Bricksan

Leg Godt City - Update 24th Sep 2013

Update 24-9/13 - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80469&st=25#entry1702856

Update 30/7/13 - http://www.eurobrick...9

Update 3/7/2013 - http://www.eurobrick...9

Progress pictures

9398504279_f77e29f989.jpg

9398504387_4a47a56449.jpg

9398504605_a5c349cde5.jpg

For the last year or so I have been planning, building, destroying and re-building my grand plan of having a large scale LEGO City layout called Leg Godt City (The names means play well in Danish). Originally starting life as a plan just to have sets in a layout, to then me becoming a fan of Modular buildings and me building the Coastguard HQ mk.1.

I then when back to the drawing board and started planning on a city based on just modular buildings, this resulted in the Coastguard HQ mk.2 and the start of the Chilis restaurant based on instructions purchased from Brick City Depot. I then had the crazy notion of build brick build roads, with a 48×48 baseplate sized road cost close to £60, while don’t get me wrong it looked awesome, the cost, size was just not practical so last month I went back to the planning stage yet again.

Since then I have finished Chllis, almost finished the changes to the Coastguard HQ mk.3 and started building the new look water front (marina). The water side this time was the starting point, I wanted the water level to be lower that the street level so I got some more MDF from my local DIY store that was 2 bricks high, this allowing me a lot more scope for detail when building the new water front.

You can see the LDD concept work over on Brick Fanatics as well as detail articles. I will update with photos here as I progress

Definitely great! I think Coastguards have a better way to have fun than firemen... Pool table instead of ping-pong table, that's cool!

The 8 wide buildings will bring some dynamism in the front street. The back facade of the coastguard building looks quite good and "realistic".

Really looking forward to see it grow!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers everyone. I will post photos of Chillis once it is complete and I am now working on the modifications to the Emporium.

Beautiful work on your city Bricksan .

That is quite a change from your last version will you be still using the marina or down play that area since you have changed the viewing angle of you display

Bill

This is awesome. The orange really jumps out; great choice. Not sure if I missed something, but it looks similar to the Fire Brigade modular; whether on purpose or not, you did a great job with this.

Beautiful work on your city Bricksan .

That is quite a change from your last version will you be still using the marina or down play that area since you have changed the viewing angle of you display

Bill

The marina will still be there as you can see the harbour is there still but I will no longer be using any CITY sets, I plan on having another building next to chillis and boats in the marina and then a new larger scale beach next to that.

This is awesome. The orange really jumps out; great choice. Not sure if I missed something, but it looks similar to the Fire Brigade modular; whether on purpose or not, you did a great job with this.

It is based on the FB just took it to the next level with double bay, double the depth and detail ;-)

I'm a total fan of the complete setup, working on a simpler waterfront scene with my wife and this has given me some definite ideas mostly to do with water (as we discussed in flickr). So far the buildings in mine are either outright kits from lego or modded.

This is a great project. I really like the look of what you've actually built thus far, and I know the restaurant is going to look nice as well (I've got my own copy of the original sitting on a shelf). Looking forward to updates on this!

Since my last post The Chilis restaurant is 95% complete and I even started to place orders for the next building, however something for me was bugging my about my layout.

The issue was the roads, I found the baseplate road layout too narrow and too restrictive for my ideas, I want to be able to build crossings and train or tram tracks into my city. I also disliked the Marina entrance as you had to go up to go back down to sea level

I thought before I proceed to build any further I had to explore the idea of replacing the road baseplates with SNOT (Studs Not On Top) roads, I looked at other peoples ideas and opened LDD and started designing I started originally with a 32 baseplate idea but soon found that working on a 48×48 size allowed for much more detail, my starting pointing was the straight road outside the Chilis restaurant the pavements were designed 8 studes wide and the dark bluish paving tiles used in all modulars site on 8×8 plates on top of a brick frame that is one brick high. to connect the road to the plate and pavements I used the 1×4 bricks with studs on the side at both ends of the plate. The opposite side is the same without the 1×4 bricks with studs on the side as the road at that end had tiles to finish off the look.

The actual road is built using 1 brick wide bricks on their side, for the yellow markings one side uses plates the other are titles for the white road markings I used white tiles. The middle design allows for various different markings based on UK road markings such as double white lines and single white lines. The paving was kept to the similar style to what is used in modular buildings, the new street lights used the old ligh gray colour but give a bigger height and a better, cleaner look that those found in City sets.

The overall design uses 559 elements including the baseplates. The roads will connect using 1×4 technic brick and connector pins, each straight road can have one 32×32 and one 32×16 building or one 48×32 building or three 16×16 buildings. Depending on your design layout. I already have over 300 elements ready to build this road and will be getting the rest later this week.

8631768346_a2c4045f9a.jpg

8630661311_1a98dd1ba7.jpg

http://brickfanatics...ity-snot-roads/

Update Time

For the last year or so I have been planning, building, destroying and re-building my grand plan of having a large scale LEGO City layout called Leg Godt City (The names means play well in Danish). Originally starting life as a plan just to have sets in a layout, to then me becoming a fan of Modular buildings and me building the Coastguard HQ mk.1.

I then when back to the drawing board and started planning on a city based on just modular buildings, this resulted in the Coastguard HQ mk.2 and the start of the Chilis restaurant based on instructions purchased from Brick City Depot. I then had the crazy notion of build brick build roads, with a 48×48 baseplate sized road cost close to £60, while don’t get me wrong it looked awesome, the cost, size was just not practical so last month I went back to the planning stage yet again.

Since then I have finished Chllis, almost finished the changes to the Coastguard HQ mk.3 and started building the new look water front (marina). The water side this time was the starting point, I wanted the water level to be lower that the street level so I got some more MDF from my local DIY store that was 2 bricks high, this allowing me a lot more scope for detail when building the new water front.

You can see the LDD concept work over on Brick Fanatics

Progress So Far - Chilis

The first section to be completed is the Chilis Restaurant this is based on instructions purchased from Brick City Depot, the models and instructions are fantastic. I loved his version of Chilis and went and purchased the instructions at the backend of 2012. However I only used the instructions as a starting point on LDD. While I kept changing mind with the overall layout, the idea for this building didn’t. The front stayed true to the instructions except some minor changes, the downstairs seating area has not changed, in the original design the kitchen was on the ground floor and there was two toilets, no upstairs and a middle section section that only served to make the building tall. The original design had brown walls down the sides and then light bluish gray at the back.

9041638964_4723379690_z.jpg

Chilis by 13inthirteen, on Flickr

After a few re-designs in LDD and in brick to fit with various marina sections the entire back of the building was redesigned. The sides became light bluish gray, I replaced one of the toliets for stairs, where the original kitchen was became part of the marina with flower boxes and a rubbish bin area, this allowed customers access to the restaurant via the marina. The building connects to the marina the same as modulars connect together.

9039417109_4a95049890_z.jpg

Chilis (1) by 13inthirteen, on Flickr

The upstairs is where things really are unique as I mentioned there wasn’t a second floor, this meant the front stack needed changing to allow for a second floor. I decided to have the kitchen at the front allowing for a large area to make it look like a real kitchen then the back became an outdoor seating area, giving customers a view of the marina while eating.

9039416115_67ef22cce9_z.jpg

Chilis (3) by 13inthirteen, on Flickr

Altogether the building cost around £200 as Dark Red elements are not cheap. I enjoyed building this model and the detail in it makes it one of my favourite buildings. I always find a building comes to life when you add the minor details and the minifigures.

9041638696_180032eac9_z.jpg

Chilis (4) by 13inthirteen, on Flickr

9041637708_b5b75e41f3_z.jpg

Chilis (14) by 13inthirteen, on Flickr

More photos can be seen here --> http://brickfanatics.co.uk/leg-godt-city-chilis/

Thanks ok double update time as I have done both section 1 and 2 of the marina.

You can read details about section 1 here --> http://brickfanatics.co.uk/leg-godt-city-marina-section-1/

And section 2 here --> http://brickfanatics.co.uk/leg-godt-city-marina-section-2/

Photos of section 1 this sites at back of Chilis and also back of a yet to be designed 16 stud wide building.

Here is some photos of progress. It has been slow due to my new job working for LEGO (when you come home from work somedays last thing you want to do is pick up more LEGO)

9199212277_e6c4060077.jpg

Overview of the first marina section, you can see all the detail including the arches and wood tiles

9201993634_b4ea94d49e.jpg

Throwing the dirty water overboard, one of my fav pieces of this section

9201992978_44e3c91b72.jpg

Side view of the connection parts

9201992602_a395196ce2.jpg

This is a birdseye view

Photos of section 2 this includes rest of the long pier and boat launch ramp including a power boat being launched.

9401271096_70a4042d75.jpg

Side overview

9398505873_5e76c9e45d.jpg

View of the power boat going into the water

9401270698_c7f9caf089.jpg

view of the trailer submerged in the water

9398505253_93ff61db3b.jpg

view of the lights that light up the pier

9398505071_0b30d6b354.jpg

View of truck as well as the drunken tramp and his dog

This is an birdseye view of the marina so far:

9398504605_a5c349cde5.jpg

9398504387_4a47a56449.jpg

9398504279_f77e29f989.jpg

That’s very clever how you masked the line from the partial trailer with the 1x1 clear studs. It looks very realistic.

Bill

Really nice, I love the water effect and the trailer hidden in the water :)

Thanks for sharing your work. All details make this scene "real". :wub:

One thing make me perplex, how do you connect the fence on the pier?

Very nice its coming along quite well. l noticed connector pins on the port. What do they connect to?

I love this addition, it all looks really good. I love the woodwork affect and the barrels are a great touch. As everyone else has said the trailer/water effect is very clever too, as is the chap tipping the water out, very well done!! :classic:

I look forward to the next update! Happy building :laugh: