Sign in to follow this  
Hey Joe

8878 vs 88000 Battery Box(es) for Trains

Hi, hope it's ok to start a new topic about this but I searched a didn't find a suitable, current thread related solely to trains. The best PF battery threads are several years old now and are mostly geared toward Technic.

I'm mulling over whether to get the 8878 Rechargeable Battery Box (US$ 50) or use the 88000 Battery Box (US$ 13 and included in many sets) and then use rechargeable batteries in that. I have a young child so I don't want to use LiPo rechargeables in 88000 (because of possible safety issues) but from what I've read, Lego has protection circuitry built into their 8878 LiPo Rechargeable Battery Box.

If I go with the 88000 then those 3rd generation Eneloop NiMH rechargeables seem to be the way to go. I don't really mind swapping out batteries but they only deliver 7.2v.

Apparently Lego claims that their 8878 Rechargeable Battery Box delivers 7.4v so that seems to be a selling point but is it noticeable in any way?

What are your thoughts on this? What do you use for your PF trains? Do you use both 8878 and 88000 with NiMH rechargeables and do you notice any performance differences between the two?

Personally I'm not planning on having any monster-long trains or hills but who knows what the future has in store?

Ok, thanks in advance, Joe

Edited by bjtpro

I tend to use the 88000 battery box with rechargables. I have also converted a PF cable to use 2 cell lipos used in RC planes (coupled with a bit of cicuit that complains if voltage goes too low) That way one is not forced limited to the 4x8x4 form factor. I have seen no real differences between recharcheable batteries and 2cell lipos...

I also use rechargeable AAAs with the 88000 boxes, and I have one 8878. The main difference I've noticed between the two is that with the 88000 the train will start slowing down as the batteries drain, where the 8878 gives a consistent speed the whole way through and then suddenly stops.

Not sure what trains you're going to power, but I've been much happier with my Emerald Night with the 8878 box, as it seemed to drain AAA rechargeables much faster (though I may have had a case of older batteries loosing their ability to hold a charge). The Maersk runs fine on AAA batteries, but it's somewhat of a pain to have to pull the box out to get the batteries out to recharge them. But I can live with it. $13 plus batteries is a bit easier to swallow than $50, but I am glad I bought one of those.

Edited by domboy

I use the rechargeable AAA batteries or rechargeable C (Or is it D?) batteries depending on if it is 9v or 4.5V. I have never run a train long enough to have them run out on me yet. I do tend to keep them topped up though and have some spare just in case, I use Energiser ones, I have no idea what they are made of or what type they are from that perspective. I just know they work fine. I have thought about buying the more expensive one but it is just way too expensive. If it were just double the price I would, but at 4 X the price (In the UK.) it is not even going to have a look in.

...but it's somewhat of a pain to have to pull the box out to get the batteries out to recharge them.

That's my complaint too. Well, not exactly pulling out the battery box, but getting the batteries out of the battery box.

That's my complaint too. Well, not exactly pulling out the battery box, but getting the batteries out of the battery box.

I own 2 of each, or is it 3 88000's...Anyway, I dont bother screwing back in the screws on the bottom. I usually will have the box easily removable to change batteries and unscrewing screws isnt something I find fun when I want to run a train.

But going back to the issue, I find the rechargeable box better in length of good operation and ease of use. I prefer to build a battery box into a loco instead of leaving it to later to fit it somewhere.

Thanks for your insights, it's helpful.

I also use rechargeable AAAs with the 88000 boxes, and I have one 8878. The main difference I've noticed between the two is that with the 88000 the train will start slowing down as the batteries drain, where the 8878 gives a consistent speed the whole way through and then suddenly stops.

Not sure what trains you're going to power, but I've been much happier with my Emerald Night with the 8878 box, as it seemed to drain AAA rechargeables much faster (though I may have had a case of older batteries loosing their ability to hold a charge). The Maersk runs fine on AAA batteries, but it's somewhat of a pain to have to pull the box out to get the batteries out to recharge them. But I can live with it. $13 plus batteries is a bit easier to swallow than $50, but I am glad I bought one of those.

I have the Maersk but haven't opened it yet. I should probably get the 8878 for it.

I use the rechargeable AAA batteries or rechargeable C (Or is it D?) batteries depending on if it is 9v or 4.5V. I have never run a train long enough to have them run out on me yet. I do tend to keep them topped up though and have some spare just in case, I use Energiser ones, I have no idea what they are made of or what type they are from that perspective. I just know they work fine. I have thought about buying the more expensive one but it is just way too expensive. If it were just double the price I would, but at 4 X the price (In the UK.) it is not even going to have a look in.

Yeah, I don't blame you. 4X is steep. If you include the cost of the rechargeable batteries you need for 88000 then 8878 is only about 2X in the US so $50 doesn't seem crazy but I do like to watch my pennies. Seems like I mostly watch them fly out of my pocket when it comes to Lego! :cry_sad:

I own 2 of each, or is it 3 88000's...Anyway, I dont bother screwing back in the screws on the bottom. I usually will have the box easily removable to change batteries and unscrewing screws isnt something I find fun when I want to run a train.

But going back to the issue, I find the rechargeable box better in length of good operation and ease of use. I prefer to build a battery box into a loco instead of leaving it to later to fit it somewhere.

Is 8878 smaller than 88000? I didn't realize that.

Cheers, Joe

I have both, and I use both.

For the 88000, I prefer to use rechargeable AAA batteries (not only because you can recharge them when they're empty, but I

also prefer the slightly lower voltage since this helps to prevent derailings in curves. I suspect that for heavy trains,

the AAA rechargeable batteries might last longer on 1 charge than AAA alkaline's but I have not tested this so I'm not

sure of that).

On a related note, one thing I've been wondering about the 8878 is how does it perform over time. Has anyone seen the capacity degrade? If so, any indication that it is correlated with time or with use?

On a related note, one thing I've been wondering about the 8878 is how does it perform over time. Has anyone seen the capacity degrade? If so, any indication that it is correlated with time or with use?

Well any rechargeable battery will loose its charge strength over time. So its bound to happen. But I have not noticed anything...but I dont run my trains often enough to see any difference. If anything its probably with use. The more times it is recharged the less any rechargeable battery will hold. I think thats how it works..

I tend to use the 88000 battery box with rechargables. I have also converted a PF cable to use 2 cell lipos used in RC planes (coupled with a bit of cicuit that complains if voltage goes too low) That way one is not forced limited to the 4x8x4 form factor. I have seen no real differences between recharcheable batteries and 2cell lipos...

Hi Frank,

Can you detail your low voltage complainer and maybe put up some pictures? I'd like to do the same thing (I have some small shorty packs and some 2C saddle packs I'd like to use on my train setups.

Thanks.

That's a good question and I'd forgotten to include it in my original post.

According to Wikipedia; LiPo manufacturers such as Sanyo claim 500 charging cycles before capacity is reduced to 80%. The latest Eneloop NiMH batteries can do 1500 apparently.

When was 8878 first put on the market? Has anyone recharged it 500 times yet?

Thanks, Joe