Jurgen Krooshoop

Tarantula Trial truck with building instructions

Allthough this model was created in the summer of 2012, I’ve never been able to make the time to publish it. So finally, I finished the building instructions, make pictures and compiled a video to send this model onto the world wide web.

This model was make as light and simple as possible. For propulsion 1 PF-XL was used to drive all the wheels. There are no differentials. It has 1 : 7.2 gear reduction, so it’s not fast, but it is very powerfull. Steering is done with 1 PF-M motor which is mounted inside the front axle. The unimog Portal hubs and ball-joint parts create 2 flexible live axles with smooth suspension. This thing is capable of easily crossing various obstacles (including Supercars LOL).

It’s been designed to use the “standard” Truck-trial wheels and Power-puller wheels. And the colour of the bodywork can easily be changed by exchanging only 4 Technic Panels. My preferred colour are Metallic Green and Silver 8-)

It’s been thouroughly tested. I brought 2 of these Tarantula’s to the Lego Fanwelt-event in Cologne 2012, where they were driven (tortured) by kids between 5 and 8 years old. Both trucks survived, not 1 u-joint or gear was broken.

Free buiding instructions are available on the instructions page of my website. The model consists of 819 parts and weighs about 1 kg when using the 8878 rechargeable battery. Of course, the 88000 AAA-battery box can be used as well.

20130305_102541_800x600.jpg

20130305_112016_800x600.jpg

20130305_102816_800x600.jpg

example-1_800x600.jpg

example-2_800x600.jpg

Very nice,if its like any of ur other mocs it will be great :)

agree with that. will be building this after the backhoe loader v2 and mini forklift for my son.

Looks like it drives very well, especially only being driven by 1 xl motor. Are you using the new V3 receivers

tim

Great work as always jurgen,although I am not a fan of off road vehicles and cars.

Are you using the new V3 receivers

I have to be honest I have not head any thing about another new receiver..... :look:

Do you have any information regarding this new type?

I have to be honest I have not head any thing about another new receiver..... :look:

Do you have any information regarding this new type?

LOL I meant V2. :blush: .

tim

Jurgen Krooshoop's Tarantula Trial Truck has been added to Rebrickable. I like the music he composed on his video! :classic:

MOC-0596.jpg

Nice Trial Truck. :thumbup: Did you use Power Puller/8466 wheels?

Look at the first post off Jurgen, than you no the answer :wink:

I use Power puller tyres & rims, but also the 9398 tyres with the rims of the power puller wheels for this truck.

Great model, and especially great BI's... nice reward for the time spent creating LDraw parts :sweet:

Edited by Philo

@Philo: So you're one of the guys making parts for the LDraw-library ? Than I should thank you: without those parts I wouldn't be able to make these instructions.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Thanks ;) Yes, I created many LDraw parts, especially the complex-shaped Power Functions elements.

@Philo: So you're one of the guys making parts for the LDraw-library ? Than I should thank you: without those parts I wouldn't be able to make these instructions.

Philo is the man. There are lots of LDraw parts authors, but the majority of the modern Technic parts were modeled by him. He seems to specialize in the hard-to-model parts and has written a bunch of software tools used by other authors to make it easier. I think it is safe to say that we couldn't be doing what we are doing without him.

Given my recent foray into CAD building I also noticed that many, if not most of the new PF parts were modeled by him. Very much appreciated!!

I just built my tarantula today, the instructions are great but because I was missing a 36 tooth bevel gear I replaced them with knob-wheels, the performance of the truck is still nice but when it's driving forward the upper structure is tilting to the right and when driving backward it's tilting to the left. Is this caused by changing the gears or could this be something else. Who can help.

The problem I had with the tilting upper-structure is solved. I found another 36 tooth bevel gear and placed it this afternoon and the truck works OK now

Hi,

I have the same problem. The Tarantula is always tilting to the right. Maybe it's caused by the weight of the battery pack. Or it's another problem, because If i see the video, the trucks seems always stable in position. Any ideas?

Greetings

Alex