Slobey

Concentric Castle Moc WIP

Hi all,

I thought I'd share a WIP moc I have on the go... I've been planning and amassing bricks for about a year now and have finally started the build. It will eventually be a concentric castle with 4 corner towers of approx 45-55 bricks high as well as battlements running between at approx 30 bricks high. The build will be over 9 48x48 baseplates (3 wide by 3 deep). Inside the walls will include barracks, civilian residence, great hall and kitchens. I'm part of the way through the north west tower (gate house being on the south wall).

8560668179_cc37927541.jpg

North West Tower External- WIP by slobey79, on Flickr

8560667647_0bbec9b627.jpg

North West Tower Overview- WIP by slobey79, on Flickr

8560668447_f3779d55ce.jpg

North West Tower Interior- WIP by slobey79, on Flickr

8560667903_359481fcf2.jpg

North West Tower- 1st Floor WIP by slobey79, on Flickr

This is my planning "sketch" I did in LDD. A lot of the details have changed and will change but it shows the overall look and scale I'm going for

8561801174_efbf02e8b4_z.jpg

LDD Castle by slobey79, on Flickr

Sometimes I think I've bitten off more than I can chew but when a new bricklink order arrives the motivation kicks in again :classic: It may be a while between updates but I will post photos as

Feedback welcomed

Looks great! It is going to be rather big when finished. I hope you have a great army to occupy this massive structure!

The tower looks very impressive, I especially like how you did the window seat :wub: and circular stair :thumbup:

Going to be one heck of a project :classic:

Wow, looking good so far! I was planning out a build to span 9 32x32's and thought that was huge. The 48x48 will dwarf that!

Thanks for the feedback guys, it will be a slow process I think

Looking good man. Is the castle going to be modular?

To a point, I'm trying to build it so if I do have to move it it will require minimal dismantling and rebuilding.

Very nice! I really like the circular stairway. Looks like it is goung to be a really nice, masive castle.

Looking forward to seeing more as it progresses.

Andy D

Oh wow, this is going to be a project to follow! Apart from the scale, which is, of course, spectacular, I'm impressed by the detail and functionality of the interior--the layout looks very similar to that of real castles that I've visited. I remember staring at the pictures in David Macaulay's Castle for ages as a kid and wishing I could build something similar in LEGO; now I can see it happen. Keep it up!

. I remember staring at the pictures in David Macaulay's Castle for ages as a kid and wishing I could build something similar in LEGO;

It's funny you mention Macaulay's book because that is the main inspiration behind my Moc! I'm trying to go for realism as much as the brick will allow ie. Thicker walls at lower levels and hopefully incorperating all aspects of a working castle...

Hi all,

Mini update: Ground floor & 1st floor are complete, now to move onto the top 3 floors of the tower which will be living areas

A couple of final shots of the 1st floor before it gets covered:

8569011316_71b75894e4_z.jpg

NW tower- 1st floor interior 2 by slobey79, on Flickr

8567912493_6a0fc5e5c7_z.jpg

NW tower- 1st floor interior 1 by slobey79, on Flickr

1st floor covered:

8569008390_d7af92c3e1_z.jpg

NW tower- 1st floor complete 2 by slobey79, on Flickr

8569007200_fec66a4ca8_z.jpg

NW tower- 1st floor complete 1 by slobey79, on Flickr

The balcony will be for entertainment etc in the great hall, the other half will be incorperated into the north curtain wall which will be tackled after the NW tower is complete

8569009290_774f7f743b_z.jpg

NW tower- 1st floor complete 3 by slobey79, on Flickr

3rd floor teaser: I'm playing around with a few ideas:

8567908323_bb3c1da9cc_z.jpg

NW tower- 2nd floor fireplace by slobey79, on Flickr

8567907203_7d932cbdc1_z.jpg

NW tower- 2nd floor 2 by slobey79, on Flickr

Appologies for Carlos the Conquistador who insists on photobombing a lot of my shots.........

8569003834_64ef1f5086_z.jpg

NW tower- 2nd floor 1 by slobey79, on Flickr

Its coming together very nicely, I'm glad you went with modular, its very convenient.

Can definitely see the influence of David Macualay's book :thumbup:

You're doing a great job working with the angles/roundness of the tower :classic:

Can definitely see the influence of David Macualay's book :thumbup:

You're doing a great job working with the angles/roundness of the tower :classic:

Certainly. Also Stephen Fiesty's Cross Section: Castle. The balcony is looking cool, and that stairwell... :wub:

It is indeed a great moc! I like how the circular tower merges with the square (rectangular?) building!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Wow! That staircase is a beaut, and so are the cheese slope windows. I'd love to build something like this for myself.

Wow this is brilliant so far.

Your digital picture look very similar the the original ruins of Bodiam Castle in south england. Every Monty Phyton fan know it ;)

800px-Bodiam-castle-10My8-1197.jpg

Phil

Hi all,

time for a small update: I haven't done much for a while as I have been busy with some non-Lego projects and waiting on Bricklink orders to arrive...

I'm well into the third floor which I'm excited to get completed as it will bring the walls to battlement height (the tower will continue 2 more levels)

8704351370_a122e3b14e_z.jpg

NW tower- 3rd floor outside WIP by slobey79, on Flickr

8704350588_a76e10ccac_z.jpg

NW tower - 3rd floor interior 1 by slobey79, on Flickr

8703229679_a65263ff40_z.jpg

nw tower - 3rd floor interior 2 by slobey79, on Flickr

8703229357_00eda02a82_z.jpg

NW tower 3rd floor interior 3 by slobey79, on Flickr

8703229051_5d4648b088_z.jpg

IMG_0829 by slobey79, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll have a chance over the next 2 weeks to get some more done

Thanks everyone for looking

Looks great, I :wub: how detailed the interior is. Your mottling looks very good too :thumbup: