Sign in to follow this  
M'Kyuun

Transforming fighter (Macross-inspired)

This is the redesign I did on my stylized transformable VF-4. I took the original to BrickCon back in October, but as I had rushed to build the upper body in just a week and still make it transform, the original result was sub-par. So this is my (mostly) finalized version. Since I'm a battroid guy first and foremost, it was essential to pack as much articulation into this thing as possible. Contrary to Shoji Kawamori-san's original design, the shoulders on this model rotate and swing out to allow for increased poseability. I used ball joints for both knees and hips, and they are really the weakest aspects of the design. Overall, however, it's pretty solid and can achieve a number of free-standing poses. Top-heaviness, combined with the weak knees, limit what I can do at this point. I keep hoping LEGO will produce a ratcheting ball and socket joint. 'Til then, I'll be inserting pieces of folded paper in there to give the necessary stiffness.

For Macross/Robotech fans, the three mode conversion from Fighter to GERWALK to Battroid is standard fare, and possible with this model without removing any parts (perfect transformation).

Hope you like.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=523248

Edited by M'Kyuun

Very nice, both in mech and jet fighter modes. I especially love the bulky leg design and air intakes/flick fire missile launchers.

I always wanted to have a lego transformer that is minifig scale with great detail and that my friend,is absolutely amazing!I love it!Can you make a LDD file :laugh: ?

Thanks for the kind words! The blasters in the arms aren't actually flick-fire; the arm is hollow behind them to permit the hand to fold in there for transformation.

I designed this both in the real and in LDD; however, I did the majority with real brick, so it would take a lot of time to design it fully in LDD. I'm currently working on another Macross inspired transformable mech, so please accept my apologies.

Ah!Too bad ,i will try to copy it using only the pics then :/

Cool look, great idea, great execution, lovely functions. I always love mech designs, but my favourites are ones with galaxy patrol figures. So this is one of them.

But maybe some higher quality of photos will express your great performance better.

Thanks, Kbcakir. Originally, I had an Agents fig piloting, but the new galaxy patrol fig just seemed right for this.

Yeah, my pics could use some work. A habitual photographer, I'm not. Perhaps I'll reattempt at some point. Having looked at hundreds of other folks' MOCs, I'm aware of how much little things can improve the quality of a picture.