've been trying to build my own custom tie rods for a couple days now. those parts would be awesome. Relying on a custom axle is kind of a drag though. I'd rather they be used with a beam instead.

That are cheaper and have more ports!

Allenp , can you explain what all of those are for?

Let me see. The first one, the longer pneumatic, that one would be for being freakin awesome! Sets are getting bigger and it's time pneumatics did to, I usually end up having to put two end to end which is ugly and not realistic. Would be useful in anything from small forklifts to mid sized skip trucks to large ...... anything you like! The gears below that would be for making a more authentic and efficient gearbox, the much needed next step after the drive rings were first introduced a billion years ago! The pneumatic valve below that is just a conceptual sketch rather than a working idea, similar in function to the current one however its ports are on the back of the valve instead of on the side making them better for placing next to each other. It also has a tapered exhaust outlet which should make it easier to control how fast things such as heavy booms come down (not that it's not easy enough already :grin: ). The large turntable below that allows for heavier superstructures whilst also lowing friction. The turntable in 8043 is already a bit wobbly, in 42009 it's gonna be laughable. After that are my favorite ideas of Barman. The first is a socket that fits onto a ball joint, like a steering link. For it to connect securely to the end of a axle without pulling off, all axles would be slightly modified to include notches at the end, like the 2l axles currently has. This allows for links to be made any length (provided you have the axle for it) and any configuration. Would be useful for steering links, tie rods, helecopter linkages, all sorts of things. Next is a telescopic shaft. This allows drive between two places which have a changing distance between them, such as a live axle and a chassis. Lastly is a suspention assembly which has a socket at either end which makes it able to be used with balljoints in an intuative way, enabling suspended components to travle through their arcs of motion without binding.

Edited by allanp

another idea! smaller cv joints....i like making small cars but they can't be 4x4 or AWD :(

A axle connector that can do this.

r100_3185.jpgr100_3186.jpg

so, an axle joiner with a 60 degree offset? That would be cool for engines and stuff, not sure what else.

Anyway, I have some parts I'd want to see:

Roller bearings, similar in size and shape to the wedge belt wheels, but with a round hole and ball bearings in the existing holes.

Electrical slip rings. So you can pass wires through turntables without worrying about tangling.

More counter rotation modules. I'm thinking of a new piece in two versions, 2 and 3 studs long, that looks like nothing so much as a pin joiner, but with teeth like the old toggle joints. Also, there would be another piece the same diameter as the existing changeover catch, but longer and completely smooth, and a set of double hollow gears, which would go around this. This would allow up to 4 axles to pass through a turntable, or two to pass through a small one.

Some new parts that would allow linear actuators to be easily joined end to end.

4L pins with friction. Similar to the 3 long ones, but one stud longer.

Lead screws. I've seen some custom made ones, but this as an official part would be quite cool. I'd imagine they would be threaded so that the screws could be used like standard axles. I was thinking that this would be good for all kinds of things, like cranes.

Different steering brackets for the CV joints. In addition, the CV joints could also have different versions.

More wheels with accurate proportions.

Spline shaft, as mentioned above.

2L differential. It would be a single piece, with integrated gears, and would fit in a linear actuator frame.

A proportional switch, like the existing one, but allowing proportional control.

so, an axle joiner with a 60 degree offset? That would be cool for engines and stuff, not sure what else.

Cool for engines? How about Technic Building in general. :classic:

I agree with everything I've seen so far.

Here are my additions:

-One of these 32184.jpg?0, but with the axle and pin hole reversed.

-A 29L or 31L beam.

-A micro motor.

-Aircraft style tires that have a more rounded side profile.

-A new style 9L steering rack.

-PF flashing LED lights.

-5x5 square panels with a curve to match the 5x11 triangle panels.

-Some way to allow at least 4 axles through a turntable.

-RF or maybe blue tooth remote control.

A turntable with ball bearings would be nice as I find they don't turn very well when they have to deal with a lot of weight

A range of cutch gears that require different amounts of force to make them slip

Stronger u joints.

Well, they already have the really strong red ones, but they don't produce them any more.

yes, we know, but lego needs to reintroduce them, and make them 3L.

I've got more ideas, just watch.

Transparent panels

Flexible axles that can transmit power.

Leaf springs

compact planetary gears.

more brackets for narrower independant suspension.

Lockable brackets, like the existing 1 axle joiner, and the cross axle, and the axle joiner, but set up like some of the parts above to latch onto notched axles.

An intergrated 3:1 gearbox, with permanetly mounted gears.

Motor controllers, which would bypass the current limits of the recievers, and allow for control of multiple high current motors.

maybe some kind of remote control module with intergrated servo control and mixing.

A proportional stick control.

F motors, similar in shape to L motors, but longer, and with much higher speed. Would also have two outputs, one in line with the long axis of the motor, and two perpendicular ones.

S motor, 1/3 the size of m motor, with lower speed.

Mini servo, similar in size and shape to l motor, but with servo internals.

Linear motor, like some aftermarket NXT linear motors, but with PF control like servo motors. Would be good for articulated steering, steering that requires more travel than existing servo, cranes, excavators, and gearboxes.

Solenoid valves, maybe.

Solid differential, like existing 3L differential, but with really tough intergrated gears, and maybe with an add on part to make it limited slip.

Axles with half stud spaced notches, and lockable bushes to lock structures together.

Sliding elements for building crane outriggers.

Hydropneumatic shocks, kind of like some available in the recent past.

Grippy crawler tires, at realistic width.

longer worm gears, and some studless brackets for them

Larger track sprockets

Roller chain based on new style track links

Different crank shaft pieces to make different kinds of engines

New metal crane hook parts.

Large single hull pieces, and maybe waterproof components for building boats.

An intergrated circut trafficator mechanism, replacing a large mechanism with a small brick, with two ports to control LEDs

A programable sound block, with capability to respond to various events with realistic sounds, like engine noises.

Aerodynamic blades and ducted fans to allow a helicopter to fly :tongue: .

Rotary pneumatic motors

Lightweight truss pieces for building tower cranes, etc.

Weight pieces that can be assembled into counterweight slabs for cranes, ballast for ships, cog adjustment for crawlers,etc.

Flexible window panels, for the obvious.

parts for making compact, multi section crane booms.

a variable geometry AA batter box, in three seperate pieces. Would be able to unfold, and assemble in various way, allowing builder to put the batteries wherever they want.

That's all I've got for now, I had other stuff, but forgot.

yes, we know, but lego needs to reintroduce them, and make them 3L.

I've got more ideas, just watch.

[Lots of ideas]

That would sure be awesome, but you're getting into the hobby rc range with some of those ideas like the various electronics and pre-made adjustable parts...unless you want technic to evolve into a plastic rival of hobby rc standard :grin: Edited by z3_2drive

so complex ideas, why not something simple like this

8624344749_17ae5acd74.jpg

an new cv joint part which has an 3L axle instead the sliding part. we could make an driven steering axle with 9 studs between pivot points and using an differential