Sign in to follow this  
D3K

Need help to evaluate MOC instructions

Hi! :grin:

During the easter, I have been trying to get into MLcad and Ldraw, because I wanted to make some instructions for my latest MOC, the small tracked loader I showed off last week.

dsc_0069.jpg

Anyways, seeing as this is my first, I would ask the helping hand of a couple of you more experienced builders out there, to download the instructions, build the model, and then give me some feedback as to what could have been done differently/better.

I will probably finish the instructions later today, or early tomorrow.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please contact me via PM, and I will send you a link to download the instructions from my dropbox once they are done. These are of course copyrighted, and should not be distributed freely amongst others.

In the meantime, I have compiled a parts list from the LDD model that you can download here , but there are two or three minor differences from that list and the model in the actual instructions. :blush:

and here is a small sample of the instructions:

bilde.png

Thank you in advance! :wink:

Edited by D3K

Will the instructions be free? I would like to look at the instructions because I like the model very much, but I don't think I would actually build the model.

I was thinking - if they are understandable - to upload the model to rebrickable and eventually to NYchase's MOCplans site, with a "pay what you like, if you want to pay" option..

So yeah, in essence they will be free! :wink:

I'm rebuilding the model step by step from the instructions right now, and if it works, I will make it available for download.

The idea of this "evaluation" I'm seeking, is to not post something that's no good :blush:

Looks good quality, good job, and well done for persevering with MLCad, I haven't succeeded in that yet... :blush: Also I like the idea of "pay what you like" as it gives people some freedom, I don't like to pay for instructions (prefer to spend it on actual Lego) but I am interested in learning other people's solutions to problems :wink:, and you get a small income coming in of the people who aren't cruel like me and pay for instructions :blush:, so yes, I am definitely interested in seeing what these are like :classic:

The instructions (1st draft at least) are done. The Zip file is just over 18 MB, and contains two PDFs, where one is just some info, and the other is the instructions.

I think they turned out quite allright, for being a first at least.

It is by no means as complex as the instructions of Nath Kuipers and the like. In particular I couldn't figure out the proper way to do sub-assemblies.. So it's built entirely from the ground up and left to right. But I built it yesterday, following the instructions, and did OK.. :sceptic:

Anyway; anyone interested, send me a PM and I will send you the link to download them!

Looks good quality, good job, and well done for persevering with MLCad, I haven't succeeded in that yet...

Making the model is not that difficult, only extremely time consuming. And you have to think about the instructions every step of the way, to make sure this part will be placeable after I put in that part, and so on. When I did my trial build yesterday, I realised I had to move some of the later building steps back more than 50 steps, for it to be physically possible to place the parts without dismantling parts of the model. For example the lights should definately go in before I added the IR receivers and batterybox, closing and sealing everything up! :blush:

Edited by D3K

OFF:

Is it possible to export from LDD to MLCad? It's pretty fast to build in LDD (I can build as fast aswith real pieces).

OFF:

Is it possible to export from LDD to MLCad? It's pretty fast to build in LDD (I can build as fast aswith real pieces).

Yes I think it is, but there are quite a few errors I reckon and it'll probably be quite hard to make instructions from it...

EDIT: had a quick go trying with the Nano Magic Cube thing (smallish file to export and I had it to hand) http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46788 and things didn't go that well...

I went from this

8612312671_ee296e7ac9.jpg

What happens when you export a simple model from LDD to MLCad... by legomuppet9, on Flickr

To this

8612312485_f3d51d36c4_z.jpg

What happens when you export a simple model from LDD to MLCad... by legomuppet9, on Flickr

And to be perfectly honest, I do not have the time to make amends, mainly because I still don't know how to create building instructions on MLCad (I've never finished a tutorial, attention span isn't my best thing...)

Edited by legomuppet9

I was thinking - if they are understandable - to upload the model to rebrickable and eventually to NYchase's MOCplans site, with a "pay what you like, if you want to pay" option..

So yeah, in essence they will be free! :wink:

Before that's possible, MOCplans has to be up and running... (hint hint @nychase) :grin::tongue:

Before that's possible, MOCplans has to be up and running... (hint hint @nychase) :grin::tongue:

Not at all subtle there!

Soon, soon. As some members of this forum can confirm there is actual testing going on right now and we should be releasing Roscos F1 cars very soon. There are a few issues with scaling and some missing pages that we are still working on before we go into this "public beta" phase.

@D3K:

i am very interested in your moc, but I cant send you a pm, (because this is my first eurobricksaccount)

but could you send the instruction to my youtube-account?

P.s: sorry for my english, i am from Germany

@D3K:

i am very interested in your moc, but I cant send you a pm, (because this is my first eurobricksaccount)

but could you send the instruction to my youtube-account?

P.s: sorry for my english, i am from Germany

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

I sent you a message from my youtube channel, hope you will be satisfied. :classic:

Yes I think it is, but there are quite a few errors I reckon and it'll probably be quite hard to make instructions from it...

EDIT: had a quick go trying with the Nano Magic Cube thing (smallish file to export and I had it to hand) http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=46788 and things didn't go that well...

I went from this

To this

Export from LDD to LDraw uses an XML mapping file. This file maps each LDD part to a corresponding LDraw part, including any required rotations and scaling. The problem is that this mapping file only contains "official" LDraw parts. In particular, there are a lot of gaps in the mapping of Technic parts, so conversion of Technic models usually results in a lot of holes. It is possible to fix this problem by adding the parts to the XML mapping file manually, after which the export will work fine, but this is a lot of work.

Export from LDD to LDraw uses an XML mapping file. This file maps each LDD part to a corresponding LDraw part, including any required rotations and scaling. The problem is that this mapping file only contains "official" LDraw parts. In particular, there are a lot of gaps in the mapping of Technic parts, so conversion of Technic models usually results in a lot of holes. It is possible to fix this problem by adding the parts to the XML mapping file manually, after which the export will work fine, but this is a lot of work.

So you may as well just use MLCad to build it in the first place I guess...

Anyone willing to give some constructive feedback? :classic:

The instructions are here (~19 MB PDF in a zip archive)

The parts list is here (excel file, roughly accurate)

Anyone willing to give some constructive feedback? :classic:

The instructions are here (~19 MB PDF in a zip archive)

The parts list is here(excel file, roughly accurate)

The intention is there, now it's just a matter of finding time....

Ok I have made a list...... :look:

1) In some most of the steps you have added to many parts.

2) In most of the steps you can not clearly work out were to add these new parts.

3) You have different colors of bushes.

4) You have not 'Lsynthed' the track probably.

5) you did not show the complete model after adding the last only sub step.

Ok I have made a list...... :look:

1) In some most of the steps you have added to many parts.

2) In most of the steps you can not clearly work out were to add these new parts.

3) You have different colors of bushes.

4) You have not 'Lsynthed' the track probably.

5) you did not show the complete model after adding the last only sub step.

In my opinion that's a bit harsh :wink:

In answer to your problems with my opinion:

1) More parts per step = a more challenging build, which I personally prefer :grin:

2) Searching where to put the pieces on the instructions is half the fun :wink:

3) I don't see how this is a problem if they're hidden away...

4) That is a valid point :look:

5) It does look slightly more professional with the final model at the end yes :wink:

Otherwise really good job of these instructions :sweet: You've done a better job than I'd have done... I wouldn't have had the attention span to finish them... :look:

My thoughts:

Not too many parts per step, the official LEGO instructions are too childish already, we don't need more of that. The old type of instructions were the best.

Step 27: You might have wanted to make a substep where you build all those bricks and then put it on the final model. My first thought was "wow" that is complicated.

Step 36-37: No problem at all, but how are you gonna get those small wheels attached there based by the pictures? It should've been made like step 38

There's missing an instruction at step 122

What you did at page 131 with a substep was perfect. You should do that a lot more.

I haven't felt like I needed to look for parts at all. It's just that some people (like Alasdair) like the stupid Lego instructions they've been making the last few years, where even a newborn infant could build a model based on the instructions. It's so stupid. BRING BACK the good old instruction books!

Not this instruction bullshitting again.

I prefer the newer instruction, yet, i can build MOCs.

Can I go megabluck myself?

Thank you very much for the feedback! :thumbup:

Regarding bricks per step, I think more bricks (within reason) makes for a better building experience. Also more bricks/step = less steps = smaller size PDF.

The only place I feel it got a bit messy and chaotic is step 27, like you mentioned Carsten, but that had to be done that way, as I discovered a small flaw during my trial build... :thumbdown:

I totally agree this (and a lot of other steps - like attaching the third and fourth motor) would be a lot easier to read by using sub-assemblies/-steps, but I didn't discover how to do that before the very last step! :sweet: The entire chaos of step 27 could be avoided altogether :blush:

Bushes (and half bushes): I used the colour that looked best externally. Internally, I used grey as they are the most widely available.

I have absolutely no idea how to "Lsynth" the tracks, but I suppose it means to fit them properly over the wheels? :sceptic:

Also, I haven't figured out ho to keep stuff like arrows and smaller axle assemblies and pins outside the main model in single steps, to better indicate where things should go :look:

If it sound like I am defending myself, that is not the case! :sweet: I asked for feedback, and will take most things in to account when making the second draft of the instructions! :wink:

I haven't felt like I needed to look for parts at all. It's just that some people (like Alasdair) like the stupid Lego instructions they've been making the last few years, where even a newborn infant could build a model based on the instructions. It's so stupid. BRING BACK the good old instruction books!

Totally agree! Needing three or more booklets, where an entire page can be dedicated to the placement of a single pin, is just stupid. It's LEGO, not rocket surgery ( :laugh: :laugh:)

Just to be perfectly clear; by surgery, I mean science, but whoever can guess where that quote is from, get's a free set of instructions! :thumbup:

Was it that gal who said "farming is free, you just put the seeds in the ground and food comes out, it's not rocket surgery?"

I was thinking of Ricky from Trailer Park Boys, but after a quick google search, it seems it is a lot more widely used than I first thought :laugh:

Anyway, help yourself to free instructions! :laugh: