mortesv

REVIEW: USC AT-AT (10246)

Hi everyone, this is my first review, so bear with me if everything is not up to the usual high standards of this forum.

Having been an avid UCS fan for a long time I was very surprised to learn that I had completely missed the 10246 UCS AT-AT. To my luck there was just one left on Bricklink, which I bought really cheap – around 1000euros. Most of the bricks were even brand new!

Getting the 6700 bricks took just over a month – here is a chunk of them lying on my home office floor:

8571664829_750f1ea9d3_b.jpg

In terms of parting out there is a LOT of LBG if you are into building castles, and there are a few exotic pieces as well.

To my surprise the instructions were a simple LDD file. But even more surprising was the fact that the instructions only showed part of the alternate model:

8607516420_fba3d337ce_b.jpg

The UCS Nebulon B!

I love the fact that alternate models once again are part of the UCS line. To my knowledge the only other UCS with an alternate was the TIE Interceptor and that alternate was baaaaaaad. One could argue that the Nebulon should have its own set, but I am not complaining.

The tricky part was to disassemble the alternate LDD model and making the AT-AT using ALL the pieces.

I began with constructing the feet and legs:

8572759880_5536fb6469_b.jpg

Quick note – remember these tires:

8571668333_affaed7abe_c.jpg

or else THIS happens:

8572760942_7a9b78e0ff_b.jpg

This is the legs with the body frame attached:

8571666615_d39824fb44_b.jpg

Everything else is cleverly attached to the body frame – thumbs up to the designer!

Sides attached – each side is held in place by only two pins:

8572762726_d244b961a0_b.jpg

Here I experimented with attaching the head. The head is exquisitely detailed and constructed quite nicely – without the sides the model has a 'skinny dog' look:

8572761536_becf58c2f1_b.jpg

(the head and the neck weighs almost 1kg! – over two pounds)

Finally some shots of the finished model:

8572764116_e1d5196301_b.jpg

8572764576_6f99a2eb95_b.jpg

Luke is AT it again... (get it???)

8571669821_63fa35968f_b.jpg

8571669333_8414e086b9_b.jpg

Together with the little brother – 7129:

8428918433_d3e8474f9c_b.jpg

All in all the model took about 25 minutes to assemble. More experienced builders will have it done in around 10 minutes I guess. I have heard of people (possibly named Dave) taking several months to build this thing, but I guess that must be an urban legend…

As with many other UCS sets the 10246 comes with a scale model. In this case it is a very detailed Snowspeeder, consisting of more than 400 bricks distributed over more than 130 types.

8571679545_8a609da433_b.jpg

8571671951_ed4074ee89_b.jpg

Conclusion:

Parts: 10/10 if your like LBG - 1/10 if you don’t

Design: 10/10 if you like accurate UCS models – subtract 15 from this score if you want your UCS models to have minifigs and play features

Build: 10/10 - although it was almost too easy to follow the instructions

Price: Like REALLY cheap

Minifigures: None – so 10/10 and shut up!

Playablity: Use you imagination

Overall: 6000,5 - I like it A LOT!

Have a great April guys!

Very nice - clever with the tyres! It looks wonderful; so smooth with studs in all the right places. Great job.

Buy Lego Star Wars At At, Like new, Trusted seller.

Thank you for the enlightening post. You sound like you know what you are talking about. I bookmarked your site and will be checking it again soon. Thanks for sharing. You have really inspired me to write more on this interesting topic.

cheap lego star wars at athttp://eurobricksstarwarsforum.com/2013/04/01/review-10246-ucs-at-at/

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Worst AT AT ever!!! Doesn't look anything like the original and lacks Princess Leia's hair accessories. :thumbdown:

You know you're terrible at modding Mortsev. Post your 10246 to me now so as I can fix it over the next 12 months and send it back to you in time for next April...

Worst AT AT ever!!! Doesn't look anything like the original and lacks Princess Leia's hair accessories. :thumbdown:

You know you're terrible at modding Mortsev. Post your 10246 to me now so as I can fix it over the next 12 months and send it back to you in time for next April...

No, I am NOT sending you any more sets!!

Fool me once...

Looks like cavegods version, didn't realise instructions were being sold...

It's that one and you can "have" the instructions for it.

The AT-AT is awesome. But what catch my attention, is the alternate model your Nebulon B frigate :wink:

Hi Bob Your LDD constructions are awesome. Do you share or sell the instructions for them?

Many thanks

[snip]

Magnificent; do you have the LDD file for the Nebulon B or can you tell me where to find the file. Many Thanks Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote the entire first post.

I've began to build this AT-AT, though still trying to figure first how to make it with an interior:) What is really costy in this build are the giant wheel 71mm, 130€ for two....

I've began to build this AT-AT, though still trying to figure first how to make it with an interior:) What is really costy in this build are the giant wheel 71mm, 130€ for two....

You could try several small ones, that might work too, or maybe even better!

Morbid curiosity... which wheel do you mean?

Morbid curiosity... which wheel do you mean?

The large wheel from the ISD 10030 there is an alternate build that doesn't use these wheels though.

The large wheel from the ISD 10030 there is an alternate build that doesn't use these wheels though.

oh, that was not the wheel I thought deanorth meant, I thought he meant the rubber ones in the feet :). never mind.

those wheel in the feet, I got them with my pack of lego I carry with me since the late 80ish year:))) right on spot 4 ones:) they look old, but that's not the point:)

Nice design! I think Lego will give us an official UCS AT-AT soon... that is, unless they keep doing retreads of previous UCS sets! I'm looking at you, 10240!

I'd want a UCS AT-AT right after the redo of the Millennium Falcon UCS. These things are almost as iconic as the Tie Fighter but 10x as cool.