Sign in to follow this  
darkboy101089

Need ideas for a gearbox.

I'm currently working on a Lamborghini Aventador. I need ideas for a sequential gearbox. I have sheepo's 7+R gearbox built, but its too big. I also tried a rotary sequential gearbox by DurianObried from a video on youtube, but it can not handle any torque. I did build it and tried to improve it, but its not working out so far.

Here is the link

I wanted to know how the Sheepo 5+R Defender 110 work. Can anyone show me some detailed pictures of the completed gearbox? I just want to know how it shifts sequentially.

If anyone is interested in the rotary sequential gearbox I can show a few photos of how to make it.

8591051631_f880cc4947_b.jpg8592154764_e98386af7d_b.jpg

8592160192_2f4426f708_b.jpg

Here are 3 pictures of what i currently have. Third picture is an unfinished 3 speed automatic gearbox inspired by Sariel. I took it apart to find ways to reinforce it.

Try mine, its way smallrr than the sheepo's one even if its based on the same concept

Are you planning on running some type of motor through that?

Or is it just to change the gears?

Thats just the selecting mechanism

This is what I have so far. It is a little too long.

8592957757_a400177de3_b.jpg

8592964447_dcc5fce86b_b.jpg

Most of the idea still comes from Sheepo's Bugatti 7+R gearbox.

Edited by darkboy101089

tonight i had an idea to make a 4+R sequential smaller than my 3+R....unfortunately now i have to go to work but this evening im gonna start making some tests on Ldraw and probably ill post something :)

tonight i had an idea to make a 4+R sequential smaller than my 3+R....unfortunately now i have to go to work but this evening im gonna start making some tests on Ldraw and probably ill post something :)

And then can i use it if it works? I could possibly test it if you can't get to your Lego if you want :wink:

sure my friend!

once I'll finish the Lancia I'll release instructions for free, so there's no point at not showing the parts before it comes out :P

as soon as i get the gearbox done I'll post it and you'll be my tester lol

I came up with a better gear change rachet mechanism for my Koenigsegg that I have just finished, by turning the gearbox over, this can all be kept as low as possible in the chassis. Nice work on yours so far though.

koenigsegg_ccx_-_working_file04.jpg

sure my friend!

once I'll finish the Lancia I'll release instructions for free, so there's no point at not showing the parts before it comes out :P

as soon as i get the gearbox done I'll post it and you'll be my tester lol

Okie Dokie, I just hope I have the right parts for your incoming design :laugh:

Pvdb, do you have an LDD file, or some detailed pics that you could send me? I really need a manual sequential, for my latest MOC. It's a custom Ford F150, so it has upgraded features from the 2013 model, such as height adjustable suspension. The main thing is that I have a sequential gearbox, so currently I'm using Sheepo's 4 speed, but I would like a manual, with a few more gears. If you could help it would be great.

I really hope i can make it only using ldraw

Hopefully, always good to test though, we should take this to PM and stop spamming this topic :wink:

Pvdb, do you have an LDD file, or some detailed pics that you could send me? I really need a manual sequential, for my latest MOC. It's a custom Ford F150, so it has upgraded features from the 2013 model, such as height adjustable suspension. The main thing is that I have a sequential gearbox, so currently I'm using Sheepo's 4 speed, but I would like a manual, with a few more gears. If you could help it would be great.

Here is the LDD file http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PvdB/Koenigsegg/koenigsegg_ccx_-_sequential_gearbox.ldr

It has some of the Koenigsegg Chassis around it, just strip it down in LDraw. Have Fun

Thank you very much.

Next on the list of things to do, is mount all the parts I've designed onto a chassis. Why do I do things in such a bad order.

To everyone who makes these sequential gearboxes, congratulations, because the thought of designing one baffles me. Keep up the good work.

That link just come up with all the coding. I don't know what it means, so any ideas?

Edited by cgg199

Copy and Paste it all into Notepad, then save as Gearbox.ldr

You should then be able to load that into LDraw

It always seems strange to me when the gearbox takes up a third of the vehicle. In my opinion, until the gear boxes are made smaller, their space and complexity outweighs the benefit added to the model.

yeah i completely agree....thats the reason why im fighting with Lcad since 3 hours :D im trying to make the "final" one lol

It always seems strange to me when the gearbox takes up a third of the vehicle. In my opinion, until the gear boxes are made smaller, their space and complexity outweighs the benefit added to the model.

The challenge here is to try to make the gearbox as small as possible. The most diffcult task in making any good technic car is the gearbox. I think without new parts manufactured specifically for the sequential gearbox this is as small as it gets. I have been looking around for about a year now, but no possible solution to make it any smaller.

I think that most of the mocs now out there all have the same basic internals like the standard suspension and 5+R manual non sequential gearbox. It seems a bit boring to me. All they really did is take the same chassis and fit a new skin. I really admire Sheepos and Sariel's work. Most of their mocs are radical and has lots of new ideas instead of the same base that many people normally build their mocs on.

Super cars are boring to me in general, including sequential transmissions, they aren't new. But to say that this is as small as it gets is probably not true since all these designs use practically the same method.

Unless I have missed something, they don't seem all that inovative over the original. I think when someone really turns the problem on its head, they will come up with a New, much more compact design. Similar to the way this design has been proven and beaten.

To me, I just don't see the point in having a car that's all transmission. Seems like you should just make a transmission model in that case. Never the less, good work. :)

Lol, what good is a car if it cant move? Why not collect diecast models instead of legos. The point of technic is learn the mechanical engineering not art. For you to think think that sequential gearbox is boring must mean your not in to engineering. I dont understand why you are even posting here.

Legos have their limits, its impossible to make a sturdy gearbox without either the 5+R or the linear method. Unless they have new parts which i doubt they will.

Edited by darkboy101089

I didn't mean to offend you. Of course Lego has given me a life long love for engineering, that is why we are all here. I just wanted to share my opinion and hopefully spark some new direction.

To me the artistic side is equally important. Your work is art. It's mechanical art, and the super car piece tends to have a very large component dedicated to the transmission. Being a lover of engineering I ask myself, is this an efficient use of space and weight, cost and benefit? Since the transmission has little practical application; other than maybe a high/low gear, I would rather see mocs not stress about the transmission so much.

I'm glad you are so pumped on engineering, me too. I've ridden a motorcycle for many years and built two hand rolled vehicles. Personally, i like an H pattern shifter. When you're coming in to a corner hard, you very often want to skip over gears. Also, without an indicator, sequential boxes require you to remember which gear you're in. With the H pattern, I can just feel it.

I'm just very talkative tonight. Take care!