SkaForHire

A Call to Arms: The Battle of Queenscross

A CALL TO ARMS! The Battle of Queenscross

(This is a separate call for soldiers from the one in the Kaliphlin thread a month or two back. Those soldiers were used for something else entirely, but if they want to make a “stop” in Queenscross first, it can be arranged)

In all directions the messengers rode, evading Victor’s forces where possible. In every town and village they read their message from Paulos MacLean, General of the allied forces at Queenscross.

It states:

“Come ye brothers and sisters, for one of Revolword’s greatest armies have come to Queenscross to force their way into the south. We need any available soldiers, adventurers, sorcerers, to make haste to Western Queencross immediately. No money can be awarded, but glory in troves shall surely follow the victor of this battle. The cities beyond the Arkbri River lay in danger if the mighty span as Queenscross falls into the hands of Revolword. Moreover, this is one of the largest assemblies of men under the traitor’s banner in all of historical. Now would be a fortunate time to strike them from this world. So, I Paulus MacLean, call to every able bodied person to make their way to Queenscross. We can not let it fall. ”

(IF you don’t need caught up, skip to next section)

The Road So Far:

A few months back, Victor splithis forces into three known columns and marched them towards Mpya Stedor, Queenscross, and Albion. The first force was repelled by DaMaximus. The second force waited about 50 miles outside of Queenscross, no one knowing their true plan. The third force, we Kaliphinites have lost track of, and hope that Avalonia has repelled these foes.

The force moving towards Queenscross is assumed to have their ambitions set on taking the great bridge over the Arkbri River in that city. It is the fastest way to move troops and leads up the capital road to where that road scales the Great Escarpment. This is one of the few easier ways into the heartland of Kaliphlin, and the innocent oasis dwellers beyond. The final defense once at the escarpment is the Jackal’s Teeth. Between Queenscross and the Jackal’s Teeth, Kaliphlin has been well protected over the last few centuries, until now. Queenscross was partially decimated by the Elemental menace 8 months back, when the Victor crisis began. The eastern half of the city was almost completely annihilated, making the bridge a poorly defended target, and weakening the first defenses of Kaliphlin’s interior.

8581416656_7ca56e2b5c_z.jpg

DSC_2031 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Dugal MacLean gathered an army to counter Victor’s at Queenscross, and with the blessing of the city’s leaders (the Triumvirate), he was made General of all Allied Forces defending the city. Between Dugal and the Triumvirate, it was decided that the Bridge would be the fall back point of the battle and the last defense of the city. However, Victor’s troops stopped 50 miles from Queenscross to gather reinforcements and to try and feign movements to throw the allies off. One of those feigns two months ago led to the ambush and death of Dugal, and his brother Paulos took over as commander.

The Plan

Meanwhile, DaMaximus had defeated the Drow threat to Mpya Stedor, and this allowed him to dispatch the King Dragonius XXV of Drakrydar and a good army to Queenscross. Paulos and Dragonius decided that the king’s main force would ride south on the East Bank of the Arkbri River and keep the enemy army from fording the river south of the bridge. It yet remains to be seen if the King will stay in Queenscross for the final defense or lead his own men in the defensive fight south of the city. Also, with the Southern Lions freed up, Gex Marmota dispatched them to Queenscross for support. Meeting with Paulos, the Triumvirate, and Dragonius, the Southern Lion’s commander, Count Darzag told them of his orders to protect the Jackal’s Teeth, which were currently undermanned. The leaders decided not to put all of their hopes on the back of the battle of Queenscross, and the Southern Lions moved to reinforce the Jackal’s Teeth. Darzag left a small contingent of trusted Lions to act as a personal bodyguard for Paulos in battle.

A few weeks passed with little difference in the enemy’s forces 50 miles away, they gained men, they lost men to attrition, they sent some small armies off to scavenge, but just last night a scout came back reporting that something was happening. Victor’s forces were dividing into two, but the much larger force was heading straight for the city. The second force seemed to fall to the Southwest. A member of the Triumvirate had realized what had happened first. “They waited until the wet season when we would be least defended, and the river its highest.” He told Paulos. Durring the wet season men had to tend to their irrigation systems back on the surrounding farms, and urbanites had to make sure the floodwalls were holding. Many conscripted men had already left the allied forces to tend to the needs of their homesteads. Warriors were needed badly, and the estimate was that they only had just under a week to get them! Paulos sent out a message to all those who would listen, pleading for support.

How this works:

This will be very similar to the Battle of Khordeem, my brother and I ran last year. Basically, the battle will be fought out as a wargame, using rules that my brother and I have been working on for a LONG time. (This is also a playtest for us.) It will take a few days to get all the way through, but should prove to be epic.

The plan is simple. The call has gone out by raven , magic and other means to the far ends of Historica. Help is needed at the battle of Queenscross. If you wish to join the battle, send your small troop by mage, boat, or land to Queenscross. Some may make it for the start of the battle, and others might join in the thick of it as reinforcements.

Anyone that signs up while the battle is still going, we will try to get into the battle.

All we need is a pledge of men (1-10, although 10 may be hard to represent on the battlefield; the ideal number is squads of 5). I will try to represent your figures as closely as possible, but it might be hard to accurately represent some heroes or your actual men’s uniforms. (we can always chalk it up to artist’s interpretation)

We will then give your men (or women!) stats and bring them into battle. They will then fight in the battle to see if they can help repel Victor’s forces. If your hero or your men are known for a certain weapon style or ability, include it in your pledge. We will try to accommodate this in your character’s stats. You may want to also show us a picture of who you are sending, if you want us to try and replicate them.

WARNING: The soldiers you send may die – if you send a hero, you might want to tell us you would prefer they fell wounded or are likely to retreat. It is all luck of the dice (much like the tournaments that have been held)

The battle won’t start until next weekend, but I will keep checking the forums for new recruits and can add people all the way until the battle is done – probably (next)Monday morning. So if you don’t make it before the battle, sign up at any point in the weekend too.

Anyway, I hope some of you will heed Paulos’s call to arms and join us for the Battle of Queenscross

One last thing, I am looking into a way of possibly setting up a live feed that would allow builders to check in and see what their heroes are doing. Also… I might even start up a twitter account for the battle where you can get live updates and suggest maneuvers for your soldiers or to the commander. At least that is something I am looking into doing that could make it quite fun and interactive.

UPDATE: For better or for worse, I have set up a twitter account for the battle. it is @skalego

Edited by SkaForHire

Word from Aturl Prndrn, Nestlands Minister of External Affairs,

The High Guard of Guin Nol have been spoiling for a fight. Captain Hugh Hos and three of this most trusted men (all that can be spared in these troubling times) are on their way. They are excellent pike-men and quite accurate with a crossbow. Enclosed are the most accurate depictions of the four that could be found.

8387091903_9bdf24ef77.jpg

High Guard 1 by gedren_y, on Flickr

8388178040_753265ac6a.jpg

High Guard 2 by gedren_y, on Flickr

My sigfig and a few more soldiers (I will try to get some togheter and photographed in a few days) will be sent to the battle. I'd prefer if my sigfig didn't die, but he can of course be wounded if he loses in the battle (which already gives me a MOC idea for MOCs)

I can repeat my question from the Kaliphlin thread here (more appropriate thread), when is the deadline for posting our figs?

Probably just my English falling a bit short, but does "next Monday" refer to April 1 or April 8?

Yeah, silly me not giving dates! April 8 is when I plan to have the battle over. So up to that point. I plan on starting it on Thursday night, MARCH 28th (I am CST -9 GMT I believe) So whoever I have before the start will be there at the beginning, and everyone that signs up after that will come in as reinforcements throughout the battle.

to CBB - I have a decent amount of Lions, Dragons, and crowns (including all the factions that ran with that year of Castle). I have some bulls, and a little bit of Ninjago. I have some KK2 purple and red knights (sorry no blue Gedren, but I will figure something out for you). In the LOTR sets, I have a few of the Rohan troops (eomir (sp?) and the green one.) along with some elves and most of the dwarves from the Hobbit. for CMF, I have a decent amount of the evil knights and the white knights (probably 10 of each). I think I have a few extra Elves, Romans and Spartans also. I have at least one of almost every CMF since series 5, and I have a lot of series 2 and 3 also. I hope that gives you a palette to work with.

Edited by SkaForHire

Yeah, silly me not giving dates! April 8 is when I plan to have the battle over. So up to that point. I plan on starting it on Thursday night, April 28th (I am CST -9 GMT I believe) ...

Hmm... sorry to nitpick but how can you end before you start? :tongue: Anyway, I will have a couple figs, I'll try to work with stuff it sounds like you have!

I am quite new around here, so I do not know what to do. I would like to send some of my soldiers into battle, but how do I do that? Can I do it here? Please let me know.

I'll be home Friday, so I will send 5 (or 2 groups of 5 men) then :classic:

Well, for those of Drakrydar, it's really easy as they are based on the dragon knights from a decade ago. They are most effective when they are actually riding a dragon, but also on foot, they are really dangerous.

And for the rest, I will see what I find Friday :classic: (probably crownies: 2 crossbowmen, an Alleenridder (captain on horse) & 2 swordsmen)

I am quite new around here, so I do not know what to do. I would like to send some of my soldiers into battle, but how do I do that? Can I do it here? Please let me know.

Have you joined a guild yet? I don't remember that but I may well have missed something. After you join a guild, then all you have to do is post a picture/description of your army here. I hope that helped you, if you'd like to know more about the guilds, don't hesitate to ask!

It's okay of you kill these characters and have them stripped of their armor and weapons, just have them take out as many of the enemy as plausable first. The Guin Nol High Guard wear white under their blue armor, and Capain Hugh Hos' hair is grey. The captain's head is from the Fire Nation Soldier (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?M=ava004&in=S), so he can be lying face down if you don't have him.

Yeah, silly me not giving dates! April 8 is when I plan to have the battle over. So up to that point. I plan on starting it on Thursday night, April 28th (I am CST -9 GMT I believe) So whoever I have before the start will be there at the beginning, and everyone that signs up after that will come in as reinforcements throughout the battle.

to CBB - I have a decent amount of Lions, Dragons, and crowns (including all the factions that ran with that year of Castle). I have some bulls, and a little bit of Ninjago. I have some KK2 purple and red knights (sorry no blue Gedren, but I will figure something out for you). In the LOTR sets, I have a few of the Rohan troops (eomir (sp?) and the green one.) along with some elves and most of the dwarves from the Hobbit. for CMF, I have a decent amount of the evil knights and the white knights (probably 10 of each). I think I have a few extra Elves, Romans and Spartans also. I have at least one of almost every CMF since series 5, and I have a lot of series 2 and 3 also. I hope that gives you a palette to work with.

Ok, then I'll try to make a force this weekend at the latest.

Save one Eomer helmet, a lion knight breastplate and a dark red spartan cloak for my sigfig please!

For the torso you can use any torso with grey/dark grey or dark red arms, preferrable with grey handsgloves in combat. For the full armor rendition I did earlier (here or here) I used an armored lion knight, so if you at least have a couple of armored legs to spare you will be closer to the original. I think the smirking face I've used is quite common in the Kingdoms line. At least I have a few, but you can use any face witout a beard (preferrably one with a fighting face in the battle :wink:).

His weapon of choice is a longsword and he usually uses a round shield (from the CMF gladiator), but he is proficient in many weapons. He usually rides an ordinary brown (LotR) horse.

For the other figs, I will be happy to try to make something you can recreate relatively close.

Do you have any PoP persian helmets? And what about neo-falcon shields from Kingdoms Joust? I was thinking of making a force of falcon-ish Kaliplin soldiers (pearl dark gray persian helmets) belonging to the Kaliphlin mercenary captain Ediz Falconi (pearl gold persian helmet), who is one of the side chararcters I've already created for my sigfig but not had time to introduce with any MOC yet. It would also be fine to use old falcon shields and/or other helmets if that suits your collection better.

But if you prefer, I can send another of my unintroduced side characters (Sir Derrik of Groenby, an Avalonian knight) with a few dragon knight/CMF elf based soldiers instead. If our Avalonian friends are not already sending all the reinforcements your collection can support :wink: )

Otherwise I could also make a few lion based soldiers, which would give me a reason to create another side character. Strangely enough, I’ve found it hardest to create interesting lion knight based characters except for my sigfig (or because of it?).

Edited by Gideon

Hmm... sorry to nitpick but how can you end before you start? :tongue: Anyway, I will have a couple figs, I'll try to work with stuff it sounds like you have!

Time travel. Sorry, fixed. You're lucky I like you. :tongue:

Welcome to GoH! First things first, you need to create a signature figure and introduce him/her and join one of the the four join-able guilds. It does not have to be an elaborate story, but we always appreciate those. That "officially" makes you part of the Guilds of Historica project.

This is an unofficial "event" (I don't have a better term for this, sorry!) that I am running. It is an interactive "event" for the whole community, and anyone is welcomed to send forces to join the battle. There is no prizes or titles or anything like that involved, but it will be in good fun, and help advance our storyline in the project. So again, all are welcomed to join.

Once you have made your sig fig is made and you have joined a guild. You can send whoever you want to the battle. You can just give me a few names, or light description, or maybe a photo of the 1-10 men you are sending. Please note any weapon styles / special abilities / characteristics that you want me to consider when I assign them stats for the wargame. Then, on the field of battle, the commander of the good guy side will do all the movements and "general" the battle. He will move your men, and I will report back on how they did.

Also, I think I am going to be able to create a twitter account where you all can suggest moves and hear updates during the battle... just have to look into that. I am going to try to make this battle as interactive as possible.

Ok, then I'll try to make a force this weekend at the latest.

Save one Eomer helmet, a lion knight breastplate and a dark red spartan cloak for my sigfig please!

For the torso you can use any torso with grey/dark grey or dark red arms, preferrable with grey handsgloves in combat. For the full armor rendition I did earlier (here or here) I used an armored lion knight, so if you at least have a couple of armored legs to spare you will be closer to the original. I think the smirking face I've used is quite common in the Kingdoms line. At least I have a few, but you can use any face witout a beard (preferrably one with a fighting face in the battle :wink:).

His weapon of choice is a longsword and he usually uses a round shield (from the CMF gladiator), but he is proficient in many weapons. He usually rides an ordinary brown (LotR) horse.

For the other figs, I will be happy to try to make something you can recreate relatively close.

Do you have any PoP persian helmets? And what about neo-falcon shields from Kingdoms Joust? I was thinking of making a force of falcon-ish Kaliplin soldiers (pearl dark gray persian helmets) belonging to the Kaliphlin mercenary captain Ediz Falconi (pearl gold persian helmet), who is one of the side chararcters I've already created for my sigfig but not had time to introduce with any MOC yet. It would also be fine to use old falcon shields and/or other helmets if that suits your collection better.

But if you prefer, I can send another of my unintroduced side characters (Sir Derrik of Groenby, an Avalonian knight) with a few dragon knight/CMF elf based soldiers instead. If our Avalonian friends are not already sending all the reinforcements your collection can support :wink: )

Otherwise I could also make a few lion based soldiers, which would give me a reason to create another side character. Strangely enough, I’ve found it hardest to create interesting lion knight based characters except for my sigfig (or because of it?).

Gideon's parts are here, and I can replicate him pretty closely. As for PoP helmets, I have a few, but those are already on Eastgate's troops I believe, but I might be able to "substitute" something else on them, also Without opening a few more BoA (which I will do eventually, but jsut have not been able to find time to sort pieces from other sets yet either), I might not have enough for a whole squad. I have an unopened Kingdoms joust, I don't know how many shields it comes with, but I would entertain opening it to get at the parts if there were enough shields in there for all your troops. This may or may not appeal to you, but I have a bag of 15-20 black head-cloths (not turbans) from PoP that are currently unused.

As for Avalonians -- I currently have plenty of dragon torsos, so anyone that uses those will be well represented.

Edited by SkaForHire

I'll be sendig some troops too, without my hero though, he's still in a monastery recovering from the blows he recieved lately!

Can I sign up here? I would like to send some soldiers, it's okay if they die. 4 crownies crosbowarchers. I hope they will help.

you first have to sign up in the guild of your taste and declare you alligience there!

where do I do that? I want to sign up here.

I will send 4 spearmen on horses, so that is a total of 8 soldiers.

Edited by jeroenaa

where do I do that? I want to sign up here.

I will send 4 spearmen on horses, so that is a total of 8 soldiers.

You will need to go to one of the guild topics pinned at the top of the page, preferably the Mitgardian one, of course, write yourself a short intro and present your sigfig (signiture figure, this is the person who you will "be" in GoH).

Arfelan will answer this call, and spare some troops on these dire times.

On the way. :knight:

Steen Larsson sends his best axemen, people from the untamed slopes of Mt.Mitgard, hardened by the harsh conditions of the northern mountains and therefore fierce as Beserks!

sscn2554.jpg

Glad to see so much support - a word to Mitgardians with more "classic" Mitgard look, these will probably be the hardest for me to replicate because of the lack of green arms, so i apologize if the artist totally wrecks your likeness!

Also, I am glad that we are pulling in new members from this. Jeroenaa, you are welcome to send troops, we just need to know which guild you belong to first! :) I already have the soldiers set aside for you, whenever you introduce your character figure. Remember, join whatever guild you feel comfortable with... all four are fighting on the same side in this battle.

Finally, a clarification - I set up the twitter account (@skalego), this will only be used for live updates for the battle as it is going on. All battle reports and pictures (other than a few crappy phone pics maybe) will be posted here. So you do not have to feel obligated to follow the feed or send in suggestions if you don't want to.

I can send a single hero that has stats equal to one squad?

That is how I tend to balance it out... if you send 10, they most likely will be veteran status, which would make them a bit stronger than the average human minifig, and the leader would get an additional stat bonus. If you send one guy, especially a named character, he would probably have more wounds (the amount of "blows" he can take until dying.) and stronger stats in battle including incredible feats like extra attacks when wounded, unable to feel fear, etc... All of which you could ask for when you tell me about the guy you are sending. For example, the last time we ran one of these (linked in the first post) Jakon sent himself and three other named characters, their stats were much stronger than Khamar Ibn Hakkad's unnamed soldiers. Although his soldiers did have better stats than the average grunt because he said specifically what these soldiers did (they were specialized lancers). Massa's (House Kalores) men had no details given at all, so they were basic veteran soldiers. Ecc's troops were small in number (3) and unnamed, so they became elite soldiers.

I hope that helps describe how I assign stats. Also, I was thinking of you, and I have set aside the figures to create immortals already, if you so choose to use them. So you have first dibs on those boar / evil knights.

On another note... it is sad that only 2/5ths of those who participated last summer are still active GoH members.

The little girl is a necromancer that can reanimate klugg.

Give her high movment so she can run away to saftey.

Klugg is pretty fearless because he knows Carol Anne can bring him back to life.

They claim no guild.

My HERO UNIT

ska_copy.jpg