Werlu Ulcur

Decoupler

Right, I now have a working decoupler. :classic:

As I mentioned yesterday, the only brick based solution is to raise the track by two plates to get a sliding lock in place.

I decided to put this test in a real world situation, so I now have a basic oval and a couple of sidings. One of the sidings in on carpet, with the other being on a standard baseplate. The baseplate version has addition tiles so it can slide - not a problem on carpet or hard surfaces.

8539497724_53bc04e9e2_d.jpg

8538389697_6e48725f73_d.jpg

The test is to swap the two wagons using the sidings provided.

Once again apologies for dodgy phone video. I haven't made any cuts, so you will see a brain malfunction with the points near the end.

Full 4 min video at YT

As it stands it is a manual version, like the points. It should be beyond the wit of man to add a motor... :wink:

The colors are only for testing purposes, so it can easily be made in others.

Edited by CamelBoy68

I posted before seeing your response CB, but looks like you addressed all my doubts! It works fantastically! That's exactly what I was thinking/hoping for. Just more questions:

1) Is the base plate underneath the track necessary?

2) Could you please tell us what parts you used and how you assembled the decoupler and the switch?

Thanks man! This is better then I expected :thumbup: !

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

Hi Werlu Ulcur,

Thanks for the feedback.

1) The green baseplate is just showing that it can work with one, as many layouts are built on them. In the clip you should see that one of the sidings is just resting on the carpet (although it still needs to be raised)

2) I'll will be putting parts/guide up shortly.

cheers

CB68

There is nothing to this build, a few common parts

Three sections make up the decoupler.

1) Track section

2) Decoupler

3) Lock

For this to work the track needs to be raised by 2 plates. Although I only show the extra plates around the decoupler, you will need to add extra 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 plates under other parts of the track.

In the video clip there is one 2 x 4 plate under the first section of the siding & 2 x (2 x 4) plates under each of the other straights.

In this example I am using a baseplate, as many people use them in their layouts.

1) Track Section

If you are using a baseplate, then it is up to you where to place these bricks, as long as they match up with the track.

8539802806_5aa6d59fb6_d.jpg

8539803394_7fdbe34f45_d.jpg

8538696275_33c672fb06_d.jpg

8539804616_a86afc0324_d.jpg

2) Decoupler

8538694619_4996de9154_d.jpg

3) Lock

8539801560_df9a124aa9_d.jpg

Part List for baseplate version (does not include track or baseplate)

8538697193_6504f7f51e_d.jpg

The freestanding version uses less parts, but is built in the same way except as above and should look like this:

8538697381_60b62d9d0e_d.jpg

The tiles are not necessary.

Part List for freestanding version (no track)

8539801774_8c9ff435aa_d.jpg

The final version should look like this:

8539802038_075fc9d8c8_d.jpg

Note that the decoupler piece should be in the gap of the track and be laying as low as possible.

Slide the lock all the way out and the decoupler should pivot, slide back in to lock in place.

The colors are just a guide, you can make them what you like.

cheers

CB68

Edited by CamelBoy68

What a great uncoupling system. No good for the old 12volt system of course, but I can see this design being taken up by AFOL train folk everywhere and your name being put up there with the great innovators of the hobby.

just looking at that so there is no hinge in there it just sits on top. Also to slide the lock back under would you need to touch the top bit to get it back under it. your video sort of cut out half way though i wanted to see more of unit moving.

What a great uncoupling system. No good for the old 12volt system of course, but I can see this design being taken up by AFOL train folk everywhere and your name being put up there with the great innovators of the hobby.

I don't have any 12v myself, but looking at pictures, is there enough room to have a 1 x 6 plate on either side of the centre ?

just looking at that so there is no hinge in there it just sits on top. Also to slide the lock back under would you need to touch the top bit to get it back under it. your video sort of cut out half way though i wanted to see more of unit moving.

That's right - the decoupler is balanced on the track. The weight of the plates/tiles is what makes it pivot.

At the moment you judt need to hold it down to slide it in. I see what you mean, it would be good if the sliding motion was the only thing to do. Let me ponder...

Ok, I have pondered :classic: and make a slight modification to the decoupler to allow the lock to slide under it with no extra assistance.

The red color is just to highlight the changes.

Here's a pic, I'll post a clip later.

8540709702_fedd1dd892_d.jpg

Another day, another version of the decoupler. :look:

The Mk III supercedes the second version, which although worked perfectly, only did so with low clearance wagons.

Close, but no cigar.

I think Zephyr1934 noticed this on the original prototype, so hopefully the Mk III has fixed it.

Lets run through the changes:

The Decoupler

This has now grown to a 2 x 10 plate and has some extra parts in the middle. The wedges are now the important part, with the other bricks being addition weight.

8551428404_5b55a5c9a1_d.jpg

The Base

This has been extended to match the length of the new decoupler and works in a similar way to version 2. Instead of the slider locking the decoupler, it now forces it up when pushed in.

8551430436_0313e6c7e3_d.jpg

The green plate is representing a large baseplate and would not be required in the stand-alone version, as would the tiles under the slider.

Here's a pic of it in the closed position, notice that the black shoe slider has gone, as its not required.

8551431272_7845bc47d8_d.jpg

This one shows the Mk III in the open position, with the slider holding the decoupler in place to stop the wagon/car you want to separate.

8551427428_2532e6af05_d.jpg

This clip shows the decoupler in action

I am using a small 3 siding layout to run these tests, see the next three clips.

8550329335_7306153d45_d.jpg

Small Wagons

Large Wagons

Tanker Wagons

I included these as they are fairly lightweight, just to see if that would make a difference.

I'll post a new parts/guide soon.

If you can think of anything else, I'll try and incorporate it. If you do build one, let me know how it goes. :classic:

Absolutely awesome, thanks!

What are you going to call it, the "CamelBoy Decoupler"? :wink:

May I suggest the "camel hump" ;-)

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. you are spot on. I am so putting this in my layout now you have an awsome brain on you. Could you PM me the lxf please

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. you are spot on. I am so putting this in my layout now you have an awsome brain on you. Could you PM me the lxf please

FANTASTIC, thanks!

Just to be clear, it will elevate that section of track two plates, right? And you need to come up with a name for such an awesome project.

Just to be clear, it will elevate that section of track two plates, right?

Yes, the freestanding version is raised by a 2 plate height, which means you might want to add a single plate on another track segment before the decoupler, and add a few 2 plates on the track following the decoupler, unless you want the wagons to roll slightly downhill... :classic:

As for names, I've just been referring to it as The Simple Decoupler Mkl III, snappy isn't it...... :wink:

oh, thank you Werlu Ulcur as this was your post and without it, I wouldn't have looked at it.... :classic:

Edited by CamelBoy68