Sign in to follow this  
Disco86

[LotR] Smaug attacking Laketown

Hi, just wanted to show you my entry for the 5th round of the Middleearth Lego Olympics.

The theme was to create Smaug while he is attacking Laketown. Bard is aiming at the mighty dragon with his black arrow.

8555563380_ee693e65b6.jpg

8555563172_3961f3a020.jpg

8555562822_86946dcbed.jpg

I hope you like my creation, I would appreciate if you leave a comment or visit my flickr photostream

Edited by Disco86

I love the way you did Laketown. While not exactly how i imagined it, it still looks very nice and has a unique style. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of your Smaug though. He looks more like a kite or one of those Chinese dragon costumes than an actual living dragon. I think its due to his relative simplicity and especially the wings.

Both Smaug and Laketon look incredible. The sea looks nice and pristine and the port looks really detailed too. That's an amazing MOC. :wink:

Really cool scene, nice details! The water looks superb, as well of the rest of the MOC of course :wink:

pretty nice scenery u created there.

but imho smaug looks a bit to bright - the gold just doesnt seem to fit right. maybe darkred/black would have been the better choice for the upper-parts. gold on the bottom/chest only. (though u cant see much of his chest).

keep up the great creations =)

Nice MOC - Laketown is definitvely unique, and it fits even though it is indeed quite different from how I imagined it. The water is also very nicely done - easily the highlight of the MOC.

I do agree with Deathleech though: the dragon can probably be improved... It does not really look like a proper big and menacing dragon. May be this is also due to the fact that we have quite specific images of how Smaug needs to look...

Nevertheless, very nice MOC!

Nice MOC! I know nothing of this scene since I haven't read any of the books.

Laketown is superb. I love the creation of water using that technique and then the actual structures themselves are quite well done.

I think the dragon could use some work, but overall a nice effort. I've been trying to build my own dragons and been trying I mean I want to. I actually haven't attempted anything, but making something look more organic can be quite tricky with blocks. I don't love the wing mechanism, although I was planning on using the cloth sails for wings for my dragon too. I think it is just more the shape and not the use of the cloth.

Either way, keep up the good work!

Good luck!

Personally, I love the dragon, as it is less overly complicated than others I've seen. The colours work great and the wings are smooth and (Almost) seamless.

Wow! I love the water, the dragon is incredible, and look at that woodwork on the docks! Great detail in the buildings! Great work! :wub::caroler:

Thanks for your comments ! I really appreciate that.

The people who dislike my dragon may be right. I am also not so happy with it. But building creatures is not my favourite. And we just had short time period. Also it is hard to get enough dark red parts, especially if you dont want to be ruined by the cost.

What about just using black and red for the dragon colors instead then? I think that and changing the wing shape would go a long way.

I like this a lot! Great presentation and color scheme. As for the comments on the dragon, I think the build itself has a lot of character. But, the pose may be what stands out to me. It looks like it has some articulation to it, and if so if you curled the legs up it might look more natural in flight. With the legs hanging straight down, it just seems a little akward. But, that doesn't take away from build quality at all.

Whoah! It's beautiful! The smaug looks a lot better than that pre molded one in the LEGO Lonely Mountain set. I wish LEGO made more Dragons like yours.