SwissBrick

Mystery Monorail

Dears,

after the sticker design on the modular Palace Cinema "Mistery on the Monorail", do you think there is a chance that TLC would release one "relatively" soon?

If yes, what would/will it look like?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

I have been thinking that myself! So I have been hopeing for a monorail set so I don't have to pay $300 on a used monorail set of bricklink....

I always thought it was a subtle shout out to the Airport Shuttle set. The look of the monorail on the poster is pretty close.

The movie poster is not a hint to future monorails but more of a shout out to AFOL's and a tribute to the monorails of past.

There will be NO new monorail featuring the old system. It_is_dead_. However, there are plenty of ways to MOc a new one (or just buy the old system as I have)

But the old lightgrey tracks are a thing of the past

The poster is just a shoutout to AFOLs, nice as it is, as Crackerjack noted

I see prices have have really skyrocketed recently :sceptic: I was able to buy a couple 6991 for less than 120euro just a few months ago

There will be NO new monorail featuring the old system. It_is_dead_. However, there are plenty of ways to MOc a new one (or just buy the old system as I have)

But the old lightgrey tracks are a thing of the past

The poster is just a shoutout to AFOLs, nice as it is, as Crackerjack noted

I see prices have have really skyrocketed recently :sceptic: I was able to buy a couple 6991 for less than 120euro just a few months ago

I really wanna buy one of those sets but I don't have a spare $300, they really should bring back monorail...

A LEGO employee (not at a retail store, corporate employee) said to me last year that they will bring back monorail when they bring back Fabuland....never. Dead forever is what i (and many many others) have been told directly from TLG. Unfortunate for us AFOLs, but from what I've read the line didn't sell too well in the first place, so why would they bring it back even if they could? Anyway, there are tons of threads on this discussion already and I have nothing else to add. :classic:

after the sticker design on the modular Palace Cinema "Mistery on the Monorail", do you think there is a chance that TLC would release one "relatively" soon?

Jordan Schwartz who was one of the designers of the Palace Cinema is an AFOL. He was offered an intern position in the Design Lab in Bilund after having applied for a designer position. He probably just likes the old monorail and put it in the poster.

In the past we've been told by LEGO employees that the moulds for the monorail track have been destroyed, and that when surveyed kids in the target market find monorails boring, so we are unlikely to see a new monorail.

Thanks for the answers :classic: ,

did not know (or search..) about the previous threads on the subject..Got an answer now, and think 1974 is right, let's try to MOC one... (Why did I give away my childhood's Legos (incl. red monorail).. :hmpf_bad: )

I really wanna buy one of those sets but I don't have a spare $300, they really should bring back monorail...

Be patient and join your local LUG. I got two 6991s and a bunch of extra track/motors that way. Paid about 200USD for the lot. Forget about 6399, it's really way too expensive and you can MOC something just as nice with pieces in your stock, imho

The moulds may have been destroyed or not (if never seen a really good source for this quote), but Mark Stafford have said that TLG did _not_ make money of that system. IF they made a new one, it would probablty be in 400USD range and thus only targeted to AFOLS. Who does not buy enough LEGO :sceptic: So, it's a no go for TLG

Also, it's not really kid friendly. It's large, very expensive (even back in the day, _I_ did not have one, my friends either and we sure had shitloads of LEGO and parents somewhat willing to pay)

Lastly, you do not buy a monorail and drop into your city/train layout. You _design_ your layout around the monorail as it is extremely unflexible and commands it's place. And that is in three dimensions :wink:

Really difficult :hmpf_bad:

Lastly, you do not buy a monorail and drop into your city/train layout. You _design_ your layout around the monorail as it is extremely unflexible and commands it's place.

Yeah, I've heard people saying the same thing. It's a set that looks cool, but it's a "closed end" set that you can't do much with.

I always loved the 80 airport monorail exactly as is, it was one of the most perfect sets imo

I always wanted one as a kid but there was not a hope in hell that my parents could afford one. To be honest I don't now see the appeal. I suppose as a train fan if they made a new one I'd buy it but only for the sake of having the most up to date thing i fear. I don't think I'd actually get it out and use it much.

i am not that convinced by the price argument, if TLG would make one again, not for 400 USD but for 199, it'd sure be a best-seller..

Then an upper-floor mid-station...

Is "The Mystery on the Monorail" written by Agatha Brickstie? :wink:

As a child, I also wanted the airport shuttle, but it was way out of reach back in the beginning of the 90s. I also didn't know anybody who had it.

But I think consumption patterns have changed a lot since then. Families are having more money, children get more and bigger presents. At least here in Denmark. I guess therefore, it would not be of economic reasons an eventual relaunced monorail would not sell. It would probably be because in the last 30 years, children are "growing older faster".

It (the Airport Shuttle) is very high on my "need to buy" list, together with the metroliner. Prices are becoming higher and higher though ;)

I just reproduced the stickersheet and reproducing involves looking at the instructions etc. so a real challenge (felt like a dog with a fat and juicy sausage above its head ;))

It is a nice one indeed, only looks a bit too bulky, but that is very fine for a prototype. Interesting that there aren't that many supporters... I supported it more than a year ago.

I'm Fourty,I'm an Engineer,And now I have 4 Monorail!!

2 city and 2 Space!

TLG don't made a new one..No Problem, i buy another old...

If you want a (relatively) low cost monorail solution have a look at Hidakas project on Cuusoo http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/487

No special bricks and as much track as you care to build. I can't believe this hasn't been jumped on as a perfect way to build modern monorails.

Well I jumped on it :classic:

It is a nice one indeed, only looks a bit too bulky, but that is very fine for a prototype. Interesting that there aren't that many supporters... I supported it more than a year ago.

It's good to support it on LEGO Cuusoo but it's even better to have a go at building some yourself :classic:

I decided that the 2-wide basic brick system was the best future for LEGO monorail, so I set about making sure I could replicate track sections like all the original bespoke pieces.

I have made:

- straights of various lengths (no shortage of straights like the original!)

- curves of multiple radii

- a 90-degree crossing (one was patented but never released for the original monorail)

y_new_monorail_crossing1.jpg

- a start/stop rail with sliding stop and reverse switch on the train

x_new_monorail_start_stop3.jpg

- trains from a single loco to 5 cars with longer trains possible

- tracks of different colours for town or space (in this case Blacktron)

- hills of various heights

y_new_monorail_circuit1.jpg

- track over track supports and circuit testing

x_new_monorail_circuit1.jpg

- points and a Y-point, following Masao Hidaka's example.

- hot off the press, a multiple-point junction operated with a single PF pole reverser switch and servo motor, which was never possible before.

This one has 3 positions: as shown, 4 tracks straight and a mirror image of this picture. It can interface 2 middle tracks and 2 sidings to a 4-platform station.

v_new_monorail_junction_ovw1.jpg

I have also shown that helical tracks are possible, even with multiple radii, so world record track lengths are quite feasible.

I have enough parts for about 45 metres of new monorail track but the record for the original monorail is about 500m so far.

The only question is: are there more lots of 1x2 and 2x2 plates and 2x2 tiles in existence than the number of original monorail curves?

w_new_monorail_dt_helix1.jpg

So all tracks are possible and a lot more besides. Train control is standard PF IR, so a layout with 8 trains is quite feasible.

This system is simple, obsolescence-proof, reliable and versatile - and ideal LEGO theme!

Have a go and let's see what you can build with this system. The more of us build some and share pictures, the more support it will get and the more TLG will be convinced it will sell as a kit :classic:

More pics in my Brickshelf folder when moderated: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=517847

Mark

Edited by Mark Bellis

a very versatile principle, that's for sure! Especially the nice 4-track junction with one servo!

I agree with the monorail looking very impressive, but not being very fun to play with. I see the same with my niece who always wants to have it built when she visits (I keep it partially disassembled), but she doesn't play with it for very long. Instead she plays with some cars or spaceships.

The monorail will be kept for nostalgia, but I have no desire for Lego to put it back in production. I full-heartedly support brick-built monorails though. This is what Lego is for, not big single purpose parts.

@Mark Bellis - I have looked at your work on Brickshelf since making my original comment back in August, and you certainly have jumped on it - very impressive!

So far I've put together a simple loop and a crossover, and am working on the trains themselves now.

Many thanks to Hidaka and you for the inspiration.

I look forward to seeing the pictures :classic:

I have to work on my trains too. I have a good layout of the functional parts and the train is well able to climb the hills but I need to confirm reliability and make it look like a decent train.

Mark