Tobiasz

HMS Surprise - 24 gun frigate

[pid][/pid] 146A

1main.jpg

Link to a few bigger photos - click on the picture to enlarge image, sorry for poor quality

1.jpg_thumb.jpg 2.jpg_thumb.jpg 3.jpg_thumb.jpg

The whole gallery (when public) http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=524177

Hi, I'd like to present my new frigate - HMS Surprise. She's of course based on the Master and Commander movie and Patrick's O'Brian books, but she isn't a replica. I only have a inspiration of real HMS Surprise (exactly HMS Rose). The ship isn't perfect but I think I make progress to my first frigate HMS Hispaniola. The ships are similar - I only change the colour scheme and generally improve the Surprise. I also done a new string rigging and I'm very pleased for it. It was the worst thing during the building and took the most of time. The sails are the same that in Hispaniola but I soak them in tea. At the end I want to credit Perfectionist, Bonaparte, Captain Greenhair and a few other builders from Eurobricks - they gave me lots of inspiration and ideas.

Enjoy!

Very nice, the sails and rigging look great, the stern looks interesting but the brickshelf gallery isn't public yet so I'll just have to check that out later.

I also done a new string rigging and I'm very pleased for it. It was the worst thing during the building and took the most of time.

yes, I most definitely agree :cry_sad: .

Amazing work! The sails, masts, and rigging look very professional. The hull also looks very well built. Is there an interior?

Super job, we need more ship MOCs around.

The only thing I'd do different is that it appears to be flush-decked, whereas a frigate of the 24 gun class would have at least had a quarterdeck and fo'c'sle, if not a poop deck as well.

Altogether though it's a great MOC!

Edited by cortman

Looks quite nice. 7 midsections is large for a frigate. You could have made her a 28gun with 4 guns on the topdeck. The sails look a tad small, but they're looking nice too. A custom rigging is laways worth the effort IMO. Glueing strings can dave a lot of time vs making knots. I'll say a few more words when the gallery finally becomes public. Please post more pictures when you complete a MOC. :grin:

You definitely did a good job here!

I like the colourscheme, the proportions, the deck details and the fact that it has an interior.

I'm not sure if I should index it right now though. I think you could make it more perfect with some small adjustments.

For example, you really did a great job on the sails, but I think the spanker sail should be larger.

It should almost reach the deck and there should be another beam at the bottom.

The sail just above it (mizzen topsail) should have another yard as well.

You can see this if you look closely to a picture of HMS Surprise.

Also, the edges of the crow's nests should be rounded at the front.

Nevertheless, like I said, you already did a great job.

I really like the stern and the rigging is of a high standard for it being a LEGO ship.

Great job! I like and see the combination of techniques of other great LEGO ship-builders! I am quite surprised this hasn't received any more raves.

Now it's public! I believe you made some significant improvements compared to your previous version, but it's also obvious that you're lacking bricks and have to get along with a limited supply. The stern looks nice, maybe add a yellow tube to outline it more? For the headrails there should be one more in the middle. It would also be nice if you could close those huge gaps in the cabin, maybe with these wedge plates? Your sails look good, however they are all far too small, especially the courses and the staysails. Ohh and Admiral Croissant is right about the yards... :wink:

Anyway, that's enough critic; you made a good, sound ship and it does come close to the looks of a frigate during the Napoleonic wars. I love how you made the bow round different than anybody else. Creative solutions are always great! :thumbup:

Thanks for all comments and suggestions, I know that the ship isn't perfect but this is only the second my ship - the third will be perfect :wink:

The sails after rigging were the worst thing - the biggest problem was exactly the right size of it.

I have to admit that the construction of such a big ship takes many time and over time becomes very tiresome - I am very impatient and want to finish it very quickly but it is reflected in the quality...

it's also obvious that you're lacking bricks and have to get along with a limited supply.

That's true, but I notice that the more bricks I have, it always something missing and I need more and more...

love it. oddly enough, i recently went to visit the ship used in the movie at San Diego. She's near the Star Of India and the USS Midway. Sorry can't post pics they are way too big. I would say that you got it about perfect. Figurehead is a little off, supposed to be more like a warrior. The ship's figurehead greatly resembles the ancient greek godess Athena.

Sorry can't post pics they are way too big. I would say that you got it about perfect.

There's always the Historic Ships Index with many detailed pictures of HMS Surprise (and other ships).

So if you want to point out certain details, you could use that one.

Here we have the figurehead for example:

5567054257_03d8d42966_b.jpg

Figurehead is a little off, supposed to be more like a warrior. The ship's figurehead greatly resembles the ancient greek godess Athena.

I know that, but I don't have the right minifigure

I know that, but I don't have the right minifigure

I would suggest using gray body, a lego spear, and (if you are OK with 3rd party items) Brickforge sells helmets, spears and shields.

Super job, we need more ship MOCs around.

The only thing I'd do different is that it appears to be flush-decked, whereas a frigate of the 24 gun class would have at least had a quarterdeck and fo'c'sle, if not a poop deck as well.

Altogether though it's a great MOC!

Edited by cortman, 11 March 2013 - 10:43 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but usually a frigate of this size would have gangways connecting the quarter deck and forecastle. When the ships boats are tied down to the ribs that run across the waist it gives the appearance of being flush decked.

Looking good there Tobiaz. Classic color scheme and the rigging looks very nice. I like the improvements made over the Hispaniola especially as improvement is always the goal of our MOCs. The bow technique is interesting. I've of course seen it in many a round tower but this is the first I've seen of it on a ship and it fits well, making a nice round structure without hinges where many people would end up with something much more blocky. Your capstan also raises your anchor and this is always a nice play feature.

I see some improvements that could be made as well. The thing that sticks out to me firstly is the way the anchor comes out of the ship. The cables would actually come through a hawse hole placed at the bow right about above the ship end of the bottom headrail. My second thought is to your mast heads. As your masts step forward the top and lower masts would run parallel to each other for a short bit for the structural integrity of the mast. They would be connected at the fighting top and a few feet above that at the top of the lower mast. In bricks they would run next to each other for about 4 bricks. They would also, on an English frigate be black.

All in all your have made a very nice ship and I applaud your effort and look very much forward to your next.

That is one marvellous ship there! Nice lines, shape and rigging. :thumbup:

I would pay attention to the hull piece colours though, and perhaps you can refine the headrails a bit to match the level of detail with the rest of the ship.

Overall, very nicely done! Congratulations. :sweet: