Kintobor

Heroica RPG - Quest #61: Grim Grinning Ghosts

Heckz looks at him confused "What information?"

"I think he is talking about the list of chosen heroes. He states, that he could not get out that night to bring it to the Hall. And remember? It was not just a list, it was huge letters. If you ask me, this is just a big story. There are no ghosts or something like that. We are here to find that out. I hope we get paid well enough for such a silly job."

"I think he is talking about the list of chosen heroes. He states, that he could not get out that night to bring it to the Hall. And remember? It was not just a list, it was huge letters. If you ask me, this is just a big story. There are no ghosts or something like that. We are here to find that out. I hope we get paid well enough for such a silly job."

"Actually I think he states that the old man we saw at the hall couldn't get out of his shack. I am assuming this old man is in fact a ghost". Heckz points at the small structure with the green door and asks Father McCreary "Is that Mr Timmins shack?"

Edited by Eric Su

"Oh, yes, what coincidence...." Amma rolls her eyes.

(away for couple of hours. have fun...)

"You know what? There were big red letters all over the walls of the Hall in Eubric that were telling us to come here. Creepy, eh? So, just that I understand you right: Your gravedigger says he was harassed by ghosts? Do you believe him?"

8548990323_3fc0416d6b_m.jpg

"I should have known. The spirits in this cemetery are getting cockier by the day. That sounds like something they'd do. The reason I hired you is because it's become a major risk to both my staff and the public. We can't properly bury everyone who comes through our doors due to this group of infuriating spirits. It's been known to some, but our cemetery's been haunted for decades. However, our local population simply keeps to themselves, and wander about the cemetery at night. But every few years we see a surge of paranormal activity. Other, more malicious spirits see our cemetery as a haven, and cause havoc around the area. It's usually dealt with quickly, but this time is different. Come, I'd like to show you something."

McCreary leads the party to the east end of the church. What they see is truly disheartening.

8548987583_ec021e8e73.jpg

"The church's stain glass windows have been smashed in, not by the living, but by the dead! Never in my years as this church's pastor have I encountered a more malicious group of ghosts! The problem's been bad before, but this is intolerable! I'm at wits end with the religious leaders in the area, and the rampant undead. Which is where you come in. I want you to get rid of the unwanted undead, and deal with it before these spooks do anymore damage to the cemetery grounds. As to your question, after considering what happened at the Hall, I believe his every word. Mr. Timmins has worked here most of his life, and understands the severity of the situation."

He pulls out a map of the cemetery out of his robes and shows it to the party.

"Now then, these areas have seen the most amount of activity, and they are where you'll find most of the ghosts. You will visit each area and deal with whatever threat is in the area."

THE EUBRIC CEMETERY

8550082230_5571b31829.jpg

1. The Old Well

A very ominous noise has been emitting from The Old Well, often asking passersby cryptic riddles. Solve its riddle and defeat whatever’s living down there. If the heroes fail the riddle, the area will be lost.

2. The Unmarked Mausoleum

Wealthy individuals get buried in this maze of coffins. Some ominous beings have been spotted inside, and need to be removed from the premise. If the party comes to the entrance of the Mausoleum twice before finding the spooks, the mausoleum will be lost.

3. The Lover’s Grove

The heroes must find where the awful racket is coming from in the trees. Shaking a tree will cause the individual causing the noise to jump to another tree, causing the bats in the one he was in to fly off. If four of the six trees are disturbed, the area will become infested with bats, and will be lost.

4. The Hero’s Monument

A trio of nasty spooks have been hanging around the Hero’s Monument. See what they want and deal with them properly.

5. Tombstone Row

A group of skittish ghosts have infested this row of tombstones. Every time the party investigates a tombstone, the ghosts move to a new tombstone, and desecrate the one they were hiding in. Out of the 12 tombstones, if 6 are desecrated, the area is lost.

"If the above conditions are not met for the area, or if you flee from the ensuing battle, the area will be lost. If three of the five areas are lost, you will fail in your mission. The price to fix these windows is expensive enough. Are there any questions about your task?"

"Actually I think he states that the old man we saw at the hall couldn't get out of his shack. I am assuming this old man is in fact a ghost". Heckz points at the small structure with the green door and asks Father McCreary "Is that Mr Timmins shack?"

"Why yes it is. I believe it was built around the same time the church was, around 400 years ago. And no, he is not a ghost, he's quite alive. He's in his shack right now, and I would suggest visiting him before heading out."

Edited by Kintobor

Em nods, tapping his chin. "The Old Well might be a good place to start, as it seems the simplest of the five. I suggest we do them in order to make it easier to keep track of."

Em nods, tapping his chin. "The Old Well might be a good place to start, as it seems the simplest of the five. I suggest we do them in order to make it easier to keep track of."

"Not in order, maybe like this:

1-4-3-5-2."

OOC: For lover's grove, will the creature return to a tree that was already disturbed?

"I agree, the well might be a good place to start. After we visit Mr Timmin of course." Jeaux didn't like the idea of hunting spirits. The dead should be able to rest in peace, not spending the rest of eternity antagonizing the living. The entire idea of fighting those who had already lost their lives filled him with an immense sadness. With any luck, we may be able to return these spirits to their rest.

OOC: If Lover's Grove and Tombstone Row are both random chance, then our odds don't look good for either. I figure we have a 50% chance of finding the monster before ruining Lover's Grove and a 41.7% chance in Tombstone Row.

OOC: As of now, LTPro is being replaced by KingoftheZempk.

We'll move into the cemetery once he's posted.

Edited by Kintobor

"So far the information. You didn't answer my question whether you have something to eat. I can think better and fight better when I am nit hungry."

She turns to the party. "Let's wait for the backup Hero and then we visit the old man. Whatever old means in human words."

Kiray walks up to the group.

"Hello," she says, "I'm Kiray, you're replacement hero. Are we to move on to our first bit of business now?"

"Greeted, Kiray. Nice to have another woman around. Although you do not have such a nice beard like I have.

Let's go to Mr Timmins now."

Sorry, I was away for two days. Can I resume? Or am I out already?

Edited by LTPro

OOC: At my discretion, yes I will let you join. But next time, if you know your going to be away, please either contact the QM, or signify in you post when you sign up for the quest.

PARTY

8166070567_0eaa8039b6_t.jpg

Stigveladi ("Amma") Kötturin (PsyKater) *Party Leader*

247 years old dwarven Mage (f)

Level 7

Power: 10 (Lvl 7 + WP 3)

Health: 12/12 (Base 4 + Lvl 7 + Cat Statuette 1)

Ether: 11/11 (Base 4 + Lvl 7)

Gold: 8

Equipment: Dwarven Broomstick (WP: 3), Cat Statuette (+1 HP)

Inventory: Fragment of an Opal (Gem; Ice), Scroll of Inspiration, Bedroll, Potion, Tonic (2x)

Heroica01.jpg

Jeaux Elmfyre (joeshmoe554)

Automaton male, Ranger

Level 4

Power: 10 (Level 4 + WP: 5 + Artifact boost: 1)

Defense: 0

Health: 9/9 (base HP: 6 + Level bonus: 3)

Gold: 75

Equipment: Eminus (WP: 5; bow), Ranger's Quiver (WP+1; backwear)

Inventory: Bow (WP: 4; bow), Bedroll, Smoke Bomb, Venom, Potion x4, Holy Bomb x3

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. (emjajoas)

Race: Human.

Class: Ranger.

Level 3

Power: 6

Health: 8/8

Gold: 5

Equipment: Bow(WP:5), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows)

Inventory: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone, Nostrum, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Potion x5, Remedy x3.

8518902849_2f7f14fd9d_t.jpg

Heckz Brutenhal (Eric-Su)

32 year old male Mage.

Level: 1

Power: 4

Health: 5

Ether: 5

Gold: 5

Equipment: Cheap Wand (WP 3)

Inventory: Opal (Ice), Bedroll

photo-thumb-32837.jpg?_r=1362378824

Zoltan (LTPro)

22 Year Old Male Human Knight

Level 1

Power: 4

Defense: 2

Health: 10/10

Gold: 10

The church bell rings again.

DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG!

The sun's beginning to disappear in the horizon, as the sky turns into a dark orange. Night's almost upon the city of Eubric.

"My goodness, is it that late!? Well heroes it's getting dark, and my wife is waiting for me! I will see you tomorrow morning, once the job is complete. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask Mr. Timmins. Now then, I'm locking the church up. Do take care. I pray that you'll keep safe this evening."

And with that Father McCreary departs for the evening, down the now quiet city road. An eerie silence travels on the wind, with only the sound of the breeze to be heard. The party makes their way over to Mr. Timmins's shack. A soft light illuminates from the dilapidated shack, a steady stream of smoke billowing out of the chimney. Mr. Timmins reluctantly comes out.

8548987513_4052c84cbc.jpg

"So your the heroes the god pastor hired? I can assume you guessed by now, but I'm Mr. Timmins, the grave digger and grounds keeper. However it's rather hard to do said job when these blasted ghosts keep you trapped in your shack! You hear me stupid ghost! I'm not afraid of you! You won't hold me back!!"

He seems to catch shortness of breath, and proceeds to take deep breaths. He re-postures himself.

"I'm retiring soon. This is only a slight kink in the knot before I'm finished with this job. Father McCreary has left me with a few items which he believes will come in handy. However, he also wants me to sell them to you at a decent price. You can always come back to restock, but do realize I only have a limited supply of each item, and once I run out, I'm not running around trying to find you more. If you ever get into any trouble around the cemetery, just come talk to me, I'm here all night."

heroica-potion.jpgPotion – Restores 10 health to the target. Costs 5 gold. (2 in stock)

heroica-tonic.jpgTonic – Restores 5 ether to the target. Costs 15 gold. (3 in stock)

heroica-remedy.jpgRemedy – Removes all negative effects from the target. Costs 10 gold. (2 in stock)

"So, you heading out now, or are you going to purchase something? You can always come back if you need something."

Edited by Kintobor

Jeaux glanced over the items. They were the same things he could get in the Eubric Marketplace for approximately the same prices. Jeaux thought there might be more this groundskeeper could provide than he was aware of.

"I've heard the Mausoleum can be something of a maze. I don't suppose you might have a map of that area, being a grounds keeper and all."

The grave digger looks about, a look of embarrassment about him.

8550086744_aa54e16f6f_m.jpg

"I did have a map on me at one point. Where it is now, I have no idea though. For what I know, it could have floated on the wind all the way to Dastan."

OOC: If you guys are ready to head out, just let me know, and I'll get you guys to your next destination before I let go of the leash and allow you to bash some incorporeal heads in. Don't worry, if you want to come back to buy items you can.

Edited by Kintobor

"Mr Timmins, can you tell me some riddles you heard at The Old Well? I just wanna know how difficult they are. Oh and, are there any items of use other than these in your shack?"

Edited by Eric Su

"You ever hear of a game called "Mastermind"? It's rather popular these days among individuals in the districts. Supposedly from what I've heard the... thing haunting in the well has been asking people riddles similar to that game. I'm not overly familiar with the game myself, but perhaps you've heard of it? If not, I've heard the being isn't cheap, and has given passerby's the rules in full detail. However by that point, their usually running away in stark white terror."

Edited by Kintobor

OOC: Ooh, good game!

"I'll take one of those remedies, you never know when one might come in handy." Jeaux handed the groundskeeper 10 gold pieces in exchange for the remedy leaving himself with only 15 gold remaining.

Jeaux turned toward Stigveladi, "I'm ready to leave whenever you are, Have we decided where to venture first?"

"But of course!"

He scoops up Jeaux's coins and enters his shack. A few moments later he returns to the automaton with a vial of blue liquid.

"I hope you won't need to use this, but knowing these ghouls... I highly doubt it."

Heckz looks dissapointed "Oh, that kind of riddle game." Heckz turned at Jeaux "I think we should start at either number one or number four."

Heckz looks dissapointed "Oh, that kind of riddle game."

"Look, if you disagree with the thing's sense in riddles, go beat some sense into him! Or her. Or it. I'm sure what it is actually."

Edited by Kintobor

"I will take another Potion. You never know."

ooc I will check in within the next two hours. Can we wait this long before we move on? I am sorry, as I am really glad that we have a rather quick moving party. May I ask what timezones you all are in?

"Look, if you disagree with the things sense in riddles, go beat some sense into him! Or her. Or it. I'm sure what it is actually."

Heckz's once brown eyes turned green and shiny white teeth turned into a joke of yellow teeth. He spoke with a tone of voice that was not his. "I'l let this one pass, but if you talk to me like that again I'l kick you in th--". Heckz's apperance and voice turned normal again "Oh, sorry for that."

OOC: No, my character doesn't have multiple personalities.

Edited by Eric Su

OOC: Eastern time zone, up in good old Canada. If anyone else wants any of the items, let me know, but I'm moving you guys into the cemetery. You can always go back and purchase items at the shack. BTW, THANK YOU HECKZ! I need to introduce you to one more group of NPCs before I let you loose. Also, if you buy something, make sure you mark both the deduction in coins and the new item in the character index.

"But of course! Here, you'll probably need it."

He heads back into his shack, and comes out with the potion for Amma.

Heckz's once brown eyes turned green and shiny white teeth turned into a joke of yellow teeth. He spoke with a tone of voice that was not his. "I'l let this one pass, but if you talk to me like that again I'l kick you in th--". Heckz's apperance and voice turned normal again "Oh, sorry for that."

OOC: No, my character doesn't have multiple personalities.

Mr. Timmins's legs begin to shake violent, as he begins to sweat uncontrollably. His face turns pale as he backs into his shack, and hastily closes the door. You hear the sound of multiple locks being put in order, as well as heavy panting from inside the house. It seems as if you've scared him off for the time being. With no one else around, the party makes their way into the cemetery.

DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG! DONG!

A cool breeze blows its way through the cemetery, as a thin patch of fog begins to form around the party's feet. Off in the distance you can hear crows calling out to each other as the moon rises into the cloudy sky. It's not long before the party encounters their first otherworldly beings.

8550088560_15d607f086_t.jpg

"I must disagree with you entirely. "Little Keep on the Borderlands" was far too pretentious for my tastes. Wigglepike has written far better works than that!"

8550088522_fbf06709dd_t.jpg

"Really? I found it rather enjoyable to be quite frank. Much better than his comedy, "The Merchant of Eubric"!"

8548989639_ae8b07cc1a_t.jpg

"Are you mad! There is so much to love about the "Merchant of Eubric"! I can't stand it when people say they don't understand it!"

"And who was the last person you talked to, besides us?!"

The skeleton behind the tombstone goes into a hysterical laugh. The one with the bottle does a double take after noticing the party.

"Oi! New guests! Shall we greet them?"

"I don't see why not!"

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Scary!"

"I'm Jerry! Hi!"

"I'm Thomas Jefferson!"

"How do ya do!"