LEGO Historian

The most complex of all LEGO Idea Books...

Unfortunately with a LEGO image collection numbering about 10,000 images, it becomes hard to upload images all the time to Brickshelf or Flickr.

Recently I posted a thread in German on 1000steine about the 238 Idea Book... arguably the most complex building idea book of all time. It was also the first international idea book, sold in many variations in countries around the world....

This book is known in 11 variations from 1960-67.

The earliest were produced in English (Britain), German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg), French (France, Switzerland, Belgium), Flemish (Belgium), Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Italian. It was produced from 1960-62... until wheels and black bricks were introduced.

Here are 5 versions of the blue 238 book... as well as 4 further USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO versions.

The first type shows the same train page in Flemish, Dutch and German (1960-62).

Then the 2nd type with wheels shows the intro of Wheels and black bricks in German (1962-63).

Then the 3rd type was USA and Canada (bilingual)... without wheels (1961-63).

Then the 4th type was UK/Ireland/Australia... with wheels but no black tires (1962-63).

Then the 5th type was the International type (no language) with wheels, black bricks and small plates (1963-65).

http://www.1000stein...d=30004#id30004

After the blue cover types (with globe and flags)... there are the 4 USA/Canada Samsonite types... USA (1964, 1966, 1967), and Canada (1966).

Then there are also several other 238 Idea Book varieties from 1964-67 sold in Germany/Austria, the rest of continental Europe, Britain/Ireland, and Australia. These 238 books look like none of the other books, but are still found with the 238 number in many LEGO catalogs. of 1964-67.

This link shows the German/Austrian 238 Idea Book shows many of the pages in German. Then it shows a white square 238 Idea Book sold in the rest of Continental Europea, and then what looks like an identical 238 sold in Britain/Ireland and Australia... although the images in the books are different.

http://www.1000stein...d=29544#id29544

These images are from my LEGO Collectors Guide DVD/download found in the LEGO bazaar, Ebay and on my website. New language versions are added. Chapter 37 covers all the LEGO Idea Books from 1950-75, and Chapter 38 covers all the magazine type Idea Books from 1972-90.

Edited by LEGO Historian

I just *love* these old Ideas Books. For me they show what Lego is all about: imagination. In these early

days when wheels did not exist, you could make trains and cars. I've got two children of ages 6 and 4.

They don't care much for 'my' 10220 VW Camper but much rather play with basic bricks from 6177

6177-1.jpg

This is why Lego is such a fantastic toy.

I just *love* these old Ideas Books. For me they show what Lego is all about: imagination. In these early

days when wheels did not exist, you could make trains and cars. I've got two children of ages 6 and 4.

They don't care much for 'my' 10220 VW Camper but much rather play with basic bricks from 6177

This is why Lego is such a fantastic toy.

Stinky... back then the ONLY unusual part "trickery" was SNOT. No other special ways to manipulate the "System". :wink:

Great book, but complex building of all time? :sceptic:

As a kid I could build all that if I had the bricks. There where several constructions in later Idea Books that I couldn't figure out though ..

Noah and his stereo animals would surely be a nono today

1974... no... the models weren't the most complex building models of all time... just the assortment of all 11 variations and language versions made for over 20 different... that was the most complex part... the vast and varied collection of books under the same number. I probably should have used different words! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Ahh, most complex _book_ .. I get it Gary, sorry :blush:

I luv you posts, but it makes me quite sad knowing I had a shiiteload of those old sets + 1:87 vehicles as a kid that's now down the drain. Could have been a nice retirement plan for me as I really do think those cars, trees and stickered 1x1 round bricks are quite worthless to my current LEGO mood :sweet:

I've 1/2 of Ideas Book No. 2, pages 2-9 of 16, made all the animals on page 9 apart from 1 small dog. Made some of the trains. Written about each, what bricks used. Can you tell me what is behind the lion's back legs? Guess a 2×4 bracket, but that can't be.

Yes, is the most complex, I've separate files of each image, from books 1, 2 & 3. Looks as if they added some from No.3 to 32-page version of book No.1.

Edited by AndrewH7
+1 para'

Hi Andrew,

You have just revived a 10 year old topic. Be aware that "necro posting" is frowned upon. Only do this when you have useful information to add to the topic.

Since you asked a genuine question, it's okay for now. But please be aware if you make future posts.

Thanks!