I got some rubber tracks from BrickLink here the other day, and to my pleasant surprise they fitted nicely over the Wheel 30.4mm D. x 20mm ! :thumbup:

As I am waiting for the last parts for my Container Stacker MOC, I thought I'd make something else in the meantime, and decided to try to make something like a smaller edition of the 8043 B-model tracked loader, using these new rubber tracks.

Although it is somewhat similar to the aforementioned 8043 B-model, it is built from the bottom up using just my imagination, in the course of a couple of days. (My girlfriend is celebrating easter abroad with her family, so I have plenty of time to be creative :grin: )

This is the first time I've used studded construction in a MOC since I came out of my dark ages (Albeit just in the lower chassis), and a lot of memories came back to me from doing that! :cry_happy:

Anyway; this is the result:

dsc_0066.jpg

The yellow bucket is from my old 8862 Backhoe from way back in the day.

Both the driving and the other functions are quite quick, and a lot of fun to play with.

It uses PF-M motors for all four functions, and PF LED lights for playing at night when the power is out,

The construction is very sturdy, if you for instance push down on the bucket, the mini LA wil start to slip before the rest will start to wobble or bend noticably.

dsc_0067.jpg

The back end comes off easily, and hides a lot of the wiring.

The battery box can be removed after pulling out two Axle 4 with stop from below.

dsc_0068.jpg

I "cheated" a little with the digger apparatus, by making the entire arm a sort of four bar linkage (or whatever it's called), so the geometry (and thereby the bucket) stays the same for the entire travel of the LAs. This is probably not very true to real life, but it is a lot easier to create. When I made my Swingloader, I think 50 % of the time I used building that thing, was figuring out a good linkage for the tipping function.

dsc_0069.jpg

As you can see, the tipping works really well. :thumbup:

dsc_0070.jpg

dsc_0071.jpg

A view from the bottom.

You can see the axles for removing the battery box, as well as the gear train. Different speeds can be achieved by using different gear ratios.

dsc_0072.jpg

dsc_0073.jpg

dsc_0074.jpg

I spent a couple of hours yesterday to build the entire model in LDD, and it turned out 99,9% accurate, I used "illegal" building techniques on two occasions. One you can see in the above two pictures (attachment of the rear mudguards.

The other is where the IR Receivers are attached (I had to use one of these 32000.gif in LDD, instead of one ot these 42003.gif, which is used in the real life model.

If anyoneone wants to build this, just shoot me a PM with your e-mail, and I will send you the .lxf file.

The model has just over 600 pieces.

And here is a video of it in action:

D3K that looks like a really good quick moc. And your model shows how usefull the small la can be, which I don't have any of together with the new small turnable(both parts are in my view some of the most impontant newer technic pieces). Which mean that is about time I soon either buys new stuff(read big technic sets) or gets shopping on BL, it is easter after all(I don't celebrate it at all being an atheist - but my familiy and friend does).

Nice. I have a yellow bucket also. Is the black bucket i've seen larger than the old yellow one?

H

It looks very good. :classic:

I would of made the front a bit better ,it is a bit square.

Thank you! I would have made it a bit more rounded, but my supply of studded bricks is limited to the most basic of shapes and colours :sweet:

Good job, looks great

Nice tracked loader :thumbup: .

Thank you very much! :classic:

I don't celebrate it at all being an atheist - but my familiy and friend does

I will celebrate later this week (by celebrate I mean go snowboarding and drink alcohol). I too am an atheist :classic:

Nice. I have a yellow bucket also. Is the black bucket i've seen larger than the old yellow one?

The black bucket seen in most recent sets (eg 8455 and 8043) is quite a lot bigger than the yellow one, yes, The black one is 10 x 18 studs, whereas the yellow one is 8 x 14. There is also a smaller black one at 8 x 10 studs.

Did some modifications this evening..

It hit me that when the digger stays level like it does from top to bottom, a forklift mod would be perfect! :grin:

So, I made a QD universal mounting solution to be able to change between different equipment! :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is what it looks like:

dsc_0076.jpg

Very simple, but works like a charm!

Forklift mode:

dsc_0078.jpg

For those with an eye for detail; yes, there is a small hook and a winch on the front of the loader now:

dsc_0079.jpg

When the digger or forklift are used, it stays nicely right there!

But then, of course it has a use as well!

dsc_0080.jpg

dsc_0081.jpg

All the stuff :

dsc_0077.jpg

Although the different equipment uses somewhat different solutions to attach, the QD interface works with all of them :thumbup:

LDD file will be updated with this new design.

Although it is somewhat similar to the aforementioned 8043 B-model, it is built from the bottom up using just my imagination, in the course of a couple of days. (My girlfriend is celebrating easter abroad with her family, so I have plenty of time to be creative :grin: )

I know the feeling :wink: . the MOC looks great, what bucket did you use?

tim

On 3/26/2013 at 5:50 PM, D3K said:

Did some modifications this evening..

It hit me that when the digger stays level like it does from top to bottom, a forklift mod would be perfect! :grin:

So, I made a QD universal mounting solution to be able to change between different equipment! :thumbup::thumbup:

This is what it looks like:

Very simple, but works like a charm!

Forklift mode:

For those with an eye for detail; yes, there is a small hook and a winch on the front of the loader now:

When the digger or forklift are used, it stays nicely right there!

But then, of course it has a use as well!

All the stuff :

dsc_0077.jpg

Although the different equipment uses somewhat different solutions to attach, the QD interface works with all of them :thumbup:

LDD file will be updated with this new design.

Awesome design. Where can we find the this updated ldd file for this MOC? Thanks

Let's not revive this 4 year old topic any more.

I will leave this open if OP can provide the answer to ldd question.