Chilly

What should I sell to make way for new sets?

I've got the following large sets:

8880 SuperCar (x2 his'n'hers), 8435 4WD, 8466 4X4 (with Power Puller wheels), 8455 Backhoe, 8462 Tow Truck (with pneumatics and tanks),

and these small sets:

8270 Crane, 8271 Wheel Loader, 8281 Mini Tractor

and a newly purchased but as yet untouched 8110 Unimog (bought for him), plus various spares including an old 9V motor and battery, and PF M motor, battery box, switch and IR transmitter/receiver.

I like building/taking apart and don't have anything on display, dusting flat surfaces is bad enough, lego dust traps are not allowed!

I'm thinking of buying a 9398 rock crawler as the other half would like to make a LandRover Defender, and I'm on the lookout for an 8485 Control Centre.

Something has to go as the toybox is full. Any suggestions as to what (and why) would be great.

@ Chilly: Since you have two 8880 Supercars, I suppose you could sell one of them without missing it. That set is considered to be a "classic", so you should get good money for it.

I would not sell the 8466 since it has the rare Power Puller wheels and tires (which are "retired" by The Lego Group). You could sell the Unimog, since it's still available (until ~Aug 2013, the 2-year point since its release).

Personally I would not sell any of them. :sweet:

Since you have two of the 8880 super cars maybe you should sell one of those.

You asked the largest group of LEGO Technic builders/collectors on the planet what to sell? :laugh: None of us would sell any of our stuff :classic: , so the common answer will be "sell nothing". I will take that 8466 off your hands though. :grin:

I'd reccomend selling none of these. If you have any other lego sets, get rid of those first. if not, I'd be more than happy to take the lot off your hands.

I'd say, that if you can't afford new LEGO sets, you should start saving. In a few years when you have sold many of those sets, you'll start to regret ever doing that. It's better to just save some money and then you can always just purchase the sets on Bricklink (if they haven't become too old (price))

Back in 09 I bought a 8053, then my at the time fiance said my LEGO's had too go. I sold the 8053, and a few other things. Now that its just me, I,ve bought more stuff, and yes. I bought another 8053 to replace the one I sold. You just need to make more room, I went from about a 1000 pieces in 09 too around 40 to 50,000 today. MAKE ROOM!!!!

Dan

8435 is my least favourite of these sets, because it is not 4wd, yet it bears the name. Keep the blue tow truck instead. I was struggling with the same issues two months ago when 2/3 of my collection was packed away in bags to be sold later. I'm still indexing to see if all parts are there:p

Thanks all, I guess I'm not surprised by your answers. Sounds like the floor under the sofa will have to become Toybox II.

He won't let me sell his 8880, and mine is the basis for all the little, vintage instruction booklets that I have a large pile of, as well as the lessons from Sariels fantastic book and all the wonderful MOCs that appear here and on Rebrickable.

I was seriously considering selling the 8466 before I searched through this forum and discovered the rarity of the wheels. The others all have a feature or parts that are useful elsewhere, so I didn't really want to sell any of those either.

Sorry to anyone who thought they might aquire one of these, they're now firmly "not for sale".

Get some really usefull boxes and store them. If you sell them you will miss them. I can't imagine ever selling any of my lego.

H

Get a bigger toybox.

I was thinking the exact same thing :laugh:

You shouldn't sell models, because of lack of space. You only will postpone your problem, since you have to keep selling. Buy some useful storage boxes to store your parts.

You made the right choice me thinks, I wouldn't sell anything, even the sets I don't like, you never know when you will want the parts from it.

@Dluders, sell an 8880? ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!! :grin:

Good choice, turning the floor into a toybox, just don't step on anything :pir-tongue:. As other people have said, selling sets isn't a particularly great idea (in my opinion) since you never know when you might need their bricks for a project!